The Redskins Offense

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-12-2015, 05:51 PM   #16
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: The Redskins Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
No they have not deliberately gone away from the run. You can chalk it up to about 1.5 yards per carry and the frequent position of playing from....way behind.

What remains is neo conspiratorial nonsense that is soon popular in Redskinville....

Hog you are the voice of reason and I thank you. We had injuries along the oline, and we move the ball very well through the short to intermediate passing game. We need a C and help on the rite side. I honestly cannot remember many times during any of our games when I remember thinking "wtf run!" We seem to be moving the ball well through the air. Our run game is lacking, no doubt - but it is getting absolutely stuffed from the get go. Every time we snap the ball I hold my breath it isnt a god damned run because we pick up yard.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-12-2015, 08:51 PM   #17
Bangee7
Impact Rookie

whether we feel this is a lost year or not....1.5 or 2.5 ypc is discouraging.

what's even more discouraging is that the coaching staff had an extra week to figure something out.

I am impressed that this line doesn't give up many sacks (I know Kirk has a large part in that too), but the coaches should have figured something out in the run game by now.

the run game should not be at the historic low that is being witnessed, week after week.
for Pete's sake...go Heavy/Jumbo if you need to and get DY more involved....try something else....find a way!

HTTR
Bangee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #18
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

I wonder how much the qb change has to do with the lack of sacks? Didnt Griff go down a boatload of times during the preseason with our first team? I remember thinking wow he is almost stepping into the pressure.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:29 AM   #19
Bucket
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
They can't run because teams are stacking the box, our passing game is hurting our running game
Huge misconception by fans.

Someone should tell the Rams, Browns, Eagles, Cowboys, Dolphins, Jets, etc... That's they are doing it wrong then. Teams are not scared of thier passing attack either.

Defense play the run similar on running downs and personnel like every other team. The biggest issue right now is execution. Matt Jones is still learning to be an NFL RB, and continues to bounce outside. Morris isn't a great fit for the power scheme, Lerib is the worse Center in the NFL right now, Long and Sherff are struggling with communication and 2nd level contact. Reed and Carrier both are below par run blockers.

Watch the 22. I can add some Intel if need be in this thread. Most teams are playing A-Gap on us because Lerib can't execute the blocks. He's so worried about getting his blocks that most of his snaps are off target.

Out of all the snaps on Sunday from shotgun. Only 7 of them hit Kirk in the sweet spot.

Run game was more effective first 2 games because of Litch, and Lav. Don't be surprised to see the new Center we got starting against Carolina. Hard to have effective run game when the anchor of the Offensive Line is getting blown up most plays, so you try to run tosses and outside zone, but your TE blocking is just as bad.

Has nothing to do with the passing attack. Teams play 8 man boxes against run personnel against every team. It's the main reason you see us not able to get yards against nickel packages as well.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:52 AM   #20
Bangee7
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
Huge misconception by fans.

Don't be surprised to see the new Center we got starting against Carolina.

There was talk that de la Puente may play Center this week against NO. It's a lot to ask, but LeRib has been pretty bad.
Bangee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:04 AM   #21
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

One thing about de la Puente is for certain: He has already given the Skins coaching staff a whole lot of inside information on how to attack the Saints.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #22
30gut
Playmaker

I don't care what "style" of offense we run as long as its efficient and productive in the RZ.

I would have no problem with a pass heavy offense but the passing game is 20th in pass yards per game but 32nd in yards per attempt @ 6.3

Jay's offense is pass first. He's always been that way even going back to Cinci. Now McVay, by extention, is also a pass first OC.

Their coaching philosophy has always leaned towards being pass happy. The difference now is that the run game is close to league worst. For me the question becomes whether the inefficiency of the run game is a result of their pass happy nature?

My answer is yes. I think there are too many quality pieces in the offense for the run game to be this ineffective. But those pieces will never merge together as a good run game without greater commitment. For me the result of greater commitment will be better gameplans and beter execution.

A coaches focus pass/run effects everything about the offense from the gameplan time, gameplan detail, game plan variety, time allotment in practice, time allotment in meetings etc....

And the run game issues are systemic. Its not just 1 guy or group all the time.
Sometimes its the backs, sometimes its the OL, sometimes its the TEs etc. Which to me sounds like a cohesion issue. A practice time issue. An attention to detail issue.

You know what we'll never hear? Maybe sometimes the issues are gameplan/ personnel choices/ and coaching related?

Predictability on 1st down based on down, distance and personnel. e.g.
Base personnel on 1st down=run
"Run" personnel on 1st down=run
Not enough mixed personnel, mixed formations on 1st down runs i.e. run from 3/4 WRs sets or run from shotgun etc...

Predictability on 2nd downs passes after "failed" 1st downs i.e. seldom have back to back run calls.

Personnel questions--
Why count on sub-par run blocking TEs to set the edge on key runs?
Why not use I-Form/offset or Pistol formations to get DY a great blocker and decent receiver on the field?
Why not run more from 3-4 Wide considering our TEs strength isn't run blocking...

Gameplan questions--
(This has been changing recently but....) Not enough 1st down play-action and bootlegs

Not enough exploitation of the backside contain.....i.e. mix in zone-read or phantom WR reverse or other backfield action to stop the backside contain from crashing down the line

Pick a RB and give them enough carries to get a rhythm...my preference is Alfred because he has 3 years of gamefilm of plays and concepts (with an imo inferior OL) that led to multiple 1,000 yard seasons. But even if it is Matt Jones, give him the carries and let him get a rhythm.

Have a greater diversity of run plays, use the variety and sequence of run plays to take advantage of the defense overplaying certain run game concepts.
e.g. If they D is fast flowing on the outside zone then have outside zone "action" in the backfield but handoff to a designed cut-back or other type of backside run etc.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:58 PM   #23
ethat001
Impact Rookie

Given LeRibeus is struggling with snaps and is only average, and we signed DeLa Puente, an aging veteran.. Seems like our future center is not yet on our roster..

Any progress on Reiter (7th round pick)? He's on the practice squad, I know he doesn't have a chance this year -- but curious to see long-term prospects vs. drafting replacement next year. Haven't heard any updates which likely means we'll readdress next year in draft/FA or stick with DeLaPuente
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:14 AM   #24
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I wonder how much the qb change has to do with the lack of sacks? Didnt Griff go down a boatload of times during the preseason with our first team? I remember thinking wow he is almost stepping into the pressure.
Griffin was also holding the ball too long when it was supposed to come out. If he can't read coverages or feel the rush or release the ball on time he's gonna get swallowed up by defenders. He had zero awareness.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #25
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Have to feel that SM has a 300+ pound center in college that he has his eye on.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:30 PM   #26
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Yes.....Robert's absolute lack of pocket presence and the pressure associated with it made him a sack machine
A....Bad sack machine..lose like 33 yards taking us out of field goal range pushing the line of scrimmage out into the parking lot.....shit fire
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote