Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Mental Health Awareness Thread

Parking Lot

Old 01-26-2022, 11:53 AM   #16
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: Mental Health Awareness Thread

Damn SD. That is sooooooo true man. I had to learn that in order to help my daughter. I wasn’t always father of the year material. Trust me.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-26-2022, 11:59 AM   #17
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Damn SD. That is sooooooo true man. I had to learn that in order to help my daughter. I wasn’t always father of the year material. Trust me.
Definitely a good quote. It's really hard to positively help someone else if you're not in a good place yourself.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:03 PM   #18
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Definitely a good quote. It's really hard to positively help someone else if you're not in a good place yourself.

It is actually impossible.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:29 PM   #19
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
My wife struggles with depression. I struggle with being a good husband at times when she is at her lows. As someone who generally looks at life as this fantastic opportunity it is difficult for me to always comprehend what she goes through. I would do what I thought she needed but it wasn't always what was needed. I have done a lot of research on how to be more present and supportive. It is an area I will have to constantly improve myself.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:32 PM   #20
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
My wife struggles with depression. I struggle with being a good husband at times when she is at her lows. As someone who generally looks at life as this fantastic opportunity it is difficult for me to always comprehend what she goes through. I would do what I thought she needed but it wasn't always what was needed. I have done a lot of research on how to be more present and supportive. It is an area I will have to constantly improve myself.
Been there, it's tough man. I often wish I handled things a lot better than I did.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:53 PM   #21
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:

Have you guys ever tried therapy together?
Old 01-26-2022, 01:34 PM   #22
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

We haven't but have considered it. Right now things are really working she hasn't had a bout that we haven't been able to work through since fall of 2019, but it is on the table.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:33 PM   #23
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
We haven't but have considered it. Right now things are really working she hasn't had a bout that we haven't been able to work through since fall of 2019, but it is on the table.

That is awesome- especially considering what has occurred since 2019! Glad to hear that. Hey some people are able to process, cope, adjust and carry on. You seem like a pretty great dude so not surprising.
I just mentioned it because while me and my daughter were with the psychiatrist- i asked about what me and my wife could do - she was like group therapy can work.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:17 AM   #24
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Been there, it's tough man. I often wish I handled things a lot better than I did.
As men you want fix things. MH is anything that fixes overnight it is a slow burn to get better and certainly it doesn't improve on linear line, lots of valleys and hills.

My daughter (10) point out to me the other day; she said dad when ever you see us or greet us its always with "what's wrong?" I thought about it and i was like shit i do. its weird push to always fix. odd.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:24 AM   #25
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
As men you want fix things. MH is anything that fixes overnight it is a slow burn to get better and certainly it doesn't improve on linear line, lots of valleys and hills.

My daughter (10) point out to me the other day; she said dad when ever you see us or greet us its always with "what's wrong?" I thought about it and i was like shit i do. its weird push to always fix. odd.

Wow. Crazy you say this. I do the same thing. My daughter didn’t necessarily call me out but she would constantly be like “nothing jeez!” I didn’t realize that my concern for my family was coming across so strong that i was probably freaking her out for no reason.
Years i have been like that. It wasn’t until very recently i tried to not let my concern come across like panic. Unwarranted panic because her or my wife didn’t even appear as if something was terribly wrong.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:09 PM   #26
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Just an update. About a week in and the low dose meds seem to be working well. I haven’t breathed this easy for about a year. Fingers crossed that they get her thru this and she is able to breathe easy herself.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:08 PM   #27
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Just an update. About a week in and the low dose meds seem to be working well. I haven’t breathed this easy for about a year. Fingers crossed that they get her thru this and she is able to breathe easy herself.

Awesome to hear. Stone Cold says have a beer.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:11 PM   #28
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Punch I'm late to this thread but I'm glad to hear that things are improving. No advice I can offer here that others haven't already offered but I wish you and your family well in dealing with this. Every day is a new opportunity for things to improve - I have plenty of my own issues that I'm not comfortable being open about and that's the one thing I try to remember.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:57 AM   #29
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Punch I'm late to this thread but I'm glad to hear that things are improving. No advice I can offer here that others haven't already offered but I wish you and your family well in dealing with this. Every day is a new opportunity for things to improve - I have plenty of my own issues that I'm not comfortable being open about and that's the one thing I try to remember.

Thanks Mooby. I think we all do man. You are 100 percent correct. We always need to move forward. Never back.
Also thanks to Stone Cold.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:20 AM   #30
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

So this weekend we discovered that our 14 year old has been cutting her arm. We have been open with her that we will go through her phone and discovered that something was going on. She then wrote a speech and there was a subtle mention of it in the speech. We talked to her last night and learned of the myriad of pain she is in. She carved the word ugly into her arm as well as just typical cuts you associate with cutting. I don't know how much she provided and how much she was still hiding in terms of emotions and physical pain.

There is so much guilt here. Both my wife and I work in education. We are trained to see signs and completely missed them with our own daughter. Working on getting her counseling but in the mean time we are going to get her to meet with school social worker.

Seeing you kid in pain is soul crushing.