Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

(All about that) D thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-19-2017, 10:45 PM   #1
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

(All about that) D thread

I thought it'd be interesting to have a thread to discuss the defense and their issues, or if you're a big fan of Manusky this would be a good place to mount your defense of his defense.

At the beginning I was skeptical of Manusky as coordinator because he's got an unimpressive track record at a host of other places. I also wanted Wade Phillips, but there's neither here nor there.

11 games into the year our defense has shown marked improvement over Joe Barry's d, which I appreciate but really doesn't say much because the Redskins have been terrible on d for a couple years now. They brought in guys like Swearinger and Zack Brown who have been big improvements over previous years, and Montae Nicholson had his moments before his on-again/off-again injury issues. Guys like Jonathan Allen, Matt Ioannidis came on board and despite being young showed they can compete and make plays.

Now here we are, in week 11, and our d just totally collapsed and cost us the game with what seemed like an insurmountable lead.

I started this thread with the intent of making the discussion about points given up in the last 2 minutes of the half. So I'll start with that.

Week 1 vs Philly, first half. Gave up a 10 play, 43yd drive that took up 1:17 and ended in a 50 yard field goal with no time on the clock. Philly takes a 16-14 lead.
Second half: Their d returned a Cousins fumble for a td with under 2 min left, but that's on the O. They do score the 2 point conversation to make the game 30-17 and out of reach.

Week 2 vs. Rams: Nada.
Week 3 vs. Raiders: Nada.

Week 4 vs. Chiefs: First half. Technically this counts but the drive started with 5 min on the clock. Chiefs go 73 yards in 7 plays/3:07, finish with a 17yd td pass to Kelce. Redskins still lead 10-7.
Second half: Cousins leads game tying drive, ties game 20-20 with 47 seconds to go. Chiefs drive 50 yards in 6 plays/43 seconds, kick game winning 43yd field goal with 4 seconds left. The kickoff return/lateral drill ends in a 13 yard fumble return for a td with no time left on the clock. Still counts against us but ultimately irrelevant to final score. Last drive totally on the d though.

Week 6 vs. 49ers: First half. After Redskins kick a field goal to go up 17-0 with 1:51 left on the clock, 49ers go on a 11 play, 75 yard drive that finishes with a 1 yard td as time expires. Redskins lead 17-7 at the half.
Second half: After Redskins miss extra point on a KC 7 yard td run with 3:28 left, leading 26-17, the 49ers go 75 yards in 6 plays/1:30, finishing with a 45 yard td pass to Aldrick Robinson by CJ Beathard. Redskins lead 26-24 with 1:58 left on the clock.

Week 7 vs. Eagles: First half. Not relevant to 2 min discussion but Eagles go 80 yards in 3 minutes, finish with 64 yard td pass to Mack Hollins from Wentz with 3:19 left on the clock. After offense fails to finish out half, Eagles get ball back with 1:52 left, and go 80 yards in 6 plays/1:30, finish with 4yd td pass to Ertz from Wentz, take 17-10 lead with 22 seconds left. No 2nd half drive given up but that's because d was shredded that day, giving up 4 td drives in 2nd through 4th quarters that put game out of reach.

Week 8 vs. Cowboys: Second half: Byron Jones has a 21yd pick six with 21 seconds left and the Redskins trying to drive for a game tying td. Goes from 26-19 Cowboys to 33-19 Cowboys. Offense' fault obviously on that one.

Week 9 vs. Seahawks: Second half: Seahawks go 71 yards in 5 plays/48 seconds, finish with a 30yd td pass from Wilson to Baldwin, take 14-10 lead with 1:34 left on the clock. Redskins do the un-Redskins thing and go on clutch 4 play, 70 yard drive to finish with a td to win the game.

Week 10 vs. Vikings: First half: Vikings go 71 yards in 6 plays/2:48, finish with a 7 yard td pass from Keenum to Thielen, and 1:49 left on the clock. Redskins turn the ball over on ensuing drive, Vikings go on 3 play/23 yd drive, finish with a 1 yd td pass and 22 seconds left. Vikings go from 14-17 to 28-17 in 2 min span. Start 3rd q with a 2:38 drive finish with a td, puts game at 35-17 and Redskins play catch up entire second half.

