Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Grading the 2006 Draft

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #31
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Re: Grading the 2006 Draft

LOL at some people on this board sometimes. This is like an Extremeskins thread. Some folks will find any and every way to complain about something! Grading the draft, by the players we have and their contributions, I'd probably give it a B. We got 4 players who've started a significant number of games (Rocky, Monty, Golston, Doughty) and while none have been pro bowlers, all have contributed and are part of a regular rotation.

By the other standards people have used (picks traded or who we got for picks or anything else) I guess it would have to be a Z-.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #32
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
LOL at some people on this board sometimes. This is like an Extremeskins thread. Some folks will find any and every way to complain about something! Grading the draft, by the players we have and their contributions, I'd probably give it a B. We got 4 players who've started a significant number of games (Rocky, Monty, Golston, Doughty) and while none have been pro bowlers, all have contributed and are part of a regular rotation.

By the other standards people have used (picks traded or who we got for picks or anything else) I guess it would have to be a Z-.
I got a Z- once, I had to go back and repeat the last 3 grades
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #33
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Ok, but using your logic that draft position doesn't count, only production I don't understand how you arrive at a D+. Out of 6 players, we added 4 who have seen considerable playing time. That is a solid hit to miss ratio. And we added 2 DL players, 1 LB that all contributed in a way that gave us a top 5 D last year. And Doughty would probably have seen significant ST playing time, barring his injury.

So my questions are:

What type of production would it take to get an average grade from you?

Do you say 6 pro-bowlers out of 6 picks is an A+?

Or that an average draft should have 3 pro-bowlers out of 6 picks?
Good Questions!
It was a tough choice between a C and D+. If doughty was a better special teams player I would've rated the draft a C.

Average grade: First round pick is a solid player that is one of the better players at his position, Not a probowler but a solid player. second pick is a solid player that could start for most teams. 3rd round pick is a solid player that fits into your scheme. Maybe not a starter on all teams but has a role on your team.
The second day picks are hit or miss. You would like to add depth and special teams players with 2nd day picks.
To me that gets an average grade.

If any of the players make the probowl, I would bump the grade to a 'B'. If a second day player makes the probowl, I would make it an instant 'A'. You got quality with your first day picks but added a great pick with the second day choices.

3 Probowlers no matter how many ppicks is a great draft. A+
6 Probowl players is not realistic.

The 2004 Taylor Cooley draft was a 'A+'.
I would even rank the Landry draft as a C+ just because we got one probowl quality player and not much else.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:07 PM   #34
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post

# Year Rd Overall Player Pos
1 2006 2 35 Rocky McIntosh LB
2 2006 5 153 Anthony Montgomery NT
3 2006 6 173 Reed Doughty DB
4 2006 6 196 Kedric Golston DT
5 2006 7 230 Kili Lefotu G
6 2006 7 250 Kevin Simon LB

I think I would give it a B+, or A-, given that we had only 1 first day pick, it looks like we got 3 solid players, McIntosh, Montgomery, and Golston, and 1 mid grade in Reed Doughty. I remember Lefotu, but nothing about Simon. What does every one else think?
B+ or A-? ...that is a stretch.

What would you give this draft class that produced 5 starters?

2005 Patriots

1 32 Logan Mankins G Fresno State
3 84 Ellis Hobbs CB Iowa State
3 100 Nick Kaczur T Toledo
4 133 James Sanders SAF Fresno State
5 170 Ryan Claridge LB Nevada-Las Vegas
7 230 Matt Cassel QB USC
7 255 Andy Stokes TE William Penn
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #35
MTK
\m/

C+. We picked up some solid role players in Monty and Golston. If Rocky can get back on track this year the grade could raise to a B.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #36
celts32
Playmaker

I think it's a C so far. We got some nice mid to low round value but I think a lot of this draft still rests on McIntosh becoming an impact player. If McIntosh becomes a good starter long term then this draft could become a B or even B+. It's just hard to give a final grade to a draft when we are not totaly sure about the top pick in the group.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #37
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Philly's draft wasn't bad that year, we'll see if W. Justice starts this year & Bunkley has become ok. But the thing that stands out about that draft to me is O.Gaither, they got him in the 5th & he's turned out to be a solid MLB.

I look at the draft like a batting avg. w/runs scored or FG pct. w/scoring in hoops. Your chances of scoring increase the more at bats or shots you take. Obvious I know, yet we've continually given up picks & reduced our chances. Vinny's got a rate of success, just needs more shots.
dallas had a terrible year, but new york had a good draft too... they got a DE and a DT that started a combined 31 games last year, and moss, whimper, and wilkinson are still on the team providing cheap depth and ST value... though a 3rd rounder playing teams only and a 2nd rounder catching 15 passes a year is a bit of a bust, it's still a good draft (I'd trade all of our picks for all of theirs that year - we'd finally get a DE).
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #38
KLHJ2
Inactive

I am really trying to understand the animosity towards Rocky. He has only missed 2 games in 3 seasons.

His Rookie year was bad when he wasn't starting because he had not matured yet. Outside of that he has been solid, maybe not Pro Bowler-esque, but solid.

Rocky McIntosh: Career Stats
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #39
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
I am really trying to understand the animosity towards Rocky. He has only missed 2 games in 3 seasons.

His Rookie year was bad when he wasn't starting because he had not matured yet. Outside of that he has been solid, maybe not Pro Bowler-esque, but solid.

Rocky McIntosh: Career Stats
He does wear down easily, and then he has a major tendency to overrun plays, and just generally tackle himself.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen worse (such as his predecessor), but barring something unexpected, he's on the pathway to bustville.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #40
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
He does wear down easily, and then he has a major tendency to overrun plays, and just generally tackle himself.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen worse (such as his predecessor), but barring something unexpected, he's on the pathway to bustville.
Maybe I need to watch some more tape, because I have not noticed anything that dramatic. I have noticed the entire defense as a whole get worn down because the offense cannot stay on the field. Maybe I have missed something.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #41
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Philly's draft wasn't bad that year, we'll see if W. Justice starts this year & Bunkley has become ok. But the thing that stands out about that draft to me is O.Gaither, they got him in the 5th & he's turned out to be a solid MLB.

I look at the draft like a batting avg. w/runs scored or FG pct. w/scoring in hoops. Your chances of scoring increase the more at bats or shots you take. Obvious I know, yet we've continually given up picks & reduced our chances. Vinny's got a rate of success, just needs more shots.
Winston Justice was drafted in the 2nd round, wasn't he? If he was drafted by the Redskins, we'd all be calling him a bust by week 7 of his rookie year
Old 03-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #42
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post

That is very true. He starts out the season playing well, then he seems to disappear as the season progresses or he get injured.
Either way Rocky has never really wowed me. He really needs to get stronger.

Last edited by Defensewins; 03-16-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote