Dustin Hopkins Sucks Post Game Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-21-2020, 05:00 AM   #16
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: Dustin Hopkins Sucks Post Game Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Might need to use one of our 7th rounders on a kicker. Drafting one is the best way to guarantee you get a high upside K.
Err, Roberto Aguayo anyone?
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #17
GridIron26
Playmaker

The game went a little better than I thought, I believed we would have lost by 2-3 TDs but the defense did the best they could. They shut down Metcalf (bad for me cuz of FFL) and Lockette, but didn't do a great job of defending against the running game. The offense singlehanded lost this game for us - Haskins's 2 ints hurt us.

If we play Seattle again in playoffs, this time with Smith, I think we would have a good chance of winning the game.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:14 AM   #18
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
I want to roll with Haskins the rest of the way. I want to see more 4th qtr DH before we dump him.

If AS is the plan next year...fuck me...
This

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:33 AM   #19
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

I still want Alex playing. It is nice that Dwayne finally played one good quarter of football but that is not enough to make me believe he is not a bust.
Also it is nice being a second half team that can make adjustments but what the hell is the problem with our first halves? Are we game planning all wrong? Do we not spend enough time in the film room? It is like the first half is our film. It is not sustainable to always be down two scores nearing half.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:46 AM   #20
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

We can blame Hopkins for not being able to make it to OT but let us not forget that if Dwayne doesn’t force two balls into triple coverage down in fg range we win without OT.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:19 AM   #21
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Dwayne needs to have some common sense. Watching some replays those ints were just bad. Turner needs to speed up the game for him and use the running game more. I didn't get to see the game but I was hoping the D would have a multi sack game with RW back there since he takes so many sacks. I am assuming game plan?
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #22
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Hopkins sucks but he didn’t lose this game. QB play did in the 1st half. You can’t spot Russ and the Hawks a 20-3 lead. The difference in the game was they had the better QB/RB play when it mattered most
Old 12-21-2020, 09:24 AM   #23
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

I'll still take a healthy AS over Haskins to finish the year off... but honestly that 4th quarter by Dwayne got me thinking his time here may not be over yet. The kid has an arm, has potential and is improving his mobility. He also made some nice throws under pressure.

As expected we missed Holcomb and KPL against the run, and I was quite disappointed with our DL early on. They showed up late and it would've been enough minus the missed extra point... and Moses' injury. The 3rd and 15 game finishing sack doesn't happen if he's healthy.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:28 AM   #24
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
We can blame Hopkins for not being able to make it to OT but let us not forget that if Dwayne doesn’t force two balls into triple coverage down in fg range we win without OT.
The 1st INT: They were in FG range, but if Wright doesn't tip that pass, I think Sims either catches it at the 5 yard line, or it's incomplete. That was just unfortunate. Not a bad throw on the run in my opinion.

The 2nd INT: They were not in FG range, unless you think Hopkins is good for a 61 yard FG (nope). He read the CB wrong. He thought Reed was going to stay with McLaurin, but he broke it off and came up to make the INT. I think if he could take it back, he pumps to Sims and hits McLaurin in the end zone for an easy TD; or he just hits Barber in the flat for 5-6 yards.

Neither of those INTs were into triple coverage...

Live and learn. I'm glad he is trying to push the ball down the field. The offense looked better today with Haskins at QB. Out of 10 possessions, six drives were at least 8 plays, five of those going for more than 40 yards. Against the 49ers they had 13 possessions - only TWO drives with at least 8 plays, and only ONE drive of more than 40 yards.

The INTs hurt, but even with those, if Hopkins makes that extra point it's a different game.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #25
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
I'll still take a healthy AS over Haskins to finish the year off... but honestly that 4th quarter by Dwayne got me thinking his time here may not be over yet. The kid has an arm, has potential and is improving his mobility. He also made some nice throws under pressure.

As expected we missed Holcomb and KPL against the run, and I was quite disappointed with our DL early on. They showed up late and it would've been enough minus the missed extra point... and Moses' injury. The 3rd and 15 game finishing sack doesn't happen if he's healthy.
I agree.

The problem with Haskins is everything besides his arm. He can make any throw he wants, but his mechanics need to be better, his decision making absolutely has to be better, he needs to mimic how Alex Smith approaches the game when it's not being played.

Russell Wilson had an interview after the game and I think it would do Haskins well to pay attention. Paraphrasing here, but Wilson said winning is the culmination of all the work you put in off the field, it's how you prepare.

Yes, luck plays a part too, and it probably didn't help that we were missing Holcomb in the run game, and we know Haskins didn't get gashed in run d or not even sack a guy who's been sacked 42 times this year.

But it's looking more like Ron is going to approach next offseason without giving up on Haskins, especially if our options to upgrade are limited, so Haskins really just needs to keep his head down and keep working. He does that and there's no telling what he can do.

It was also encouraging how Dwayne responded in the second half, and he said after the game it was because he played angry. My thing is, if that's what it takes to be an effective qb, you need to play angry from the start. Whatever motivates you, the perceived lack of respect from your competitors, even your coaches. But your mentality has to be consistent from start to finish. Don't wait until we go down by 3 scores to get mad.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #26
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Dustin Hopkins Sucks Post Game Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
The 1st INT: They were in FG range, but if Wright doesn't tip that pass, I think Sims either catches it at the 5 yard line, or it's incomplete. That was just unfortunate. Not a bad throw on the run in my opinion.

The 2nd INT: They were not in FG range, unless you think Hopkins is good for a 61 yard FG (nope). He read the CB wrong. He thought Reed was going to stay with McLaurin, but he broke it off and came up to make the INT. I think if he could take it back, he pumps to Sims and hits McLaurin in the end zone for an easy TD; or he just hits Barber in the flat for 5-6 yards.

Live and learn. I'm glad he is trying to push the ball down the field. The offense looked better today with Haskins at QB. Out of 10 possessions, six drives were at least 8 plays, five of those going for more than 40 yards. Against the 49ers they had 13 possessions - only TWO drives with at least 8 plays, and only ONE drive of more than 40 yards.

The INTs hurt, but even with those, if Hopkins makes that extra point it's a different game.

Im going off word of mouth from the game thread because I had to listen. Also off the announcers take which was that they were both bad decisions but the first pass from what I understand was a risky pass. There was no reason to risk anything. The second may not have been in fg range but we were damn close and it wasn’t a panic situation again. Haskins has had a couple years to live n learn. He should not be pushing the ball down the field in those situations unless he has a clear shot. He stinks. I am shocked that so many are on the DH train still.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:42 AM   #27
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Im going off word of mouth but the first pass from what I understand was a risky pass. There was no reason to risk anything. The second may not have been in fg range but we were damn close and it wasn’t a panic situation again. Haskins has had a couple years to live n learn. He should not be pushing the ball down the field in those situations unless he has a clear shot. He stinks. I am shocked that so many are on the DH train still.
He's started 12 games in the NFL. You must be counting his College career.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #28
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:

Chief I disagree on the first INT, it was deep into territory with two defenders, and it never should've been thrown. It's what happens when you get frustrated and you try to make a play because you're not willing to take what the defense gives you.

The other beef that I have with Haskins is his progressions, it looks like he only scans half the field on some plays before he dumps it. There was a play in particular where Haskins had a guy running open down the seam but he never even looked in his direction before checking down. Is he being coached to only scan half the field to get the ball out quicker?
Old 12-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #29
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
He's started 12 games in the NFL. You must be counting his College career.

Im counting that he has had two years to “learn” not sulk on social media. You do not have to start to learn. His footwork is still nonsense. His decision making is still nonsense. His seeing the field is still nonsense. Do you really think he is our quarterback of the future? Would you not change that pick right now if given the choice to do so?
Old 12-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #30
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I'm not on any train, but the offense looked better yesterday than it has in the last four wins.