Week 11 vs. Saints: We should remember this drill clearly. First half: Saints go 69 yards in 10 plays, finish with 29 yard field goal, Redskins have 17-13 lead at half.
Second half: After Redskins score a td to go up 31-16 with 5:58 left, Saints go on 75 yard/8 play drive in 3:05, finish with td. Redskins can't get game winning first down on ensuing drive, give ball back to Saints with 2 min left. Saints go 87 yards in 4 plays/48 seconds, finish with inspired 2 point conversion to tie game 31-31. After easy stop in OT helped by a dropped pass from Vernon Davis, Saints go 51 yards in 3 plays and kick super-easy game winning 28 yard field goal. It's the most egregious end of half/OT defense seen by the Redskins in years, and most likely puts them out of playoff contention in stacked NFC (not that we were going to compete anyways at 5-5, when the 6th seed has 7-3 record.

So discuss. I'll start. Fire Manusky. Even when we were healthy, some teams still made it look easy to score on us. It's improvement but not "contending" improvement. It's also hard to contend when teams show an easy ability to score on us at the end of the half.

Now this thread might become quiet if we put on our big boy pants and beat the bad teams on our easier second half schedule. But I don't like what I see from Manusky at the end of the half. Being good doesn't matter if you can't close out teams at the end of the half or the game.

Also Jay Gruden's choice of d-coordinators lacks confidence from me. He's on the hot seat now because of it, amongst other things.

Advertisements
Old 11-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #2
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: The D thread

I'd let go of the whole coaching staff save maybe Callahan. And bring in new head coach so he can hire his staff. I was just looking up possible HC candidates...

Matt Burke - Dolphins DC
Mike Vrabel - Texans DC
Steve Wilks - Panthers DC
Kris Richard - Seahawks DC

My 4 top choices in no specific order.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #3
jamf
Pro Bowl

It’s hard to hate Manusky after what we had last year.

The biggest issue I have is with the personnel.
Compton
Galette
Hall
These guys needed to be replaced in the offseason.
I’m going speculate and say these are Grudens guys.
They don’t deserve the playing time they got.

Ryan is a 2nd round pick but he’s not contributing.

We have too many character guys on D who can’t run.
We need more team speed!
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:21 PM   #4
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
It’s hard to hate Manusky after what we had last year.

The biggest issue I have is with the personnel.
Compton
Galette
Hall
These guys needed to be replaced in the offseason.
I’m going speculate and say these are Grudens guys.
They don’t deserve the playing time they got.

Ryan is a 2nd round pick but he’s not contributing.

We have too many character guys on D who can’t run.
We need more team speed!
This draft should be a RB, a possible OL, and then 5 picks on defense. Not in any particular order.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:02 AM   #5
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
This draft should be a RB, a possible OL, and then 5 picks on defense. Not in any particular order.
i wish it was 7 guys on defense and 3 to 4 free agents on defense. sometimes i wish we hired mike zimmer. i can't stand having a shitty defense.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:04 AM   #6
SouperMeister
Playmaker

To be fair, this D line is undermanned with Allen out and Ioannidis playing with a club. We need to draft or sign a real NT. It is ridiculous that we've run a 3-4 base since 2009, and haven't had a Haloti Ngata-type nose tackle.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #7
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
To be fair, this D line is undermanned with Allen out and Ioannidis playing with a club. We need to draft or sign a real NT. It is ridiculous that we've run a 3-4 base since 2009, and haven't had a Haloti Ngata-type nose tackle.
They play plenty of 4-3 defense. ....this should be their base defense, neither Kerrigan or Smith are good OLBs.... both are inconsistent

The personnel and draft decisions have been terrible.
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #8
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
I disagree. They signed two free agents on the d-line, plus resigned Hood. Those guys are vets, they just aren't any good so that's on the front office.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #9
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I'd let go of the whole coaching staff save maybe Callahan. And bring in new head coach so he can hire his staff. I was just looking up possible HC candidates...

Matt Burke - Dolphins DC
Mike Vrabel - Texans DC
Steve Wilks - Panthers DC
Kris Richard - Seahawks DC

My 4 top choices in no specific order.
IMO this team is very close to being very good. They have been decimated by injuries but still play good teams very tough. One of the biggest problems this organization has is lack of consistency. They are constantly starting over in search of the next great coach. I think the dumbest thing this organization could do is start over again. Let the staff stay, let the team get healthy and keep building. Its what good organizations do.

