Smoot lays the smack down (Skins/Bills) - mattyk edition

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #241
mredskins
MVP

Re: Smoot lays the smack down (Skins/Bills) - mattyk edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbyte View Post
So far the Shannahans haven't performed better than Steve Spurrier, Norv Turner, Schottenheimer, or Jim Zorn. These guys are a complete joke. This year had a great class of QB's who have all shown promise and expedient progress; Newton, Dalton, Ponder, Locker including Ryan Mallet. And guess what, we didn't get any of them. All of them are much better than what we have now. For Shannahan to miss out on all of them proves that the game has passed him by.

Has Locker even played yet???

If Dan fired MS right now, who do you think would even want to come to this team?

I am just as frustrated as the next guy but it is going to take time plain and simple.

Advertisements
Old 11-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #242
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Five questions facing the Redskins | John Keim | NFL | Washington Examiner

Good article posted by Matty in the other section.

Quote:
2 How long is John Beck's leash? He had one decent game in Carolina and one bad game in Buffalo. Should we really be talking about a possible benching already? He needs more help from his teammates; they also need more from him. But if they're struggling Sunday vs. San Francisco -- a good defense -- and if Beck is off again, then change is fair. Beck deserves to see how he recovers -- that was only his sixth NFL start -- but he needs a good outing.

3 What can spark a turnaround? Playmakers. The Redskins don't have them on offense, so it must come from the defense and special teams. They have numerous playmakers on defense: corner DeAngelo Hall, safety LaRon Landry, etc. Somehow they must come up with more plays to put the offense in good situations. You know, like they did in the first half vs. Buffalo. Oops. Also, Brandon Banks needs a big return. This team needs a major spark, and he can provide one.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #243
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I found this which is a good write up about last weeks game or rather a break down of the 9 sacks since there was nothing else really worth breaking down. lol.

A Look at All 9 Sacks by the Bills Against the Redskins - Hogs Haven

Some of the issue's were the issue's I had with Beck, however I failed to communicate. I kept saying Grossman is better at reading what the defense is giving him and changing to a more favorable play, where as Beck will stick with the play sent in and good, bad, or indifferent he tries to make it work.

I love the comments afterwards.

Quote:
pshh yea. thats what i had been saying all along when the beck/rex debate came into the picture while rex is a turnover machine, he throws INT’s while moving the ball DOWN THE FIELD. so the INT he throws essentially takes the place of a punt in a sense. while its not optimal, its better for the team than this sort of thing.

those sacks are drive killers and force punts. of all the things grossman does, he DOES find the open reciever by moving through his progressions quickly(sometimes too quickly). he WOULD have found paul on that play.

the choice between beck and grossman is like having to choose between death by fire and death by drowning. you dont want either but the drowning somehow seems more appealing.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #244
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I found this which is a good write up about last weeks game or rather a break down of the 9 sacks since there was nothing else really worth breaking down. lol.

A Look at All 9 Sacks by the Bills Against the Redskins - Hogs Haven

A excellent breakdown. I can't disagree with any of that, and it was apparent (even during the game) that Beck was simply holding onto the ball too long at times.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #245
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I know I've been super critical of Beck, but only after everyone got on the "it's all Grossman's fault, he sucks" mantra. I tried to point out it's not all Grossman's fault, I'll even go so far as to say it's not all Beck's fault for the INT's. Fumbles-yes, holding the ball too long-yes, failing to read the defense-yes, sacks-yes. These other issue's were not issue's Grossman brought to the table but maybe once in each game besides the INT's.

All said both QB's have produced the same number of INT's. I called that. I said I didn't think anything was going to change based off what I saw the receivers doing or not doing. Another reason I felt we needed another WR possibly a vet and yes I dared to throw out T.O.'s name. But if there is another veteran WR available the team might should look into them.

On top of that the team (coach's) need to assess the opponants weakness a little better. I think the majority of the fans here made some really decent points as to what plays the team needed to use more in the last 2 games. Unfortunatly the team (coach's) didn't choose those plays. I don't know if it would have made a difference but I like to think in the last 2 games had the team used more slants (only 1 run vs. the Bills and worked), screens (only 1 vs the Panthers, and 2 vs. the Bills and worked), and comebacks, the team might have done better instead of constantly looking for the deep ball or the 15 yrd + throws.

