Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Should we be concerned about the defensive line?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-08-2004, 07:41 AM   #16
backrow
The Starter

DE or not to DE!

From these FA moves, it appears HOF Coach Gibbs has bought into the LDS/cousinvinnie school of thought on the Draft.

Who cares about the draft? We do!
The "twins" from the FO do not when it comes to filling needs.
The Draft only hints at needs. FA fills them immediately. HOF Coach has done something that everyone thought he could not do. Master Free Agency! The one area concerning players and managers all the experts said he didn't have during his first go-around!
Next, is mini-camp, our 1 1/2 hour Draft, and more FA in June! HOF Coach Gibbs and his experienced coaching staff knows what they are doing, and can get started quicker having filled needs.

The Draft always addresses "Best Available" as opposed to needs!

Advertisements
Old 03-08-2004, 08:07 AM   #17
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

I don't know who all has looked at it but in the thread posted by Ghost about the mock draft by foxsports in which we draft Mike Williams, they guess that Taylor will slip to #7 because he had a terrible workout in which he ran a slow time and looked out of shape. Now if this is true, especially about him appearing at his own workout out of shape, do we really want him? Shouldn't this bring into question his discipline and desire? I know I'm not as sure about drafting him after reading this. I think the best play would be to draft down, pick up udeze, pick up jake grove, and add young depth to the d-line. after the cuts of moore, dung, and anyone else who doesn't live up to their paycheck, the skins will have enough cap space to sign the picks and maybe pick up a couple cheap veterans after the june 1st cut date.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 08:08 AM   #18
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

I meant trade down^
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:59 PM   #19
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

I agree with all your points Matty.

I'm somewhat surprised the Skins made an offer on Butler. Not that I think it's a bad move (I don't really know him), I just thought if they were going to add someone it would have been to the D line.

I can only assume one of the following:

1. They weren't able to land other D linemen that they wanted and/or they didn't really like any of the choices available.

2. They can't really cut/trade Wynn, Upshaw, Noble, Haley because of their contracts, so they figure they'll get by with those guys on the line, and instead brought in Washington to improve the pass rush from the LB position, since they were able to drop Armstead with little penalty.

3. They really like Udeze or Wilfork (or another lineman) in the draft and plan on trading down to obtain one of them.

In reality it's probably a combination of all 3. I'd very surprised if they took Taylor with the #5 pick.

GO SKINS
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 10:20 PM   #20
joecrisp
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck
I agree with all your points Matty.

I'm somewhat surprised the Skins made an offer on Butler. Not that I think it's a bad move (I don't really know him), I just thought if they were going to add someone it would have been to the D line.

I can only assume one of the following:

1. They weren't able to land other D linemen that they wanted and/or they didn't really like any of the choices available.

2. They can't really cut/trade Wynn, Upshaw, Noble, Haley because of their contracts, so they figure they'll get by with those guys on the line, and instead brought in Washington to improve the pass rush from the LB position, since they were able to drop Armstead with little penalty.

3. They really like Udeze or Wilfork (or another lineman) in the draft and plan on trading down to obtain one of them.

In reality it's probably a combination of all 3. I'd very surprised if they took Taylor with the #5 pick.

GO SKINS
I like that take, Canuck. I think you're dead-on.
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote