State of the Redskins - NFL Network Videos

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #31
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: State of the Redskins - NFL Network Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Yeah, I'm sure the Pats will be saying that when Springs is out half the season.
Actually, I think they'll be more worried about evaluating all the rookies they drafted with all those draft picks they still have.

Advertisements
Old 03-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #32
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Actually, I think they'll be more worried about evaluating all the rookies they drafted with all those draft picks they still have.
Great, you worry about the Pats and well I could care less about them.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #33
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Great, you worry about the Pats and well I could care less about them.
I don't like them any more that you do. I'm just capable of tipping my cap and saying "nicely played" when they totally throw us off our original FA plan, with what looks like a bluff (and if it was real interest in Hall, doesn't really change anything).

Of course, plan A was Haynesworth, so mission accomplished from that perspective.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #34
The Goat
Pro Bowl

I will shocked and awed if Springs has more INTs in '09 than D. Hall. I think Springs mailed it in the 2nd half of last season i.e. he got beat by his WR more than I ever remember seeing and he just did dumb shit like jumping in front of Hall's easy INT and then bobbling it. But more than that Springs looks like he's quickly regressing... i bet the Pats get burned in this move.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #35
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I will shocked and awed if Springs has more INTs in '09 than D. Hall. I think Springs mailed it in the 2nd half of last season i.e. he got beat by his WR more than I ever remember seeing and he just did dumb shit like jumping in front of Hall's easy INT and then bobbling it. But more than that Springs looks like he's quickly regressing... i bet the Pats get burned in this move.
I care less about the interceptions than I do about the change in the amount of TDs we're giving up through the air.

The point is that we could have had an improved secondary without bearing any risk beyond 2009. That would have been such a great deal for us, improve secondary depth, and if our No. 2 corner isn't good enough, simple solution: Don't bring him back in 2010. Springs wouldn't have been brought back anyway, but we really could have used one more year of his services.

Instead, we now bear 20-30 million dollars in risk. And for what, really? The opportunity to have the position locked down for the next five years, assuming we can throw another huge contract at CR a year from now? It's silly, silly risk. Sure, we're looking for this move to pan out. Of course we want DHall/Rogers to be a CB tandem for many, many years into the future. And if it works out, we certainly can pay that contract.

Vinny feels really confident, apparently, that Hall won't fail here. Financially, way more confident than either the Falcons or the Raiders were when he failed there.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #36
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by duetsch215 View Post
Those guys are complete idiots. They think they know the NFL but they can't even diagnose the Redskins offensive problems correctly. That's why no one should ever listen to them. All of us know the Redskins better than they do because we watch all of their games and they just look at results.
Lombardi said we have trouble scoring points. Sounds pretty accurate to me.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #37
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
I care less about the interceptions than I do about the change in the amount of TDs we're giving up through the air.

The point is that we could have had an improved secondary without bearing any risk beyond 2009. That would have been such a great deal for us, improve secondary depth, and if our No. 2 corner isn't good enough, simple solution: Don't bring him back in 2010. Springs wouldn't have been brought back anyway, but we really could have used one more year of his services.

Instead, we now bear 20-30 million dollars in risk. And for what, really? The opportunity to have the position locked down for the next five years, assuming we can throw another huge contract at CR a year from now? It's silly, silly risk. Sure, we're looking for this move to pan out. Of course we want DHall/Rogers to be a CB tandem for many, many years into the future. And if it works out, we certainly can pay that contract.

Vinny feels really confident, apparently, that Hall won't fail here. Financially, way more confident than either the Falcons or the Raiders were when he failed there.
Why? He can't stay on the field and can't be counted on. It was time to move on. However I'm not sure over paying Hall was the way to go. We'll see.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:07 PM   #38
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Why? He can't stay on the field and can't be counted on. It was time to move on. However I'm not sure over paying Hall was the way to go. We'll see.
Because now Smoot plays a much more significant role in the defense, unless (hopefully) Tryon or Westbrook can beat him out for the nickel spot.

Springs is also a guy that we all feel comfortable with in the starting lineup. Right now, Carlos pulls a hammy, and you guessed it, two weeks of Smoot roasting over an open fire.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #39
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:

It's VERY clear that you aren't a D. Hall fan, not even willing to give him much credit at all. To be a little more balanced and factually accurate, he's been in the league 5 years, has 22 career interceptions and is a 2 time Pro Bowler. He's better, by far, than any other CB on the roster and his play making ability is unquestioned.

He clashed with Petrino (just like everyone else in the locker room) and talked his way out of Atlanta, but he was still playing at a high level. Everyone acknowledged he was in a bad system fit in Oakland and he played very well once he got here.

Maybe I am as naive as you are jaded but I don't believe he did an intentional and complete Jekell and Hyde routine just to get paid and now he's going to revert to Raider Hall.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #40
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
It's VERY clear that you aren't a D. Hall fan, not even willing to give him much credit at all. To be a little more balanced and factually accurate, he's been in the league 5 years, has 22 career interceptions and is a 2 time Pro Bowler. He's better, by far, than any other CB on the roster and his play making ability is unquestioned.

He clashed with Petrino (just like everyone else in the locker room) and talked his way out of Atlanta, but he was still playing at a high level. Everyone acknowledged he was in a bad system fit in Oakland and he played very well once he got here.

Maybe I am as naive as you are jaded but I don't believe he did an intentional and complete Jekell and Hyde routine just to get paid and now he's going to revert to Raider Hall.
Here, I found a guy that's even better than Hall and Rogers combined by your criteria of pro-bowls plus interception totals! He's even a free agent right now! I'm thinking 5 years, maybe 40-50 million! What says you:

Deltha O'Neal Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

The notion that Hall's skill is even comparable to Rogers is so unbelievably misinformed that I can't possibly understand why you'd even bring it up. What do you want me to say, "Yes Paintrain, we just found the best corner on our team in Week 10 last season sitting around with the unrestricted free agents. Every team that's ever given up on him has made a terrible, inexcusable mistake. He's just way better than anyone on our team right now, including Carlos Rogers, who is playing better than all but like 6 corners in the NFL right now. Sure, he signed here for less than a million dollars to play out the season, but I'm just so happy we're going to pay him like one of the league's best players now."

Root for him, but don't keep telling us he's better than Rogers. He's not. Plus, I'm pretty sure he already has an agent...
Old 03-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #41
4mrusmc
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Lombardi said we have trouble scoring points. Sounds pretty accurate to me.
Correct. And the O-line couldn't pass block worth a crap either.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #42
Eknox
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Because now Smoot plays a much more significant role in the defense, unless (hopefully) Tryon or Westbrook can beat him out for the nickel spot.

Springs is also a guy that we all feel comfortable with in the starting lineup. Right now, Carlos pulls a hammy, and you guessed it, two weeks of Smoot roasting over an open fire.
Eknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #43
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Yeah I get it, i think we all get it... Hall was probably overpaid. If he plays up to his potential I COULD CARE LESS HOW MUCH HE IS OVERPAID. Only time will tell...
Old 03-21-2009, 08:22 PM   #44
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Yeah I get it, i think we all get it... Hall was probably overpaid. If he plays up to his potential I COULD CARE LESS HOW MUCH HE IS OVERPAID. Only time will tell...
I like Hall but I also think that he was overpaid. Hall could ensure that he is worth the money by teaching Carlos Rogers how to catch the football.

Carlos is a brilliant cover guy but I just hope he has someone throwing him a ball about a zillion times this offseason. If Carlos would learn to catch he'd be a Pro Bowler.

As for Springs, he's an outstanding CB but he's only good for 8 games. That's because he'll miss half the season when he is injured by a feather falling in his vicinity, or something like that. Say what you want about Smoot, but he'll play hurt.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #45
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:

I'm comfortable with Smoot playing the #3 corner. There are worse #3's. I think he's serviceable. The bottom line is we need to have a better pass rush. If that happens then our corners will be just fine.