Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Is there room for Orakpo and Rob Jackson?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
12thMan
MVP

Is there room for Orakpo and Rob Jackson?

At the very least, Rob Jackson has played himself into a new contract offer somewhere. Hopefully here. How can Jim Haslett take these two talented players and make them co-exist on the field.

Unless I've missed something, Brian Orakpo does not have one interception as a Washington Redskin. Rob Jackson has four this season and one for a touchdown.

My question is, are we so wedded to the idea of keeping Orakpo no matter what? Has he been that valuable to the team? His sack total has declined since his first season and he's nothing to write home about in pass coverage. By keeping both players, are we limiting one or the other's potential impact on the team?
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: Is there room for Orakpo and Rob Jackson?

I think Orakpo should be the starter. Yes Jackson has made some very nice plays but Rak is the better player. Well, I should say he's a better pass rusher. But it's good to see someone that's been here a while get a chance to play and do well while he's in there.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
los panda
Pro Bowl

there is room for both.

rob jackson's stat line has benefited from the entire defense raising their game. i'm sure orakpo would have done the same, they're both able to make big plays.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Excellent question and definitely something that will be an issue after this season. Personally I think we let Jackson walk. He has played his way into starter money, which he will undoubtedly want, along with being a starter on another team. And there's just no way to keep them both on the field at the same time, unless we shift one of them (probably Jackson) to MLB, which I don't see happening. And even then he wouldn't be starting until Fletch retires/gets let go.

What I could see happening is us getting a trade offer for Orakpo, probably from a 4-3 team, and that making our decision a lot easier. If not, Orakpo stays, Jackson goes. There's just no room for both of them. The big thing here is what coaches value more, a linebacker who's good in coverage, or a linebacker who's good at rushing the passer. Usually it's the latter that wins out.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
12thMan
MVP

You can't just say the defense has raised it's game in vacuum. Rob Jackson is a big part of that reason. You can't dismiss that. And when Orakpo was starting the Redskins were abysmal in the turnover category.

Are we conflating better athlete with better football player?
Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Of course there is, if it wasn't for his backup depth the skins would be screwed. There's always room for great players.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
GridIron26
Playmaker

In my opinion, it's really imperative for us to try resign Jackson. No I don't think we would limit both's potential impact on the team if we keep both. Our defense experienced decline in pass rush once Orakpo went down. Orakpo is better at pressuring QB than Jackson is, however Jackson makes plays that Orakpo doesn't. If Orakpo or Kerrigan goes down next season, Jackson can fill in immediately and there will not be a significant decline in defense performance.

To maximize both potential impact for our defense is to play them both, along with Kerrigan. After what I have seen how creative Haslett is with defense looks, I have 100% confidence in Haslett's ability to maximize all players' potential.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

cant let Jackson just walk after his play this year. no way, unless you want to experience Antonio Pierce all over again. He creates way too many turnovers, gotta keep him and give him some snaps.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
MTK
\m/

I don't think Jackson has played himself into a starter type, big money contract. If someone wants to give him that, so be it. I think we can keep him for a decent deal.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
12thMan
MVP

Mooby, so we're kinda on the same page here. Orakpo is 26 years old, Rob Jackson is 27 years old. I'm not saying we should, but I'm curious what's the market going to demand for Jackson's services and how much cheaper would that be for Orakpo's current deal.

Also, seems to me guys like Jackson end up playing for the Giants or Philly.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Speaking from purely a football sense, there is definitely room for both of them on the roster as well as in the defense. Rak is, and should be, the starter. He's stronger, faster, rushes the passer better and is a player the offense has to account for on every play. You could see the impact on Kerrigan's effectiveness immediately after Rak went down.

If they both return next year, it could be more of a rotation with Jackson or inserting Jackson into more sub packages to have both of them on the field at the same time. Rather than coming out of a two point stance, Rak could be a DE with Jackson standing up behind him or vice versa. There's plenty of ways for both to be effective and max their talents.

Financially I'm not sure how it would work. While Jackson has carved out a nice niche, I'm not sure he played himself into starter money or even into a starting position on most teams. He's very limited in his pass rushing ability and we're probably seeing his ceiling as a player, which is really good in the proper role. He's a Vrabel type player that winning teams need. Not a stud but someone who excels in his role and won't hurt you when he's on the field.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

One thing with Orakpo is you dont extend him at this point with that type of injury. Let him play his contract out next year to prove he can stay on the field. Thats the real question in my mind when talking about the two.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
You can't just say the defense has raised it's game in vacuum. Rob Jackson is a big part of that reason. You can't dismiss that. And when Orakpo was starting the Redskins were abysmal in the turnover category.

Are we conflating better athlete with better football player?
no doubt jackson is a big part of the improvement.

also can't simply cite that when orakpo was in, turnovers were few and far between.

the play of the entire 11 on defense doesn't solely depend on 1 olb.
they're both very able to make plays, in different ways. there is room for both
Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I don't think Jackson has played himself into a starter type, big money contract. If someone wants to give him that, so be it. I think we can keep him for a decent deal.
Yeah, I'm not convinced he's going to command a huge salary on the market either. He'll probably test the waters but staying with a playoff team has to appeal to him.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #15
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Keep both of them.
Period.