Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Poll: Which of your pre-camp concerns has been most resolved?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Which of Your Pre-Camp Concerns Has Been Most Resolved
Starting Right Tackle 42 20.19%
Offensive Line Depth 20 9.62%
Jason Campbell's Development 35 16.83%
2nd Year WRs' Development 111 53.37%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Poll: Which of your pre-camp concerns has been most resolved?

Coming into training camp most of us had 4 areas of main concern. Who was going to emerge at starting RT? How was our OL depth going to be? How will Jason Campbell develop? Will our 2nd year pass catchers (Kelly, Thomas, Davis) be healthy and productive? (Mods, please poll with these options)

I think we're all pretty universal in saying that Heyer has the RT job sewn up but is everyone comfortable with him for 16 games?

It's been tough to gauge the OL depth because M. Williams has been injured most of camp causing Bridges to play out of position and not really giving us a true look at players in their true positions.

We've seen bad Jason (1-7, 4 completions in 2 games) and good Jason (overall vs. NE) so far in the preseason. How's your comfort level with him?

I for one have been impressed with what I've seen out of Thomas & Kelly and with the addition of Mitchell I am good with our WR corps going into the season. For the first time in YEARS I am actually excited about our group.

Thoughts?

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
backrow
The Starter

Re: Poll: Which of your pre-camp concerns has been most resolved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Coming into training camp most of us had 4 areas of main concern. 1. Who was going to emerge at starting RT? 2. How was our OL depth going to be? 3. How will Jason Campbell develop? 4. Will our 2nd year pass catchers (Kelly, Thomas, Davis) be healthy and productive? (Mods, please poll with these options)

I think we're all pretty universal in saying that Heyer has the RT job sewn up but is everyone comfortable with him for 16 games?

It's been tough to gauge the OL depth because M. Williams has been injured most of camp causing Bridges to play out of position and not really giving us a true look at players in their true positions.

We've seen bad Jason (1-7, 4 completions in 2 games) and good Jason (overall vs. NE) so far in the preseason. How's your comfort level with him?

I for one have been impressed with what I've seen out of Thomas & Kelly and with the addition of Mitchell I am good with our WR corps going into the season. For the first time in YEARS I am actually excited about our group.

Thoughts?

I added the numbers for the questions to enable an easier answer.

1. Obviously Heyer

2. Suspect. Same as last year

3. If you add the long ball, then, possibly better, especially with the added WRs. I'm as comfortable as possible without a decent 2nd stringer behind him. I don't like TC, and CB and CD haven't taken the same control as say a
Garcia, or a Leftwich. To CB and CD's credit, they are younger, much younger, and stronger than TC!

4. Time will tell, but it seems Kelly has the 2nd or 3rd spot wrapped, Thomas the 4th spot, and Marko (not mentioned in your question part of your post) has the 5th spot. Marko may pass Thomas on the WR depth chart.

Edit: Sorry to post before you had the poll added! But I felt I needed to speak to all concerns.

I have as much concern for the Defense (not mentioned), however; because they have not shown they can stop the opposition and the fact that all of the attention was given to improvement during the off-season.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

I'm a JC supporter so i never worried about his development. I was worried about the WR's, it's still early but it looks good it's the one thing you always heard DT say if one of them gets a catch they want to go out and get a better one.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I have to go with 2nd WR development, because I can't say that I had concerns anywhere else. Well, the interior line, perhaps, but that's going to rear it's ugly head now and again, and hopefully it won't be too much of a problem in the long run. But the second receivers have really been playing great: Marko Mitchell and Malcolm Kelly especially, but even Thomas had about as complete a three catch game as he's had thus far.

My concerns have moved on to the pass coverage units (obviously), but how about NO major injuries through a month of the preseason? What are the chances of that?

