Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoke Signals: Rock Cartwright needs to get over it edition

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #16
Miller101
Special Teams

Re: Smoke Signals: Rock Cartwright needs to get over it edition

Rock has been pissed ever since they brought Mason on this team and rightfully so. He's worked hard to get where he's at and he gets no appreciation for it. I mean, seriously, would you guys really want Antonio Brown back on this team returning kicks? You know, the guy that would blow kisses at his defenders while running down the field?

Rock has been steady at returning for us for three years now. We didn't have a good kick returner for a while once we cut Brian Mitchell. The guys that took his place f'ed it all up! Like the ball hitting Deon Sanders in the head! Or averaging 20-23 yards a return with four different guys returning kicks. Or the fumbles.

Rock has averaged 25+ returning kicks with NO fumbles. He has made our once unstable kick returns stable. He's been at the top of the returners list for three straight years. People should recognize that and appreicate it. Its hard to get a good solid return guy. But we got one in Rock. I don't understand what is so bad about that. I mean, how bad would it suck if we let Alridge return a kick for us during an actual game? Geez, That guy doesn't even know which arm to carry the ball with OR to take a knee when you catch a ball FIVE YARDS DEEP IN THE END ZONE!!! Letting him do something like that would be even worse than benching Jason Campbell in favor of Brett Favre.
"And the Redskins went down there and manhandled them and they basically undressed them and now everybody's been lining up to get a piece of them." - John Riggins on the last game we played in Texas Stadium
Miller101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #17
MTK
\m/

I'm not understanding this notion that he should just sit back and be happy with what he's got. He was a 7th rounder so he should be happy with simply being on the team.

Shouldn't we expect all of our players to strive to be better, to want the ball more, to want more playing time, to want a bigger role??

Not saying that complaining in the paper is the best route to go, but hey, the guy is upset and he is free to voice his opinion. If I recall he's been upset in the past over not having a bigger role, but in the end he sucks it up and goes out there and plays hard no matter what. I highly doubt this turns into a lingering issue.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #18
wilsowilso

Do you're job. Special Teams has made you a very wealthy man.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #19
Swarley
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller101 View Post
I mean, seriously, would you guys really want Antonio Brown back on this team returning kicks? You know, the guy that would blow kisses at his defenders while running down the field?
lol that brought back memories

Like Matty said though, he's gonna work hard and get his job done regardless of how he might feel right now. It's also nice to know that he actually believes in himself just in case there is a time when he needs to be running the ball.
Swarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #20
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

He should strive to be better (regardless of where he was drafted), but that could simply mean being better at special teams. He's free to voice his opinion, but I thought he took an unnecessary, back-handed slap at Mason in doing so. Which wasn't right.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #21
diehard
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Keeping Mason over Dorsey or Aldridge still doesn't make sense to me. He's not a change of pace, he doesn't play teams, Betts is the 3rd down back, so when is Mason going to see the field??
Mason will see the field when Portis goes down and Betts will still serve as the 3rd down back. Or Betts steps up and Mason becomes the third down back.
diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #22
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Keeping Mason over Dorsey or Aldridge still doesn't make sense to me. He's not a change of pace, he doesn't play teams, Betts is the 3rd down back, so when is Mason going to see the field??
I think Mason is the 53rd guy on the roster. Inactive most Sundays, getting reps during the week but if there's a need to add someone, he's the first to go. Did Alridge get picked up on anyone's practice squad? I'm a little surprised that he was cut but I think his J-Vill fumble meant he couldn't be on the opening day roster but I won't be shocked to see him back (if available).

As to the OP, Rock has shown three coaches that he's not an NFL running back. He's a solid, but not a Pro Bowl level, special teams player on a team with average to below average special teams. If he wasn't on the team I don't think he's the difference between 10-6 and 6-10. In the immortal words of THE Rock, he needs to 'know his role and shut his mouth'.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #23
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

I can understand Rock's frustration but I do not know what he hoped to accomplish by venting to the press.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #24
saden1
MVP

Ballers ball, haters hate. Don't be a hater, be a baller.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #25
Redskin Warrior
The Starter

Rock needs to take notes from J. Campbell don't complain acknowledge your disappointed and kill it every time he gets a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #26
PennSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
I agree Matt. It is almost as if it is a fan move only. Besides not playing special teams, I certainly would not want him back there blocking. So I am not sure why I would want him back there. Seems like a wasted roster spot to me.

PennSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #27
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Rock makes his living on teams. It is what it is. A #3 RB he's not.

Move on Rock. Your great at what you do, keep on truckin! This is a none issue. Rock will play hard for the SKINS!
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #28
Swarley
The Starter

This might shed some light on Masons role

Quote:
"We think [Mason] is a talented running back," Mitchell said. "We went with two quarterbacks, and it just worked out for him this year. We know he can run the ball; he has good hands and good vision."

Mitchell said if Portis and Betts get banged up early in the season and can't practice, Mason would be included in the game plan.

"Last year, they couldn't practice during the course of the week, and [Shaun] Alexander took all the reps but those two guys played in the game," he said. "It wouldn't be that way this year. If Mason takes all the reps, he would definitely take some carries."
Four's a crowd for Redskins' backfield - Washington Times

So in essence they feel he's someone who will be able to take that number 2 spot in the future and for right now he seems to be cover for Betts.
Swarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #29
SC Skins Fan
The Starter

Quote:
Mason is on the the team to (maybe) take Betts' roster spot next season. From limited action I think it was clear that Mason was a superior back to either Dorsey or Aldridge. Yes, they could probably beat him in a foot race, but straight-line speed is not what separates NFL running backs. In my opinion the most important quality for a back to have is lateral agility. Everyone likes to talk about Darren Sproles or Leon Washington as "change of pace backs," and it would be nice to have a player like that on the team. But what makes those players special is not their speed, per se, but rather than dynamic lateral explosiveness. That is why those guys score touchdowns. If they were just fast guys they would not be dangerous (see Michael Bennett or Darren McFadden). Lateral agility is what made Tomlinson an all-time great in his prime, it is what makes Portis elite (even though he doesn't score 60 yard tds), and it is what separates Mason from guys like Aldrige or Dorsey. Sure, Mason is not a "change of pace" in that he can score from anywhere, but neither Aldrige or Dorsey was that player either (they were just fast, not dynamic). Mason gives the team a potential #2 back who can replace Betts and that is why he is here.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #30
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekSkin View Post
This might shed some light on Masons role

Four's a crowd for Redskins' backfield - Washington Times

So in essence they feel he's someone who will be able to take that number 2 spot in the future and for right now he seems to be cover for Betts.
Nice find GreekSkin. Sounds like a plan.