NFL conference championship weekend

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-22-2019, 04:51 PM   #211
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: NFL conference championship weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
I disagree. I think Pats fans would be losing their SHIT over it.

I still stand by this, play a five minute OT like normal football until there's a winner. I don't think games would end up like college football when you're not starting on the twenty five (thirty five?) yard line.
a 5 minute ot would basically guarantee one team (assuming its a decent team) would simply run the clock out and kick a fg at the end to win it.

I really thought they had a perfect mix this year and there were a lot of OT's to test it out. IF two teams are evenly matched clearly a tie is possible. IF they aren't strong in all 3 departments then they will lose.

If KC had held NE to a FG Majomes could have had a chance, but they didn't (even with the amazing Kendall Fuller)

Leave the OT rules alone.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-22-2019, 04:53 PM   #212
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
If you have two high powered offenses, and the coin toss decides which teams offense gets the ball first - it absolutely plays a hand in the outcome. It is stupid. College OT rules are fair. That is how it should be done imo.
Edit: this has nothing to do with the Pats. Ive wanted the college OT since college started it. Leave nothing on the table.
college OT sucks
Old 01-22-2019, 05:08 PM   #213
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
college OT sucks

Yeah God forbid the winner is decided because of football and not a coin flip. Lol. I would tweak a couple things. You have to go for two from the start, and you kick off. No starting at the 30 or whatever it is. Each team gets the same chance. First one to score more than the other in a set of possessions wins. Simple. Fair. No doubts.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #214
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Tennis : coin flip decides who serves. No.

Baseball: extra innings coin flip to see who bats first. Homerun it is over. No.

Basketball: coin flip decides who gets the ball. They hit a 3 it is over. No.

So why does the winner of a football game have to be based on a coin flip that clearly gives someone an advantage?

Edit/ and don’t say it doesn’t because if the Skins lost a coin flip and the other team got the ball first you would be mad as hell. It totally matters and it is a fucking coin flip. Dumb as fuck. Hey you guys just both lit it up and played your guts out. It is 38-38. We are gonna flip a coin to see who gets a chance to score and end it. Fuuuuuck that.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #215
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Yeah God forbid the winner is decided because of football and not a coin flip. Lol. I would tweak a couple things. You have to go for two from the start, and you kick off. No starting at the 30 or whatever it is. Each team gets the same chance. First one to score more than the other in a set of possessions wins. Simple. Fair. No doubts.
NFL OT isn't decided by the coin flip, it's decided by offense vs defense, and special teams. IF you want to win, stop the other team from going the length of the field and scoring a TD. If you can't you lose. Both teams had 60 minutes to definitively win the game.

You don't have to look farther then the game before that also went to OT. The Rams defense came up big against a powerhouse offense, and the Rams went on to win it. Coin flip simply starts OT.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:26 PM   #216
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Punch I know in today's offensive driven league it seems unfair that you have to rely on your defense to win a game in OT if you lose the coin toss, but if anything it should place a higher emphasis on fielding a good D. Not only can having a good D give you a chance in OT games where you lose the coin toss, it also helps winning championships too.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #217
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
NFL OT isn't decided by the coin flip, it's decided by offense vs defense, and special teams. IF you want to win, stop the other team from going the length of the field and scoring a TD. If you can't you lose. Both teams had 60 minutes to definitively win the game.

You don't have to look farther then the game before that also went to OT. The Rams defense came up big against a powerhouse offense, and the Rams went on to win it. Coin flip simply starts OT.

Yeah offense of one team vs defense of another. Why not let both units from both teams help decide?
The Rams Saints game wasn’t the problem. One team couldn’t score, and the other did. Over. Funny you are using that example. My problem is clearly when one team scores a td it is over. Stupid. As. Fuck.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:38 PM   #218
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Punch I know in today's offensive driven league it seems unfair that you have to rely on your defense to win a game in OT if you lose the coin toss, but if anything it should place a higher emphasis on fielding a good D. Not only can having a good D give you a chance in OT games where you lose the coin toss, it also helps winning championships too.

Of course man you always want a good D. Im just not sure why we are acting like giving both teams a chance to score a TD is going to end the world. Lol. I have not heard one actual reason yet why the current rule is better.
Oh and you know why it “seems” unfair? Because it is.
Building your defense to stop a team in OT is as ridiculous as the rule itself, but I cannot even entertain that as a good reason because the rules almost make it impossible to build a great defense. It is offensive driven by design not chance. That doesn’t suddenly change after 4 quarters.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:09 PM   #219
MTK
\m/

Quote:

I can’t stand this nonsense about the game being decided by a coin flip. The coin flip decides who gets the ball, the outcome of the game is decided on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2019, 06:15 PM   #220
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Fuck Brady and the Patriots, but you can't even be mad at this. Quite hilarious and well played.

https://twitter.com/TylerSully/statu...34157443510272
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:18 PM   #221
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:

In a way I agree, but as the game goes on, it favors the offense. A tired defense isn't going to stop a tired offense.

Time of Possession:

NE- 43:59

KC- 20:53

That coin flip means a lot in this situation.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #222
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
In a way I agree, but as the game goes on, it favors the offense. A tired defense isn't going to stop a tired offense.

Time of Possession:

NE- 43:59

KC- 20:53

That coin flip means a lot in this situation.

Great point NC. It means a-lot in every situation ever which is why since the beginning of time we all cheer when our team wins it.
Come on guys. It completely plays a role. It is nothing like the coin toss in the beginning of a game.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:35 PM   #223
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

I’ll make this simple for all of you arguing that the coin toss has nothing to do with the outcome of a game. Skins are in OT. Coin flip about to happen. Are you hoping they win? Say it doesn’t matter and you are lying. Lol. And you want to win it because it makes your path to victory easier. You either have to stop the other team and than score. Or just score. Seems like a freakin no brainer to me. I wanna win that meaningless coin flip every meaningless game.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:45 PM   #224
MTK
\m/

Of course getting the ball first is what you want, but let’s stop oversimplifying the argument by saying the coin flip decides the game. The coin flip winner wins about 52% of the time so it’s not game over to lose the flip.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:50 PM   #225
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Of course getting the ball first is what you want, but let’s stop oversimplifying the argument by saying the coin flip decides the game. The coin flip winner wins about 52% of the time so it’s not game over to lose the flip.

Not saying it is the end all be all. But why not make a stupid coin toss absolutely meaningless and just give both teams a chance to score a TD?