If I had to fire anyone its the training staff. The just don't seem capable of keeping this team healthy and its been that way for a few years now.

Last edited by irish; 11-20-2017 at 10:12 AM.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #10
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I disagree. They signed two free agents on the d-line, plus resigned Hood. Those guys are vets, they just aren't any good so that's on the front office.
No. A NT/DT should be top priority in the offseason...I wanted to see how it shook out this year and its fucking clear as day that this is a top need.

The two free agent bust....who I said were fucking terrible signings at the time...have been bad. They've been beat out Matt Ioannidis and Allen, which is a silver lining. Neither McClain or McGee have been able to hold at point of attack at NT like many were thinking...ALSO Ziggy HOOD is there which is a terrible play.

We need an inside presence at the NT/DT spot...I don't give a flying fuck if its only 2 down players. GUESS WHAT! When we were at full strength along the DLine, we were rotating guys in and out where outside of Allen, no one was playing all 3 downs. So don't give me that horse shit.

DT/NT is a priority and would make a big difference with this Defense.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:03 AM   #11
MTK
\m/

The D thread

Even Joe Barry got 2 seasons. Hard to fairly evaluate Manusky with all the injuries and a brutal schedule. Let’s at least wait until the end of the year to put a grade on him. A few weeks ago he was the toast of the town after Seattle.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:26 AM   #12
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Manusky is a very good aggressive DC, injuries have hampered the D this year, yet it is competitive. Yes, they fucked up a few times like missed tackles on the critical 2 point conversion and not having enough players-on that side to stop the play.

I would like to see Hood, Hall replaced in the offseason, keep Murphy and put him in the DL, draft another S, ILB, NT and pass rusher to replace Galette. A Murphy, Ionnadis, Allen, Lanier line sure would be nice. Need to keep Brown no matter what and draft a replacement for Foster unless we can keep him (will be tough). Breeland is gone next year.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #13
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Even Joe Barry got 2 seasons. Hard to fairly evaluate Manusky with all the injuries and a brutal schedule. Let’s at least wait until the end of the year to put a grade on him. A few weeks ago he was the toast of the town after Seattle.
I agree 100%. It only took 2 weeks for Manusky to go from the penthouse to the outhouse. Its impossible to fairly evaluate anyone on this injury filled season.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #14
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
No. A NT/DT should be top priority in the offseason...I wanted to see how it shook out this year and its fucking clear as day that this is a top need.

The two free agent bust....who I said were fucking terrible signings at the time...have been bad. They've been beat out Matt Ioannidis and Allen, which is a silver lining. Neither McClain or McGee have been able to hold at point of attack at NT like many were thinking...ALSO Ziggy HOOD is there which is a terrible play.

We need an inside presence at the NT/DT spot...I don't give a flying fuck if its only 2 down players. GUESS WHAT! When we were at full strength along the DLine, we were rotating guys in and out where outside of Allen, no one was playing all 3 downs. So don't give me that horse shit.

DT/NT is a priority and would make a big difference with this Defense.
I'm done w/ trying to find a NT, and I'm done w/ the 3-4. It's a total cluster fuck. Here's another reason why I hate it. Kerrigan had to cover Fleener out in space in a crucial part of the game. Now any dumb ass would and should know that he can't do that, but you ask him to do it? I'm sorry but that's piss poor, shit ass coaching right there. I can't even blame Kerrigan for that play cause they're asking him to do something he can't do. So just get rid of it, I've had enough. You should never ask your best pass rusher to cover a TE out in space, EVER!
Old 11-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #15
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I think Manusky has been decent as a coordinator, but he needs to find out why the last 2-3 minutes in the halves have been terrible. Needs to fix it.

But Ill continue to say this...not hiring Wade Phillips was a huge mistake and Its an embarrassing when Jim Schwartz refuses to take a meeting with your team because the Front office of Dan and Bruce is an absolute fucking joke. So remember, Dan and Bruce operation cost us an opportunity there.

People keep talking about Wentz, but Schwartz as the d-coordinator is the real reason why Philly is excelling this year. But it takes a lil bit of football acumen to understand that fact.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote