Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Redskins pay or trade Trent Williams?
Pay him 34 46.58%
Trade him 39 53.42%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #1096
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
**News comes out that TW is unhappy with team medical staff**
Redskins fans: The team should FIRE EVERYONE to make Trent happy!!!!!!!!!

**News comes out that team asked Trent if they should fire someone in the medical staff**
Redskins fans: WTF?!?! What the HELL were they thinking?!?!?
Yeah this.

'Tell me who to fire and I'll fire them' is a line you deliver to someone you value extremely highly. It's an olive branch line. It's saying Trent you're so important to this organization I will do whatever it takes to make this right for you.

Looked at differently, it's also at the very same time saying this: if your beef is with the medical staff, I got you, I'll take care of it. Just tell me who did you wrong. Oh, you don't really want anybody to get fired? I guess it really was about money then, wasn't it. We'll talk about money next year, when you're approaching the last year of your contract, per team policy. See you in September, unless you want to lose game checks.

It has been handled right. There's a chance Trent's entire motivation here is to just get out of Washington period, a la Cousins. D Hall talks about Trent being interested in all pros and Super Bowl rings, and you have to be on a winning team to get those. It's a sign that Trent wants out, but he knows he has two years under contract and he can't do too much about it. So he'll bet on himself, a la Cousins.

But I still say this has been handled brilliantly. Trent will play in 2019 and 2020 to earn that $21M. Then Bruce (if he's still here) will tag him in 2021 and keep him under control in 2021 for a bargain of avg of top 5. Then Trent will be 34. This won't be losing Cousins at age 28. Bruce is playing this to get all of Trent's most useful prime years.

Credit where it's due, well done Bruce. At least as soon as he reports, that is.

Advertisements
Old 09-04-2019, 03:26 PM   #1097
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Meh...I don't know about brilliantly. If we had something substantial on the table to move Trent, then you would have to consider it. Why? The team by most estimation is a 10 loss team with or without. And Trent is in the last 2 years of a deal...injured a quarter of our games, with a big cap number. We pass on a first and possible more for two more years of Trent? Then the move would be to extend him at some point, right?

Was Trent ever gonna miss game checks...most likely not.

All in all, there was a lot to consider...and while I love Trent and hope to see him out there again, possibly the right move would be to get a high draft pick and more vs just 2 more years of TW.

I don't know if there is really a right answer at this point...always I lean towards the Skins putting the best product on the field...and right now that is with TW in a Skins uniform

He Gets Us
Old 09-04-2019, 03:37 PM   #1098
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

He'll be starting for Dallas week
Old 09-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #1099
calia
Playmaker

Bruce has not handled this brilliantly. Brilliant would have been avoiding it entirely. When Brian Mitchell is in against the Eagles throwing passes because Keenum and Haskins have been wrecked by the Eagles D line 9is Colt even suiting up?), we'll discuss how brilliant any of this was.

I am usually an optimist, but I really, really have a bad feeling about this weekend.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #1100
Schneed10
A Dude

Well come on, it's the Eagles, we'd have a bad feeling about this weekend with or without Trent. The Eagles are one of the favorites to make it to the SB from the NFC. We are... not.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:50 PM   #1101
calia
Playmaker

I would feel 100X better with Trent playing. Their QB is good, but not elite, nor are their receivers or RBs. Their D line is legit as is their O line, which of course makes the skill position players scarier. Their secondary is fair.

I think they will eat our line alive, and it will be hard to get things going, and however well our D plays, being on the field for 40 minutes will make it impossible to compete.

I do think the difference in having elite LT talent is very significant, which is why those guys get paid so much. And it probably means the difference between competing (even if we were to lose), and getting smoked.

My mother in law is an Eagles fan. I really, really wish Trent were playing. I am not sure how more emphatically I could say this, but imagine me grabbing your lapels and shouting to emphasize the point.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:07 PM   #1102
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
**News comes out that TW is unhappy with team medical staff**

Redskins fans: The team should FIRE EVERYONE to make Trent happy!!!!!!!!!

**News comes out that team asked Trent if they should fire someone in the medical staff**

Redskins fans: WTF?!?! What the HELL were they thinking?!?!?

More like ...
News comes out that TW is unhappy with the organization.
Redskins fans : what the fuck did Bruce Allen do now?

News comes out that Bruce Allen asked Trent who he could fire to make him happy?
Redskins fans : you can start with yourself.

Seems about right to me....
Old 09-04-2019, 05:27 PM   #1103
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
How, exactly does this make Allen a snake?
It's so wrong on so many levels. You have a President of a billion dollar company willing to fire someone in order to make a player, who's under contract come back and play. From the outside the only person to blame is TW cause he's too dumb to go to a doctor.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:12 AM   #1104
Warthog
The Starter

I agree with you. This whole situation is tough - your team’s best player appears to want to be traded to perhaps the Pats, with the potential of a SB ring, or perhaps the Texans, where he scores a monster contract.

With the normal chaos surrounding this franchise it is a normal reaction to blame Bruce Allen, because he has been the center of player controversy’s before. The only thing that BA could have done different was at least to have fielded the trade calls from the Pats and Texans and see what they were offering. If there really was a 1st round draft pick or even better TWO 1st round draft picks, at least the team could have considered that. Having 1st round draft picks (including a high one for us) means that you can rebuild the OL with elite draft talent in 1-2 seasons, which is exactly what you want for your potential franchise QB.

I just wish the Redskins would acknowledge that this is a REBUILDING SEASON with a rookie QB. Planning for the future. It appears the Redskins were doing everything to keep TW and make him happy, including not even discussing trade options. We’ll see if this strategy gets Trent back. I’d much rather have Penn as a backup than Christian as a backup. If Penn goes down before TW comes back we are really in trouble.

If TW comes back he will be greeted with open arms by the team, especially by Keenum and Haskins. We need him on the OL badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Old 09-05-2019, 04:45 PM   #1105
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Well it seems Trent Williams is in town and AP talked with him in person last night. Maybe that,s a good sign and top that with what Hall said yesterday maybe we do have hope.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...illiams-person
Old 09-05-2019, 05:49 PM   #1106
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2RFK View Post
Well it seems Trent Williams is in town and AP talked with him in person last night. Maybe that,s a good sign and top that with what Hall said yesterday maybe we do have hope.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...illiams-person
I've been burned too many times, gonna have to wait until I see Trent on the practice field talking about "it's all love now, the past is the past" before I become convinced he's back.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:43 PM   #1107
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I've been burned too many times, gonna have to wait until I see Trent on the practice field talking about "it's all love now, the past is the past" before I become convinced he's back.
No shit. The fact he is gonna not be here week 1 is bullshit. Just come in and do your fucking job. You signed a contract, honor it.

He Gets Us
Old 09-06-2019, 05:58 AM   #1108
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
No shit. The fact he is gonna not be here week 1 is bullshit. Just come in and do your fucking job. You signed a contract, honor it.
Do you say that because hes getting $M's or because you believe any employee should just turn up and honour his contract regardless? Whether he's in the right or not, he felt that his employer had miss treated him and withdrew his labour. Ultimately that's about the only right an employee has if a grievance procedure fails him or doesn't actually exist. Millionaire or not.

He's lost out financially and the team have suffered too, so there's no winner, but hopefully a new CBA includes a better way of dealing with these situations than holdouts etc. Has to be in everyone's interest, because its certainly not in the paying fans interest.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:41 AM   #1109
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Do you say that because hes getting $M's or because you believe any employee should just turn up and honour his contract regardless? Whether he's in the right or not, he felt that his employer had miss treated him and withdrew his labour. Ultimately that's about the only right an employee has if a grievance procedure fails him or doesn't actually exist. Millionaire or not.

He's lost out financially and the team have suffered too, so there's no winner, but hopefully a new CBA includes a better way of dealing with these situations than holdouts etc. Has to be in everyone's interest, because its certainly not in the paying fans interest.
I haven't heard anything at all of substance that he was treated incorrectly by the Skins. There is a grievance process with the NFLPA, but they have not stepped in. So yes, whether you make $10/hour, or $1000000/hour. IF there is not a substantial basis for a grievance, you should be expected to honor a signed contract. That is a bedrock principle of our economy. The unions are supposed to exist to make sure that the general contracts are rational and look out for employee interests. The fact that the NFLPA screwed up in the last negotiations shouldn't break the contracts Players have signed. If you want guaranteed contracts then fight for them as a union when the CBA comes up for negotiations. If you want a way to reset contract value within the term of the contract then fight for that in the upcoming battle.

But TW does have a contract, with 2 years left, and barring substantial wrong doings by the team he should honor that.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #1110
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
But TW does have a contract, with 2 years left, and barring substantial wrong doings by the team he should honor that.
I invite you to join the rest of us in the 21st Century. That kind of steadfast ethics no longer exists.
Closed Thread