Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Top 3 Players the Redskins Cannot Afford to Lose If We Want To Make A Playoff Run

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Top 3 Players the Redskins Cannot Afford to Lose If We Want To Make A Playoff Run

They are doing this on ESPN980 right now and I thought it was really interesting. Which players would devestate the team if they had a season ending injury. Chris Samuels, Albert Haynesworth, and London Fletcher are popular on the radio, but I don't agree with Haynesworth and Fletcher. I feel Blades would be adequate to replace Fletcher and we have enough depth on our DL, with Haynesworth gone, Orakpos presense could help provide a decent pass rush for us. Besides, last year we had a top defense without any pass-rush.

For those reasons, my list consists of 3 Offensive Players:

1. Chris Samuels - If he goes down, Heyer would have to slide to the Left where he got abused last eyar and we've got NO one to play RT. Which leads me to #2.
2. Stephon Heyer - Its a testement to our complete lack of quality OT depth that Heyer is one of the 3 most important players on our team, but he absolutely is. If Williams or Bridges is forced to play RT, our running game will disappear, Jason Campbell will be pressured, and we'll have a repeat of the last 8 games of 2008.
3. Clinton Portis - Yes, I understand we have Ladell Betts, but Clinton is the bread and butter of this team. A Portis/Betts RB tandem behind a healthy offensive line, and a (hopefully) much improved WR situation creates a offense that defenses have to respect. If we're forced to rely on a Betts/Cartwright combo, our running game (and hence our entire offense) will completely fall apart.

So that's my list, Whats yours?
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-26-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
firstdown
Living Legend

Re: Top 3 Players the Redskins Cannot Afford to Lose If We Want To Make A Playoff Run

Funny out of the names getting thrown around JC is not mentioned.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

Re: Top 3 Players the Redskins Cannot Afford to Lose If We Want To Make A Playoff Run

Yes, yes, thats just what we need. Lets use this thread to bash JC too.
gibbsisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
They are doing this on ESPN980 right now and I thought it was really interesting. Which players would devestate the team if they had a season ending injury. Chris Samuels, Albert Haynesworth, and London Fletcher are popular on the radio, but I don't agree with Haynesworth and Fletcher. I feel Blades would be adequate to replace Fletcher and we have enough depth on our DL, with Haynesworth gone, Orakpos presense could help provide a decent pass rush for us. Besides, last year we had a top defense without any pass-rush.

For those reasons, my list consists of 3 Offensive Players:

1. Chris Samuels - If he goes down, Heyer would have to slide to the Left where he got abused last eyar and we've got NO one to play RT. Which leads me to #2.
2. Stephon Heyer - Its a testement to our complete lack of quality OT depth that Heyer is one of the 3 most important players on our team, but he absolutely is. If Williams or Bridges is forced to play RT, our running game will disappear, Jason Campbell will be pressured, and we'll have a repeat of the last 8 games of 2008.
3. Clinton Portis - Yes, I understand we have Ladell Betts, but Clinton is the bread and butter of this team. A Portis/Betts RB tandem behind a healthy offensive line, and a (hopefully) much improved WR situation creates a offense that defenses have to respect. If we're forced to rely on a Betts/Cartwright combo, our running game (and hence our entire offense) will completely fall apart.

So that's my list, Whats yours?
I like your list. I might switch one of the o-lineman to either Hall or Rogers.
gibbsisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
saden1
MVP

1. Portis (no faith in Betts).
2. LaRon (no faith anyone to cover the whole field like he can).
3. Samuels (if we lose him we lose a TE/WR just so we can help whoever is playing that spot).

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
The Goat
Pro Bowl

1) Samuels
2) Portis
3) Tie between Phat Al and London

I'm starting to think Landry is replaceable otherwise he'd be in the 3rd spot. He's not dominating out there as of yet...still a step or two behind making the big play and misjudging some of his angles and approach into the backfield.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
stu_nna
Special Teams

haha u beat me to it
stu_nna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I'd hate to have to give Ryan Plackmeier another call so Hunter Smith better stay healthy as well
Old 08-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #9
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Funny out of the names getting thrown around JC is not mentioned.
JC is definitely the best QB we have on the roster, but I don't think he's even one of the top 10 players on the team. That, combined with the fact that Todd Collins is a more than capeable backup, and it won't matter who's under center if our line suffers injuries is keeping him off most people's lists.

For comparisons sake, I would also say that if fans did this for all 32 teams in the league, only about 10 of those teams fans would consistently include their teams' starting QB on this list.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Samuels, Haynesworth, Fletcher

Honorable Mention - Landry
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Samuels. After that, I think there is sufficient depth to cover any player for a 2 game sitdown. We would have to plan differently but we still would be an effective team if any other play has to sit. AH if he goes out for the season, then the same could be said, but I think missing one or 2 games we can still survive.

I know the topic said 3, but I really believe, every position has a substitutable backup, some drop off yes, but record changing, I only think that is Samuels.

Ok, maybe Hunter the Punter, Like Smoot said, I don't wanna see the Plack attack again. thanks
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #12
Zerohero
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsisgod View Post
Yes, yes, thats just what we need. Lets use this thread to bash JC too.
Who said he getting bashed?

Portis, Haynesworth, Moss
Zerohero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #13
GridIron26
Playmaker

Samuels, like everyone said.. (Although I have to admit, I'm sort of mulling for Rabach as well.. I know.... I don't even like him either, but the fact is he makes the calls for the O-line men when it comes to blitz pick ups and such.. I'm not sure if Montgomery has sufficient amount of knowledge when it comes to blitz pick ups and such.. But I guess I will go ahead with Samuels because it's obvious choice, I guess)

Laron Landry, yes he didn't break out and become a special player but he's the reason why we didn't give up many long yardages last season.. His versatility is the key..

I'm going go ahead and say JC, yes he didn't do much lately.. But I believe this season will be different case..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #14
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
JC is definitely the best QB we have on the roster, but I don't think he's even one of the top 10 players on the team. That, combined with the fact that Todd Collins is a more than capeable backup, and it won't matter who's under center if our line suffers injuries is keeping him off most people's lists.

For comparisons sake, I would also say that if fans did this for all 32 teams in the league, only about 10 of those teams fans would consistently include their teams' starting QB on this list.
I say more like 20 would name there QB when asking about 3 players not so maybe if you asking about one player then it might be more around 5 or so.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #15
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerohero View Post
Who said he getting bashed?

Portis, Haynesworth, Moss
we were picking 5 players, Moss would have been on my list. However, i've got a really good feeling about Kelly (and Mitchell to a much smaller extent). It would not surprise me at all if Kelly had a breakout year and was in pro-bowl consideration. I personally plan to pick him up (undrafted, of course) in my fantasy league.