This is a WCO. short passes until the defense moves up to stop it and then and only then does the big play work. It just seems like the whole team is out of wack from the coaching down. The team in general has gotten away from what if has done or what it needs to do for some reason. There has to be a happy medium between Gibbs2 screen, screen, screen almost every play and MS/KS 1 screen a game, no slants. Sometimes it's all about getting the ball beyond the DL and if the run is not there and the deep ball is not there then us the short passes, slants, and screens to slow down the defense and force them to put more people into coverage to open up the run lanes.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #246
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Five questions facing the Redskins | John Keim | NFL | Washington Examiner

Good article posted by Matty in the other section.
The thing I've seen though in watching Beck is how accurate and quick his release is. I mean the foundation is there with the work ethic, quick release, and mobility. If we can get back to playing Redskin football (running the ball, controlling the clock, playing good defense) then Beck will become an asset.

Honestly after watching Campbell's slow release, McNabb's ground balls, and Rex's wobblers, Beck's passes have become a welcome sight.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #247
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
The thing I've seen though in watching Beck is how accurate and quick his release is. I mean the foundation is there with the work ethic, quick release, and mobility. If we can get back to playing Redskin football (running the ball, controlling the clock, playing good defense) then Beck will become an asset.

Honestly after watching Campbell's slow release, McNabb's ground balls, and Rex's wobblers, Beck's passes have become a welcome sight.
But his issue's still remain... he has a beautiful deep ball but if he can't get it anywhere near the WR or the WR's fail to go after or fight for the ball then it's useless. If the coaching staff is not going to call plays that actually utilize Becks mobility ie; QB runs, or roll outs then it's pointless. If Beck is not reading the defense properly or fails to make and adjustment for what the defense is giving him then he's no good to the team.

Basically there is potential but the mental game is not making it to the football field. You can have the best General in peace time but if he can't manage a war he's no better then the PFC in the trenches.

I think it boils down to the system and the coaching staff calling plays that benifit your QB abilities. You can't expect Campbell to drop back and make a fast read and get rid of the ball if he can't do that, so you beef up the OL and try to give him more time to make his reads. The problem is KS's system is a quick drop fast read get the ball out type of system. Grossman is good at that but doesn't have the arm strength to throw the deep ball. Beck has the strength but no accuracy. The only difference is Becks mobility which is not being utilized well enough or so I think.

If KS wants a QB to stand in the pocket and deliver the ball they might as well go back to Grossman who was able to read the defense and go through his progressions faster and get the ball out. I'll accept the 2 INT's a game. If KS wants a QB who can scramble, run for yards, and roll out then keep Beck and use those skill sets and use plays that use those skill sets.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #248
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Great analysis. Unfortunately they missed one:

Change gives Bills a 10th sack in Redskins win - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

"How bad are things going for the Washington Redskins? They’ve been given a new dubious franchise record—in the middle of the week. The Buffalo Bills announced Wednesday that a scoring change has given the team a 10th sack in the 23-0 victory over the Redskins on Sunday in Toronto.

That’s the second most in Bills history—behind an 11-sack performance at Denver on Dec. 13, 1964. For the Redskins, it’s the most they’ve ever allowed. The nine sacks had tied a franchise mark that last occurred in 1978.

The change was made on first quarter play when John Beck scrambled, then recovered his own fumble. It was originally ruled a rushing play but is now a sack shared by Nick Barnett and Danny Batten".

Last edited by CrazyCanuck; 11-02-2011 at 08:27 PM.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #249
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
But his issue's still remain... he has a beautiful deep ball but if he can't get it anywhere near the WR or the WR's fail to go after or fight for the ball then it's useless. If the coaching staff is not going to call plays that actually utilize Becks mobility ie; QB runs, or roll outs then it's pointless. If Beck is not reading the defense properly or fails to make and adjustment for what the defense is giving him then he's no good to the team.

Basically there is potential but the mental game is not making it to the football field. You can have the best General in peace time but if he can't manage a war he's no better then the PFC in the trenches.

I think it boils down to the system and the coaching staff calling plays that benifit your QB abilities. You can't expect Campbell to drop back and make a fast read and get rid of the ball if he can't do that, so you beef up the OL and try to give him more time to make his reads. The problem is KS's system is a quick drop fast read get the ball out type of system. Grossman is good at that but doesn't have the arm strength to throw the deep ball. Beck has the strength but no accuracy. The only difference is Becks mobility which is not being utilized well enough or so I think.

If KS wants a QB to stand in the pocket and deliver the ball they might as well go back to Grossman who was able to read the defense and go through his progressions faster and get the ball out. I'll accept the 2 INT's a game. If KS wants a QB who can scramble, run for yards, and roll out then keep Beck and use those skill sets and use plays that use those skill sets.
But but, his passes are purty.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #250
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
But but, his passes are purty.

Spoken like a true southern.