Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Board Management > Playbook

new thread probation

Playbook

Old 02-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

new thread probation

Seems like the quality of new threads around here lately has been subpar at best. Too many duplicates, and too many worthless threads to put it bluntly.

In response to this please be aware that posting new threads is a privilege, one that will be taken away if you can't follow two simple guidelines.

#1, before you post you really need to review the first page of threads on whatever forum you are posting on. (Sometimes when there is breaking news duplicates happen and that's understandable and I wouldn't penalize someone for that. Also, I'm not talking about similar topics that may have taken place weeks or months ago. A duplicate is an obvious repeated thread, usually some sort of news and it's right there in plain sight on the first page of threads.)

#2 don't waste our time with whatever mindless thought is running through your head at the moment. Think before you post, try to imagine what type of discussion your thread will generate. Is it going to be meaningful discussion, or mindless banter? If it's the latter please don't bother.

Again, posting new threads is a privilege, one that will be taken away if you can't follow the two simple guidelines outlined above. This "new thread probation" as I call it has actually been in place for a while, I just thought it was time to make everyone aware of the possible consequences of repeatedly posting duplicate or worthless threads.

If your new thread privileges get taken away, it's for good. Sorry, no second chances.

Any questions let me know.

Advertisements
Old 02-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
WillH
The Starter

Re: new thread probation

DUMB THREAD!

JK, But seriously thanks Matty, it has been pretty bad lately.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
Campbell17
Impact Rookie

I guess you wont hear many threads by me for a while...
Old 02-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
v3n0m
Camp Scrub

Man! it's a free country !
v3n0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
Campbell17
Impact Rookie

Hey at least it gives Schneed something to do during the off season.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Matty,

One thing that has confused me is that someone may post a speculation thread, then 70 posts in someone posts what actually happens to the story. Do you consider it a 2ndary thread when a speculation thread is answered definitively in a new thread?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Matty,

One thing that has confused me is that someone may post a speculation thread, then 70 posts in someone posts what actually happens to the story. Do you consider it a 2ndary thread when a speculation thread is answered definitively in a new thread?
I'm not following you, can you give an example?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
Monkeydad
Living Legend

This is nothing new.

Happens every off-season ("Can we draft him? Him? Him? Him? Him? Him?"), after every loss ("Fire the coach, bench the QB!") and whenever any player gets in trouble anywhere in the league ("hey y'all, think we should get him?") Of course, the Ramsey and Lavar threads will NEVER EVER DIE either.

You're right about people needing to use their eyeballs and brains though.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
DUMB THREAD!

JK, But seriously thanks Matty, it has been pretty bad lately.
Jesus Christ.... Why are you up?

1.00$ bourbon and cokes and your up at 9:00?

Yeah, everyone knows I like to jump on people about this... It's just annoying when people put little/no effort and then post something totally irrelevant just to be on the main page. Like... congrats.

We were all Newbs... just be easy on the lazy threads.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Matty,

I think what you're saying is something like "Rumor: Williams to Jacksonville" and then somehwere in that thread someone posts link and says "It's official guys" and then meanwhile, another thread is created that says "NFL Network: Gregg Williams Signs with Jacksonville"

Is that the type of scenario you're talking about?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:50 AM   #11
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I think what you're saying is something like "Rumor: Williams to Jacksonville" and then somehwere in that thread someone posts link and says "It's official guys" and then meanwhile, another thread is created that says "NFL Network: Gregg Williams Signs with Jacksonville"

Is that the type of scenario you're talking about?
Ok I got it, in that case I wouldn't call it a duplicate. I mean it is, but that's not the problem I'm trying to address here.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

And in those cases, one of the moderators will either merge the two threads and update the title or lock the speculation thread with a note indicating that the story is outdated. And if it's a confirmed story then we direct people to the new thread with the latest information.

But if you have multiple speculation threads, or multiple confirmed threads on the same topic those are duplicates.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #13
Eknox
Impact Rookie

Mod's I have a lot of new posts, but I haven't gotten to 10 yet I work 2 jobs have a 10 yr old and 2 yr old so I jump on when I can...But I'd like to talk more about personnel maybe things like are we going to keep R. Caldwell he really produced on those sideline out plays and looks to be valuable in that aspect, what's going on with Marcus the rb on practice squad ?, he runs with purpose and looks hungry , that's what we need hungry player's ...what do ya think? We don't seem to keep players long enough for them to get into a grove I'm still reeling from A Pierce, and so is he ....
Eknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eknox View Post
Mod's I have a lot of new posts, but I haven't gotten to 10 yet I work 2 jobs have a 10 yr old and 2 yr old so I jump on when I can...But I'd like to talk more about personnel maybe things like are we going to keep R. Caldwell he really produced on those sideline out plays and looks to be valuable in that aspect, what's going on with Marcus the rb on practice squad ?, he runs with purpose and looks hungry , that's what we need hungry player's ...what do ya think? We don't seem to keep players long enough for them to get into a grove I'm still reeling from A Pierce, and so is he ....
10 posts is really not all that hard to get to and I would forego trying to hijack a thread about board etiquette in the future.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #15
birdz4gibbs
Special Teams

well what can you really say.................i think you are right it has gotten really bad here of late hasn,t it.so i intend to lay low for a while and continue to wait for when the moment is right to post..or start a new thread.