Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Should we have traded Patrick Ramsey?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-05-2005, 08:27 PM   #16
#56fanatic
The Starter

Re: Should we have traded Patrick Ramsey?

I like Ramsey too. I do believe he will be a solid QB in this league. However, as much as it pains me to say, it wont be with the Redskins. he is not "Gibbs guy" and never will be. If we dont trade him before week 6, then we get nothing for him. We should have probably taken the draft, 3rd round, and traded him. Now when the season is over, he is a free agent and we NOTHING! I think with our D, we could have gotton by with Campbell and maybe won some games. Maybe even enough to get to the playoffs. Gibbs offense, as we all have seen, doesn't seem to be very difficult. Very few audibles or changes at the line. Give to Portis, give to Portis, and give to Portis some more. Campbell showed in the preseason he is capable of making all the throws and looked very comfortable in the pocket. this is my opinion, but you know what everybody says about those.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-05-2005, 09:04 PM   #17
Duffman003
Impact Rookie

what would be an advantage of cutting lavar over trading him anyway?
Duffman003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:13 PM   #18
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman003
what would be an advantage of cutting lavar over trading him anyway?
Other than hopefully getting something in a trade, nothing. Trading or cutting a player has the same effect on the salary cap. In either case, any signing bonus is accelerated.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:56 PM   #19
heybigstar
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic
I like Ramsey too. I do believe he will be a solid QB in this league. However, as much as it pains me to say, it wont be with the Redskins. he is not "Gibbs guy" and never will be. If we dont trade him before week 6, then we get nothing for him. We should have probably taken the draft, 3rd round, and traded him. Now when the season is over, he is a free agent and we NOTHING! I think with our D, we could have gotton by with Campbell and maybe won some games. Maybe even enough to get to the playoffs. Gibbs offense, as we all have seen, doesn't seem to be very difficult. Very few audibles or changes at the line. Give to Portis, give to Portis, and give to Portis some more. Campbell showed in the preseason he is capable of making all the throws and looked very comfortable in the pocket. this is my opinion, but you know what everybody says about those.
In support of Ramsey and given the recent QB situation in NY, I dont think we can just "give it to Portis" and win football games. Defenses can stop Portis if they know we are incapable of a 10 yard pass. Look at the first 54 minutes of the Cowboys game. I think it is well worth the money to have 2 QB's that are starter-quality and 1 star-potential QB develop. QB is the most important position on the team, and it is worth it to have that kind of depth.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:16 PM   #20
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Campbell showed in the preseason he is capable of making all the throws and looked very comfortable in the pocket. this is my opinion, but you know what everybody says about those.
campbell throws a lot of ints too...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:56 PM   #21
SkinsLove24/7
Special Teams

I think we may need Ransey in case Brunnell goes down and the season is still looking good. After this season or at most next season Ramsey will not be a Redskin and Jason Campbell will be working up to being the starter in D.C.
Ramsey is a good QB and he will be successful somewhere but not here..too bad.
SkinsLove24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:07 PM   #22
Big C
Mr. Brightside

we should have traded p ram in the offseason and signed a good backup like billy volek, who prolly would have started for us. even maybe have signed vinny
Old 10-05-2005, 11:18 PM   #23
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

If people think Ramsey's value is that of a 6th round draft pick, we mine as well just keep him for as long as he wants to stay here, which is probaboly till the end of his contract. If anything we should have given him to Miami last year for a first rounder, but thats easy to second guess now because I'm sure if we did that we all would have been pretty pissed off, myself included.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:22 PM   #24
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

The short answer to your question is, "no".

The longer answer is that any team that aspires to the playoffs in the NFL must have a competent back-up QB. Too many QBs go down and you have to have someone around who can start three or four games for you in a pinch and win one or two of them. Jason Campbell is not yet ready to be relied on in that way. Ramsey was under contract and there really weren't a whole lot of better QBs out there on the free agent market last year who would fit under the Skins' cap.

So, keeping Ramsey last off-season was the right move - - even if you agree with me that Joe Gibbs was never all that thrilled to have Ramsey as his starting QB. And now that the season is started and the Skins are 3-0, trading him would be a huge mistake. Unless of course the Colts were willing to give up their guy - what's his name, Peyton Something Or Other???
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:56 PM   #25
Luxorreb
^21^

Let us all remember it is a very long season. Ramsey could see action at anytime. Brunell is much better solving pressure situations, but he could go down at anytime. And I'll bet he's more than ready.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:17 AM   #26
MTK
\m/

Ramsey isn't going anywhere during this season. After the season is a different story, but trading away that valuable QB depth and leaving a rookie one hit away from becoming the starter would be a really dumb move.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:18 AM   #27
#56fanatic
The Starter

What I am not hearing from people is that Ramseys contract is up at the end of the year. If you can get an pretty good draft pick for him, why wouldn't you want another pick? What has Ramsey shown in his games played, that makes you think Campbell couldn't do just as good if not better. 1 out of 8 passes Ramsey throws is picked off, he gets sacked 1 out of every 7 attemps and of the ones left, 1 or 2 of those a batted down. I have been a Ramsey fan since we drafted him, but with Gibbs here we dont have the time to wait on him to get the bugs out. Like I said, his contract is up at the end of the year, and if we could get a 3rd rounder, why not?
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:27 AM   #28
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
What I am not hearing from people is that Ramseys contract is up at the end of the year. If you can get an pretty good draft pick for him, why wouldn't you want another pick? What has Ramsey shown in his games played, that makes you think Campbell couldn't do just as good if not better. 1 out of 8 passes Ramsey throws is picked off, he gets sacked 1 out of every 7 attemps and of the ones left, 1 or 2 of those a batted down. I have been a Ramsey fan since we drafted him, but with Gibbs here we dont have the time to wait on him to get the bugs out. Like I said, his contract is up at the end of the year, and if we could get a 3rd rounder, why not?
You're not hearing that because you're wrong. He has another year left after this year on his contract. And the corollary to that is that he is relatively cheap. He might be a slightly expensive backup QB but it wouldn't be ridiculous like having a $13 mil backup LB. My guess is that he stays here unless they get a quality offer for him. I am thinking they'd take a 1st rounder only maybe.

As far as Campbell goes: I think the guy has all the talent to be a good QB but what exactly did you see in the slightly more than 3 quarters of pre-season football against 3rd/4th stringers and cut players that makes you think he is even remotely ready to play? You are way over-estimating what he could be expected to do my friend.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:44 AM   #29
irish
Playmaker

Traded him!? Every yahoo on this site thought PR was the man and told me I didnt understand squat about football when I predicted PR would not be the starter in the 4th game (sorry I missed my prediction by 3 games). Now the talk is PR should have been traded, gimme a break!

PR's not going anywhere until the season's done because when MB gets hurt, and he will get hurt, the team needs an experienced backup to keep the ship moving in the right direction.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:20 AM   #30
backrow
The Starter

For those who want to insert J. Campbell, check with Buffalo about Los(er)man!