Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #46
44Deezel
The Starter

Re: Draft wrap-up 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
I'd give this draft an A-

We addressed pretty much all the important positions of need in S and CB. Sure we didn't get an OT, but there's 4 guys we're going to have competing at RT. Sure we didn't get a WR, but to the same token, we did just get a TE thats basically a WR.

This draft we just had is literally the Boom or Bust draft. David Amerson has shown his Boom and his Bust potential. Jordan Reed can catch great, but can't block. Will he get the coaching he needs to become a more complete TE or fizzle out. Phillip Thomas was an all american, but only excels in certain schemes. Will he fit our scheme or suck like many Redskin insiders and experts believe he will? Brandon Jenkins was a first round talent but got hurt and missed the rest of the year. Are we getting the first rounders or a 5th rounder? Chris Thompson showed flashes of Darren Sproles, but didn't play this year with a Torn ACL. Are we getting a different player or the same player? Bacarri Rambo was a great college player, but had troubles in parts of his game and off the field. Are we getting the headcase or the defensive stud? Jawan Jamison looks like another Shanahan back, but he is small and going against Royster and Helu. Will he beat them out (also Chris Thompson) and make this team or will he just be a wasted pick of another RB that wasn't needed.
With all the Offensive Linemen going in the first few rounds and the rookie pay scale being what it is, I think there will be a number of veteran "cap casualties" the Redskins can choose from before the season starts. Not overly concerned about the O line, and very intrigued by the boom potential of this draft class. Several guys with first round talent that fell for a number of character and injury-related reasons. Talent is still there.

Advertisements
Old 04-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #47
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
^ So are P. Thomas and B. Rambo FS or SS? NFL.com has them listed as SS but the above article says they are FS. I guess it does not matter as we need both, but why the confusion?
They both can play either, but if I had to choose I would put Thomas closer to the line but they both will play single high at some point.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #48
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I'm excited about our new defense! Can't wait
Old 04-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #49
simbosargos75
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Not to pick on you, but I'm not getting this fascination with drafting linemen this year. We're already 2 deep at every position on the line. Not pro-bowlers deep but sure as hell better off than 5th or 6th round rookie deep. What value would a 5th or 6th round OL bring over a Gettis, Compton, LeRibeus, Hurt? We drafted 6 OL over the past 3 years and signed 3 more who are starting for us. What more do we need to do on the OL?
Draft some upside would be my answer.

I would've gone with Barrett Jones in round 3. Potentially a very valuable player with a higher ceiling than any current backup.

--On Wisconsin
simbosargos75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #50
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

I would give the skins a B-/C+ based on the draft board below, 3 3rd round worthy, 2 4th round worthy and 2 5 th round worthy. See link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...DlXYnlycTZ0RGc

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #51
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

I gave the draft an A when including RG III as a pick, because for all intents and purposes he is for this year and the next.

Loved what we were able to add to the team and Oki I agree I can't wait to see this new defense unveiled. After the bye in week 5, I could see these guys rely coming together. Added some nice pieces on both sides of the ball.

I also love how the FO decided to go all or nothing with these guys and added big physical players to the secondary.

The FSU players added in the 5th could be huge if they stay healthy. Both players add excellent depth to strong groups.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:20 AM   #52
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Grading the Redskins lower than a C would have been penalizing them for not having a first round pick. This isn't a super great haul that will make us a much better team, but it seems kinda pointless to harp on the real reason this draft is mediocre...that we didn't pick in the first round.

The Redskins grabbed a whole bunch of 3rd-4th round types because that's what this draft was made up us. Most teams that didn't pick in the top 20 are in the same boat.

If they had a do-over, I would point out that six really good football players got drafted right after Amerson, so I'd like to have gotten one of those guys instead. But from round three on the Redskins looked to be pretty much in their element, and got decent talent return.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:34 AM   #53
RGIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I would give the skins a B-/C+ based on the draft board below, 3 3rd round worthy, 2 4th round worthy and 2 5 th round worthy. See link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...DlXYnlycTZ0RGc
What am I looking at here? The official Skins draft board? If so, there seems to be some ranking mixups. I'll try to decipher it in the morning.
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #54
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Grading the Redskins lower than a C would have been penalizing them for not having a first round pick. This isn't a super great haul that will make us a much better team, but it seems kinda pointless to harp on the real reason this draft is mediocre...that we didn't pick in the first round.

The Redskins grabbed a whole bunch of 3rd-4th round types because that's what this draft was made up us. Most teams that didn't pick in the top 20 are in the same boat.

If they had a do-over, I would point out that six really good football players got drafted right after Amerson, so I'd like to have gotten one of those guys instead. But from round three on the Redskins looked to be pretty much in their element, and got decent talent return.
Amerson is a typical shanny pick. He picks based on ceiling...only watches their best plays. From that perspective one can see how amerson was the pick. Right or wrong it is what he does
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #55
Sonny9TD

Too many RB not enough OL. I could handle one late round steal at RB but 2 is making me think Shanahan is trying too hard to live up to his reputation as a RB hawk. A need of quality depth at OL should have ben addressed instead of injured RBs being drafted which are a dime a dozen. Shanahan you don't have to prove you can find talent at RB late.

If you have a good OL I bet a lot of coaches can find gems at RB late in the draft. Other than that the draft was very good. I like the TE pick and the pass rusher from Florida St as well as the safeties and CB. Stop the RB fetish though Mike. We get it.
Sonny9TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #56
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny9TD View Post
Too many RB not enough OL. I could handle one late round steal at RB but 2 is making me think Shanahan is trying too hard to live up to his reputation as a RB hawk. A need of quality depth at OL should have ben addressed instead of injured RBs being drafted which are a dime a dozen. Shanahan you don't have to prove you can find talent at RB late.

If you have a good OL I bet a lot of coaches can find gems at RB late in the draft. Other than that the draft was very good. I like the TE pick and the pass rusher from Florida St as well as the safeties and CB. Stop the RB fetish though Mike. We get it.
Just wondering, who was this 7th round OL that would start for us Now. Contrary to this board's belief. Our offensive line is actually pretty good.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #57
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny9TD View Post

What they're trying to do is to find is the next Darren Sproles.

Chris Thompson was not a good pick in Round 5, IMO. He's injured and he might not have been drafted at all. Personally, I don't like him as a player, anyway.

Jawan Jamison was a good 7th Round pick, IMO.

You and I might have been happier if the Skins had picked Xavier Nixon instead of Thompson in Round 5. Well, they got Nixon anyway, as a UDFA, so it all came out in the wash.

Also, I sincerely doubt that Mike Shanahan is trying to prove anything to anybody when he drafts.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #58
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

I like/love this draft got talent & depth IMO gave my grade B. HTTR.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #59
ethat001
Impact Rookie

I like taking risky picks in late rounds with the history of injuries / etc. If they pan out, they were a steal & contribute to the team. Other options in the late rounds are usually back-up / special team players anyway. I wonder if it is smart to put more players with history of drug abuse into our locker room however..

Inside LB would have been a better pickup than OLB given age / injury in our inside LBs, but guess we have just enough depth to wait until next year..
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #60
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Every single Redskins draft pick this year is a playmaker. That is what this entire Redskins draft was about - playmakers.

The Skins want to create more turnovers on defense and more big plays on offense. The big-play defense creates more turnovers which gives the big-play offense more chances to score.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote