Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The UGLY, the Bad and the gud

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #31
calia
Playmaker

Re: The UGLY, the Bad and the gud

Has anyone covering the Redskins asked Gruden why he doesn't use DY more, and, if so, what has the response been? Seems a no brainer to do it, and yet it seems like Gruden has had a free pass on failing to use him. I know the FB position isn't sexy. But averaging more than 2.8 YPC sure is.

Advertisements
Old 12-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #32
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

My understanding, but I don't remember where its from, is that Callahan doesn't use the fullback.

Sent from my S6 Edge
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #33
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Not sure if DY can solve the running game issues. Putting a fullback in front of the RB might help here and there, but we'll still have Lerib and Long getting blown up every other down.

Personally this running game has been a failure for the most part. Every week it's the same shit and we're averaging 2.0 a carry? SMH. I'd go with more of a pass first offense the rest of the way and stop beating your head against a wall.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #34
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
My understanding, but I don't remember where its from, is that Callahan doesn't use the fullback.
Yeah, I think it was Cooley?

I looked it up just to check though. Last year the Cowboys used a FB on 14.2% of their snaps vs this year where Jay/McVay/Bill are at 8.7%.

Imho even if Jay/McVay/Bill don't "like" to use a FB they should still cater to their personnel and be flexible in their schemes/gameplans. If they "like" to use 2+ TEs in some sets that's fine. But if we don't have the TEs capable to effectively block and provide a credible receiving threat then it shouldn't matter how much they like those sets. And we have a FB who is a great blocker, decent receiving threat and runner. They should be flexible/creative enough to adjust those plays/sets/formation and replace a TE with DY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Not sure if DY can solve the running game issues. Putting a fullback in front of the RB might help here and there, but we'll still have Lerib and Long getting blown up every other down.
The run game issues are systemic. I don't think DY will solve the running game problems by himself either. But I believe he can certainly help. Its not even speculation really, there is historical data to support it. And imo you don't need to be Joe Jackson Gibbs to move some of the plays Jay and staff like and run them from I-Form/Offset-I/Pistol-I etc...

Quote:
Personally this running game has been a failure for the most part. Every week it's the same shit and we're averaging 2.0 a carry? SMH. I'd go with more of a pass first offense the rest of the way and stop beating your head against a wall.
I would prefer we fix the issues with the run game before we quit on it. Its one thing if everything in the running was happening at an optimal level yet we still couldn't run. But, to me it at least, we are repeating the several mistakes that cause the run game to stuggle. Now if you turn some of the 1st down runs into passes I'm all for that but it most also mean some 2nd down passes become runs. In 2012 Kyle passed alot on 1st down yet was still top 5 in rushing. Some one needs to let Jay know you don't gain run balance by being heavy handed with the run on 1st down.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #35
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Offense sucked balls. Djax is a complete moron. Marinelli handed Gruden/McVay/Callahan their asses in game planning and adjustments. Special teams sucked balls.

Defense at least came to play. Still didn't pressure Cassell enough though.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:29 PM   #36
NoCalHail
Special Teams

People forget too that DY is an underrated "threat" as a FB. I used that in quotations because a FB is only going to be so much of a weapon in the passing game, but as far as FB's go, it seems like every pass he has every caught has done damage.

Why not send him in motion out of the backfield a few times a game, create some confusion for the opposing defense. There is no excuse for DY to be standing on the sideline twiddling his thumbs.
NoCalHail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:08 PM   #37
calia
Playmaker

DY had something like a 63 yard TD reception last year.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #38
rocnrik
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Offense sucked balls. Djax is a complete moron. Marinelli handed Gruden/McVay/Callahan their asses in game planning and adjustments. Special teams sucked balls.

Defense at least came to play. Still didn't pressure Cassell enough though.
Yea yea..but Kirk is the reason we lost…..according to some! by the way I agree with you!!
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote