Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Another Corner?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-07-2004, 08:41 AM   #16
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Isn't this back to Smoots first year? 3 starter quality CB's - Smoot, DG and Bailey. I think we did OK in the coverage dept. that year....
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-07-2004, 11:28 AM   #17
MTK
\m/

Springs isn't exactly an ironman, so that's why this move makes sense. We'll be 4 deep at corner which isn't a bad positon to be in at all.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 12:25 PM   #18
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Seems like they always found our third corner last year. THis will help. It's also depth in the d-backfield. Better than we could have gotten in round five. A nice move, though it's gonna be a short draft!
Old 03-07-2004, 12:50 PM   #19
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

At least we have a 1st rounder!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:24 PM   #20
dieselhog
Special Teams

This offer sheet is a six year $15m deal. That is ludicrous for a player who will be number 3 or 4 AT BEST on the depth chart.

We really do not need to give up another draft pick either.

There is no way the Rams will match, they are laughing their asses off at a fifth rounder falling into their laps.

dieselhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:31 PM   #21
Ghost
Special Teams

Losing Champ but improving the depth of the secondary with 3 starter CBs. It would be a good move but I'm thinking the Rams could match ... when you develop your own starter-quality talent, it's nice to keep it especially when the compensation is just a fifth rounder. You're not likely to find a replacement there. And he must be a high character guy or else Gibbs wouldn't want him.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:35 PM   #22
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselhog
This offer sheet is a six year $15m deal. That is ludicrous for a player who will be number 3 or 4 AT BEST on the depth chart.

We really do not need to give up another draft pick either.

There is no way the Rams will match, they are laughing their asses off at a fifth rounder falling into their laps.

I don't think that's a bad deal at all for a #3 corner who realistically will probably see some playing time in the starting lineup considering both Springs and Smoot have been missed games due to injuries.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:36 PM   #23
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Losing Champ but improving the depth of the secondary with 3 starter CBs. It would be a good move but I'm thinking the Rams could match ... when you develop your own starter-quality talent, it's nice to keep it especially when the compensation is just a fifth rounder. You're not likely to find a replacement there. And he must be a high character guy or else Gibbs wouldn't want him.
The Rams aren't in the best of shape cap wise so this could swing in favor of the Skins.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:07 PM   #24
dieselhog
Special Teams

I just get the impression that we spend for the sake of it at times. I would rather have seen us draft a corner with that 5th pick and bring him on.

It is annoying. There are Rams affiliated web sites that hardly know anything about this guy and yet he is worth over $2m a year?

It just seems crazy to me. We're paying starters money for a nickelback if we get him. I wouldn't mind betting that his base salary would be higher than Smoot's and that's how players get extremely disgruntled.

Look, I really hope I'm wrong. I hope he turns out to be worth it, but we could have got some reasonable help at DT for that kind of coin.

:confused:
dieselhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 04:16 PM   #25
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

#1.) that isn't a lot of money for a cb who was a starter last year with pretty good stats
#2.) we need a starting quality cb as our nickle because BOTH Springs and Smoot have had durability problems
#3.) 3WR sets are becoming more and more common and having three possible starting cbs will be crucial in those types of situations
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 04:16 PM   #26
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I'm going to agree. I really dont like this as much as some people. Its not really the 5th rounder that gets too me, but what exactly are we signing him for? To be a nickleback @ two mill a year when Smoot isnt even making a million dollars this year? I do think he's good to have as a backup, but does this mean Baumon or Jimoah are gonna get cut? One of them is going to have to go, cause it dosent make sense to have three nicklebacks in there. I really thought Bauman did a ok job, but we shall see. I'm not outcrying against htis or anything, but i Just dont favor it as much as some of the other stuff we have been doing.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 04:56 PM   #27
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Uh, SMoot has durability problems. Go take a look at last year and see what kind of pain he played with. He had possibly the most painful injury you can still play with. Jimoh wouldnt exactly be a huge loss for the skins. I can only think of one person on the board crying. Hes alright, but not as good as Butler.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 07:44 PM   #28
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

I give major props to Smoot for playing hurt last year, that took major stones. But with the possible aquisition of Butler, he wouldn't have to risk further injury and would be replaced by a young player with almost an entire season as a starter. Thats something I don't if its been brought up or not, this guy has only been in the league for 3years I believe so we have the chance of having 2 very young, yet highly skilled cbs in our system for years to come hopefully. I don't think that anyone can rationally argue that we could find a cb with starting lineup talent in the 5th round. sure he might be a little overpaid but tell me someone on our team that isn't or soon will be. bottom line is for a fifth round pick that most likely wouldn't have gotten us squat, we get a very solid, young cb who could fill in on the starting lineup if need be.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:49 PM   #29
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Plus (I hate to say this, especially with our new moderator around!) but Smoot is in the last year of his rookie deal. They may be cushioning themselves for that. I hope not, given how much I like Smoot, but it's a business.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:34 AM   #30
offiss

[QUOTE=smootsmack]Here's a slightly off the wall thought I had. I know Springs when healthy is a great man to man defender. However, I also know he hasn't been entirely healthy lately. So I'm wondering, could Springs play some FS (sort of like Rod Woodson and Jason Sehorn switched to FS) and Butler and Smoot play the corners?

I'm not saying this should be a permanent move made this year, but I wonder if a couple of years down the road this could be an option. Granted, this is assuming we don't draft Sean Taylor[/QUOTE

problem with that is you are in more run support and probably more suseptable to injury, probably not the best spot for a guy like spring's, I do like the fact that he will be playing the majority of game's on grass that should help him with his injuries.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote