Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Peter King: Broncos-Skins reach agreement

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-24-2004, 09:57 PM   #16
Ghost
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan26
I think we should get Portis and DT Gardner for Champ and 2nd round pick.
Not a bad idea.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-24-2004, 10:06 PM   #17
Ghost
Special Teams

Giving up the #2 hurts a little but Portis' appeal is that he's been a top 5 NFL running back the past two years ... he's as close to a sure thing as you get. Who knows if Kevin Jones or Steven Jackson or Greg Jones will pan out? Well we know Portis can run for 1,500 and 15 TDs per season. More importantly, Gibbs knows Portis can carry the load, be the focal point. He doesn't want to gamble on rookies ... he likes experience (see Brunell vs. Ramsey). He traded for Byner and Riggs, brought in Kelvin Bryant, George Rogers, talked Riggins out of retirement. All these guys started with other teams. Gibbs likes vets. So hello Clinton Portis, maybe the best RB he's ever had (sorry Riggo).
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:58 PM   #18
mizzo skins man
Camp Scrub

I hate to see bailey go, but if he doesn't want to be a redskin we really don't need him anyway.

Hopefully Portis will be the same back that he was in Denver.
mizzo skins man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 11:06 PM   #19
jdlea
Playmaker

If Clinton Portis can come in and do what he did in Denver, it doesn't matter what happened with our second rounder. We'll be fine. They only had a second rounder last year, it seemed, just because they blew that doesn't mean you can't win with the team they have. Forget the second rounder, Champ wasn't coming back anyway.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:45 AM   #20
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Spearhead:

It looks as if you can have your pick of the Philly CBs because the latest sccop out of Philly is that neither Taylor or Vincent will be resigned. If the Eagles relent, the smart money says they will try to keep Vincent on a short term deal but that Taylor is not on their radar screen.

Taylor is not as good as Champ by a longshot. But he is better than anyone on the roster here at the moment! Vincent is better than Taylor.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:03 AM   #21
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

We were going to lose Bailey, one way or another. We did not wan't to pay him the tag money or to have him hold out, so it was a matter of what to get for him.

Other teams knew this up front, so we had to give soemthing, even though I think Champ is worth more straight-up.

Getting draft picks is great, but proven vets are arguably less of a risk. Portis has done it for 2 years, and he's very young. He's a quality back.

Wonder what the contract will look like? The main issue is how much cap space we clear. If it's a lot, that's worth the second-rounder right there, because we can pick up another free agent.

I say trade down for more picks. My guess is that's what they're going to do if they'll part with the 2nd rounder.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:46 AM   #22
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

with this deal and Armstead gone, there is no way the Skins are drafting at #5...if they do, it'll be one of the worst drafts ever (worse than Shuler...worse than Howard). With the #5, we are now in the drivers seat to pick up a few picks, which are desperately needed with the new holes opening up. No hole at RB, but holes at CB, SLB (rumor is LaVar moves to weak side), DE, DT. I hope Gregg Williams can convince guys to come play here. So, for those that want Sean Taylor in burgundy and gold...forgetaboutit...

If we can trade down to the middle of the first, pick up a 2nd and perhaps a 5th...we could get a DT (Starks et al) or CB in the first...defensive lineman in the 2nd...and use 2 5th rounders on project players. Sign Springs (local boy, will probably come here for cheaper than anywhere else) and hopefully Kearse...and plug the strong side in with Pierce or free agent...then the defense wouldn't look half bad...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:18 AM   #23
ChounsMan
Special Teams

Exclamation

With Portis now a Redskin..?? Pending a contract dispute. I'd say the skins need to either sign the best available DT (Randy Starks 6'4" 312) or top FS ( Sean Taylor 6'3" 225).

With a vet QB, proven RB superstar, & a O-line that has talent, I can't see how they could pass on these 2 great players...????
Old 02-25-2004, 08:21 AM   #24
MTK
\m/

I wonder if the Skins would be more apt to listen to offers for Ramsey now?? Hmmm, another first rounder would be very tempting right now despite Gibbs' "refusal" to trade him.

If anything, I smell a trade down from the #5 spot.
MTK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 09:21 AM   #25
Skins fan 44
Impact Rookie

I like the thought of getting Portis not sure of giving up a 2nd round pick but if he has another 1500+ season then it is worth it. Is he a Gibbs style of rb? I think with help from the other backs our running game should be great setting us for an even better passing game.
Skins fan 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 09:39 AM   #26
beg8878
Special Teams

Thumbs up

I've been in Mardi Gras for awhile and get back to this....Am I still drunk? Well, I see it is still the same familair names, just a little different format. On the whole Portis thing. This is an absolute steal of a trade. We all know that Champ didn't want to be here and to get a 22 year old RB coming off back to back 1500+ seasons is unbelievable.. I don't want to hear that he doesn't fit Gibbs offense. Spurrier said the same thing and look where that got us. He will be fine in our offense. He is the total package and may very well be right up there with Barry Sanders and Payton (I'll purposesly leave out Emmitt)when all is said and done. I haven't gone back to read everyones opinion on the matter and maybe it was all discussed on another tread. I just wanted to start posting...its good to be back
beg8878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:18 AM   #27
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan26
I think we should get Portis and DT Gardner for Champ and 2nd round pick.

Denver overpayed Gardner. i don't want that contract. Let them cut him then we can pick him up cheaper.
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:22 AM   #28
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Portis is a great runner, but I wouldn't compare him to the master, Barry Sanders!

As far as trading down for more picks. I'd agree with you if Taylor wasn't such an incrediable player. If he's off the board, deal down. If he's there, we'd be absolutly crazy not to take him, especially with the hit our secondary is going to take!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:55 AM   #29
Spearhead
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Portis is a great runner, but I wouldn't compare him to the master, Barry Sanders!

As far as trading down for more picks. I'd agree with you if Taylor wasn't such an incrediable player. If he's off the board, deal down. If he's there, we'd be absolutly crazy not to take him, especially with the hit our secondary is going to take!
thinkin the same thing
Plenty of critics out there expect Taylor to be one of, if not the best S in the league the 1st day he starts. If he's not there at #5 then yeah, the talent drop is significant so trading down would be the smart play but I don't see a lower 1st round DT? DE? and mid-2nd round whoever? having the immediate impact Taylor will. I'd hate to see us pass on the best defensive player in this draft- for 2 of anything.
Spearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:07 PM   #30
backrow
The Starter

No FA's yet!

We have cleared cap room, and now LDS & cousinvinnie are going to fly all over the country picking up a plane load of FAs again! That's Football LDS style! When in doubt, aim high, and throw more money at the team!

Were we surprised with all of the FAs last year? Yes! Were we upset to lose all of the Draft picks? Yes! But we had a great offseason! Then, OBC and his assistant coaches took us to the top after only three weeks of the season!

Then, reality set in, and now, we have HOF Coach Gibbs and a lot of whining about loosing Draft picks. I'm not whining. I can't wait to see what HOF Coach Gibbs does for this team. First taking it apart, then, piece by piece....................

HOF Coach Gibbs (NASCAR Joe!) has more talent than how to drive a car and make left handed turns, he knows Football!

In one week from now, after FA starts, there will be less whining!

Some want to trade #5, and we may. Some want to get S. Taylor, and that would be great. Either way, we win!

I'll go on record now and predict 8-8! An improvement, certainly, and a reflection of HOF Coach Gibbs first tour year here from a lifetime ago!