This has been one of the most injured teams in the NFL over the past 3 seasons, so if we head into New Jersey in two weeks with a clean injury report, it would be hard to not think the Redskins would be the favorite to win that game.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
GusFrerotte

Toss up because of the one game doesn't necessary cure all thing in the back of my mind. JC and the O line depth were the biggest concerns for me, but last night did a lot to lay any real worries to rest as long as the guys stay healthy. Have to agree that our secondary is going to be the "weak link" of the team, but e ven they seem to have improved over the last couple weeks.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

The 2nd team oline got tossed around in the second half last night. OLine Depth is our biggest concern right now. Reinhart, Montgomery, and Bridges seem to be decent but I think we need would like a solid back up tackle behind Samuels or Heyer. Bridges has some experience at RT, i think but not sure. Mike Williams right now is a cut in my book, he has been injured and in training camp his technique sucked from all accounts I read. We better keep both keep both those late pick LBs because if we cut one of them and Mike Williams then the FO f*cked up again. Heyer has looked good this training camp and preseason so Im really happy about that.
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor
Special Teams

I was just say Heyer because he is holding his own in pass protection and not half bad in run blocking. Of course I'm still not sold on Jason Campbell in this offense because it does not fit him. The second receiver still have to step up and I'm not talking about just practicing good but move it on the field. Offensive line depth s a big question mark as well since Colt could have been lost for the season from that hit of which was all Rhinehart's fault.
Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Nice poll. I think the WR development is looking pretty good right now. I actually thought Heyer did a great job in both pass blocking AND in the run game.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
JLee9718
Impact Rookie

I hope the offensive line problems and its depth got resolved with the free agent signings. But at WR, Marko Mitchell might end up as the #2 guy.
JLee9718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Well i was worried most with Jason Campbell entering camp. Not with Jason's overall play but, if he would make it through the preseason alive with our poor group of aging o-lineman. That seems to still be the biggest issue with this team.

Is it me or does the WR's this year seem like totally different players. Kelly, Thomas, and Davis are all showing strong preseasons. Marko is showing he's for real and has the skills to be the number 2 receiver on this team.

>>One of my biggest concerns entering camp is still showing it's ugly face-Secondary Depth. Behind Hall, Rogers, and Smoot there is really no one i feel comfortable with. An injury to any of these guys and our season could be over.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
jsarno
Franchise Player

None of the above...Orakpo being anything of a force, and he is thus far. Hope it keeps up through the season...love to see him get defensive ROY this year!
Old 08-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

I could not vote for the second year WR's because to me they are still too much of a concern. I think Kelly is really coming on and will contribute significantly this year. He looks good and I am high on him. But he still needs to work on his fade route, which could be his signature route. DT to me is still a wild card. He's been making better plays but still mixes in plenty of bonehead plays.

JC, on the other hand, looks much more comfortable than last year. He is making better and faster decisions and is getting the ball out faster. As much as he could in the "meaningless" preseason, he has put my concerns to rest.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:54 PM   #13
MTK
\m/

I went with the WRs. I think we've seen enough flashes where I'm pretty comfortable that they'll be able to contribute this season, and by year's end I think at least one of them will be playing a key role. Kelly and Thomas both showed some things last night.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #14
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I went with the WRs. I think we've seen enough flashes where I'm pretty comfortable that they'll be able to contribute this season, and by year's end I think at least one of them will be playing a key role. Kelly and Thomas both showed some things last night.
I agree. The O-line really concerns me. 3 of the 5 are getting up there in age, the RT is unproven, a few are coming off surgeries, and they are injury prone.

Zorn even admitted he pulled back the reins on the offense last year because he was scared for Jason's life (not a direct quote, but you get it) as a result of the banged up line. If these guys can't stay healthy, we're in deep ish.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:20 AM   #15
53Fan
Franchise Player

I thought, and still do think Heyer will do a good job.
O-line depth is still a concern but may be getting better with Rinehart, Montgomery, Bridges and a couple of others.
I expected JC to be better in this offense than last year and still do.
My thoughts on the second year receivers involved a lot of hope considering Kelly's knees and DT's slow grasp of the pro game. I have a lot more confidence in these guys now. Including Fred Davis. They have shown a marked improvement over last year. It's the second year receivers for me.