Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Week 4: Redskins vs. Buccaneers Gameday Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #1111
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: Week 4: Redskins vs. Buccaneers Gameday Thread

I'm more worried about Hunter the Punter than our WRs.

Advertisements
Old 10-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #1112
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Well, I suggested that things would get worse before they get better on offense. But our defense only gave up one TD and two FGs, and the TD was short field.

Things will come together on offense in time,
but the defense needs to carry the day and we'll probably have to win ugly for awhile. It's not going to be a 35-7 win next week. 20-17 might be the best we can hope for.

If I'm right, this will be a good team in December. Possibly a very good team. But being an unfinished product is not an excuse for complete unit breakdowns. The offense needs to be sharper than it was today, even if it can't put it altogether just yet.
When is that time gonna be though? Zorn has had 9 preseason and 20 regular season games for it to come together. That's a LONG time in the NFL. It's not a very patient league. He's had the same team, system, coaches, and QB the entire time. He needs this thing to start clicking like yesterday.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #1113
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
we're not inside redskin park so we don't know if hixon is doing a good job or not. all i know is these guys can't get open. thomas may be fast but it seems like he only has straight line speed and isn't fast coming out of breaks or doesn't run his routes very well. kelly is just flat out slow so if i were zorn i would never run him on anything deep.
That NFL Films game analysis by Cosell earlier in the week said that our route combinations are poor. Maybe that has something to do with it. GTripp could probably shed some light on that.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #1114
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
After watching this same group of guys for several years, do you honestly think we're going to be a good offense by the end of the year? I don't mean yardage wise, I mean an offense that can consistently put up 20+ points. I've seen nothing from this group that tells me they're capable of doing that.
It's on a whole bunch of factors, but mostly it's based around the fact that I think Zorn has good protection schemes and that if he's still around at the end of the year, this protection unit can give Campbell all day to find receivers downfield.

But it's dependent on the small things being executed in the intermittent. Jason Campbell needs to do a better job protecting the football, and the games need to be won, even if we're just doing it on a 2-5 point margin every week.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #1115
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
That NFL Films game analysis by Cosell earlier in the week said that our route combinations are poor. Maybe that has something to do with it. GTripp could probably shed some light on that.
Cosell read my mind with that one. And I thought he was spot on. Of course, he's dealing with a much greater sample size than me, because I only get to see the route combinations every once in a while on replay, but the Zorn playbook clearly does not put much stock in complicated downfield routes.

But as Greg Cosell said, the Skins break out 2-3 plays a game where they really try to put specific downfield players in a bind. But the vast majority of play design is all about trying to attack the weaker coverage players on the offense. Very rarely does Zorn ever try to work the safety area.

And I don't think that's inherently good or inherently bad. It is what it is. Like the majority of the defensive schemes, what the Redskins do with their receivers is very vanilla. And it's probably partially responsible for the receivers not getting open downfield. But not as much as the fact that no one outside of Moss really presents a downfield speed threat.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #1116
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Complicated downfield route combinations are not for every offense. It will hurt some offenses much more than it will help. Just like complicated defensive coverages will. The Redskins just don't put a whole lot of strategic stock into what happens between the 15 and 30 yard range from the LOS. That's why you see a lot of clear routes in the Zorn offense: the focus of the strategery is in the short-to-intermediate zones.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #1117
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
A quick review of the game tells me Devin Thomas is getting open more often than we're giving him credit for. Would like to see more passes go his way, but that means Campbell has to check off a lot of other receivers it seems and there's just no time for him to do that
Devin has been open in the last two weeks. A lot. I think he's benefitted from a simplification of his responsibilities.

I think we'll see him more involved in the passing game in the next few weeks. He'll likely have a 4 catch game.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #1118
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Devin has been open in the last two weeks. A lot. I think he's benefitted from a simplification of his responsibilities.

I think we'll see him more involved in the passing game in the next few weeks. He'll likely have a 4 catch game.
Music to my ears.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #1119
pg86
No new threads for you

Off topic are u guys watchin MNF tonight I wish our line protected Campbell like the Vikes protect Farve..he has the time of someone baking a cake or waiting for a bus back there.
pg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:42 PM   #1120
44Deezel
The Starter

He was in shotgun with Chester Taylor lined up on his right side. As he was barking out his cadence, the Packers Defenders started to move. He saw something and then directed Taylor to his left side, snapped the ball and threw him a screen pass that went for 20. Favre is still sick. He's throwing darts out there. And the TD pass to some guy named Sidney was sick and had absolutely nothing to do with pass protection or separation. It was a friggin laser thrown into a tight spot within a second or two while falling to his right.

And the dude is going to be 40 next week.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:55 PM   #1121
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
He was in shotgun with Chester Taylor lined up on his right side. As he was barking out his cadence, the Packers Defenders started to move. He saw something and then directed Taylor to his left side, snapped the ball and threw him a screen pass that went for 20. Favre is still sick. He's throwing darts out there. And the TD pass to some guy named Sidney was sick and had absolutely nothing to do with pass protection or separation. It was a friggin laser thrown into a tight spot within a second or two while falling to his right.

And the dude is going to be 40 next week.
I agree with you besides the fact you said it had nothing to do with protection. Favre has not been sacked so far tonight.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #1122
pg86
No new threads for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
I agree with you besides the fact you said it had nothing to do with protection. Favre has not been sacked so far tonight.
Sacked!? Hell Id applaud if the packers could get pressure on the guy did you see the time!?!?
pg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #1123
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg86 View Post
Sacked!? Hell Id applaud if the packers could get pressure on the guy did you see the time!?!?
Yeah I think someone pointed out on one play they clocked it and he had like 7.5 seconds to throw the ball. I would be happy with half that..lol. But for someone to say protection was not a factor is idiotic. You can scarmble and make plays. You can get rid of it quick at times. but at times you can't if the protection breaks donw to fast. JC needs better ball security. But he got sack twice very early int eh game. But I guess some people think that is good protection and a evironment for a QB to thrive. When JC has time and good protection he wil find the open receivers. But it takes time. Is that to hard to realize? Doesn't matter how open someone is on this play or that play. If the Qb doesn't have time to go through his progressions what do you think? He dunmps it off or goes to his primary receivers. But woudln't you throw it to Moss or Cooley if they are dependable and other guys aren't? When you have to rush you throw I would take my chances with them rather than two inconsistent 2nd year plaeyrs that haven't show up so far.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company

Last edited by dmvskinzfan08; 10-06-2009 at 06:54 PM.
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #1124
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:

I won't have time to do this, but if you do try to count how many seconds Campbell is getting on his snaps. I think I was roughly getting about 5 seconds
Old 10-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #1125
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg86 View Post
Phil Loadholt.