The Redskins Are Close

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #31
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: The Redskins Are Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
Wow...I'm getting a feeling that you watched the whole game and actually believe that.

Whew...Tynes scored a FG with 3 minutes 12 seconds in the fourth quarter. We receive the ball and score a TD with 1 minute 30 seconds left in the game. With the kickoff we scored in 1 minute and 42 seconds...

What Redskin offense is capable of scoring in 1min42sec??? So far it's taken us 5-fold that just to get into the redzone and kick a FG. If you don't see that as a gimmie score by the Giants prevent defense then there are other things you're not seeing.
Don't you see the stretches you have to make to fit the Redskins offense into this realm of complete incompetence?

There's no such thing as a gimme score in football. Teams will happily trade yards for clock minutes, but if you think that the Giants thought it ideal to let the Redskins into the end zone with 1:30 on the clock, you're narrative is already dead in the water.

This is similar to the argument I jumped on GMScud for yesterday, and while I'm not doubting that you've thought through your critiques, the game doesn't end when you declare it's over. You can't even say the Giants weren't blitzing to try to slow down the Redskins. Trust me, they weren't looking to get into an onside-kick-decides-the-game siutation.

For most of the game, the Redskins passing offense > Giants passing defense. That drive was simply an extension of that principle.

Advertisements
Old 09-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #32
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Ok, Redskins suck and they are going to lose on Sunday and well you'll be correct and get to gloat about it here for eternity. That's what you want, right? I mean, you're going out of your way to piss all over a somewhat positive thread. No?
lol...No...of course not. Why would I want them to suck?

I'm not saying they're going to lose this Sunday...they're playing the Lions for god sakes.

But everyone, including me, is seriously considering that they will struggle against the 0-18 lions when they do play. What is the expectation on the year if we struggle against the lions on Sunday?...It doesn't take the finest football minds to tell you that playing out of the gate this season we're not built to last or to win.

That's probably why there is a hint of salt to my replies.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #33
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

If we get 8 possessions, and we have long drives, then we will legitimately get a minimum of 23 points. That's reasonable based on what we have done so far, and assuming every receiver is not going to drop every pass that hits their hands in the endzone. Stafford has thrown 5 INTs so its reasonable to think that DHall or Horton come away with a Pick. and that gives us a short field to score off of. so thats 26 or 30.

I think we should expect to see 27 points minimum for this to be a turning point game.

and if you tell me their offense scores more than 10 points you have to give me proof on that. even giving them a fluke TD, like the Giants got. That is 17 points. Max.

Accuscore has us at 26-17, I think thats about right.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:07 PM   #34
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

I'm always ready for a rally call!

Let's kick some ass on Sunday! I'm ready for an effin beat down. I'm def. going to break open the Natty B'oh 30 pack and be a Redskins fan. I don't think we're that far off, the talent is there.

I think the best point 12th brings to the table is this:

There is no way Moss will continue to be this ineffective. Tana is healthy, and he is still blazing fast. He will get his 1 on 1 coverage, and open up. I'm so ready for a 100yd 2 td day for Moss.

And can we bring back the Moss screen pass? I guess with Thomas going down that hurts us a little bit in that department, but I love the WR screen.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #35
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
For most of the game, the Redskins passing offense > Giants passing defense. That drive was simply an extension of that principle.
If that was true then this would have happened...Redskins score > Giants score

...being that it didn't I'd say your narrative is the one that is inaccurate.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #36
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
I'm always ready for a rally call!

Let's kick some ass on Sunday! I'm ready for an effin beat down. I'm def. going to break open the Natty B'oh 30 pack and be a Redskins fan. I don't think we're that far off, the talent is there.

I think the best point 12th brings to the table is this:

There is no way Moss will continue to be this ineffective. Tana is healthy, and he is still blazing fast. He will get his 1 on 1 coverage, and open up. I'm so ready for a 100yd 2 td day for Moss.

And can we bring back the Moss screen pass? I guess with Thomas going down that hurts us a little bit in that department, but I love the WR screen.
Man remember a couple of years ago Tanna ate the Chiefs up with the screen pass? Was Herm Edwards the coach then?
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #37
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

can I point out that minus JCs fumble, our offense did score more than the Giants.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #38
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:

I'm not saying they're going to lose this Sunday...they're playing the Lions for god sakes.

But everyone, including me, is seriously considering that they will struggle against the 0-18 lions when they do play. What is the expectation on the year if we struggle against the lions on Sunday?...It doesn't take the finest football minds to tell you that playing out of the gate this season we're not built to last or to win.

Well I think every sane person here has this in mind...but as I said, plenty of threads that have been talking about the negatives. I know the team didn't give us any positives after than win, but we have to hope.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #39
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
It seemed like yesterday we were enduring the August sun and training camp predictions. Anything and everything about Brian Orakapo, Marko Mitchell, or Marcus Mason was newsworthy and commanded our attention. Now two games into the regular season and we're sharply focused on a Redskin team like a couple of know it all interns bickering over how to treat a patient who just got wheeled into the emergency room. While the situation may require medical assistance, what's ailing the patient is not life threatening. Not even close.

I asked myself if I were the fan of another team, who happens to catch all the Redskins games live, what would be my honest assessment of this team and where do I see them going. Because grading something -anything- is difficult when you're so emotionally invested in the outcome. So I'm taking a step back. Where's that damn Paintrain thread when you need it!

I really don't want to rehash the team's epic failures in the red zone, because it's been well documented here and elsewhere. In fact, it's been talked about over and over and over again. I don't think there's one person breathing today that will put more pressure on Jim Zorn this week than Jim Zorn. We saw the offense open up from week one to week two. Coach Zorn just needs to take the next step, and I believe he will.

Besides coach Jim Zorn the other Redskin causing angst among the faithful is Jason Campbell. Right now Campbell is ranked 15th in the NFL in passing. Let me throw a few names out there for perspective. Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, and Aaron Rodgers, who by the way, has been sacked 10 times already, all rank below Campbell statistically. For all the critcism he's been receiving, some warranted some not, you would think he's chucking the ball in the air like Jake Delhomme. So let's be a little honest here, Campbell has been solid and probably a little more given the dropped passes he's had at critical moments thus far. I'm not a Jason Campbell apologist, but I sometimes wonder if the tables were turned and Campbell wore another uniform how many trade threads would be requesting for him to come play for Washington so that Zorn can "coach him up."

This team just needs to keep on winning until they find the easy button. If winning ugly is the formula for now, I'll take it. I'd much rather be going into week three bitching and moaning about Zorn than going into week six or seven bitching about Zorn. There's no way Moss will continue to be ineffective that much longer. Especially with the way Cooley and Kelly have started. I think Sellers and Thomas catch those balls next time. And honestly, I don't think losing Randy Thomas will be that big of a deal. He hasn't played a ton of downs over the past few years anyway, and when he has he wasn't exactly dominant, so I don't see any major disruption along the offensive line regardless of who they plug in to replace Thomas.

All of that being said, the Redskins will handle their business in Detroit. I'm not calling for a close game either. The Redskins are 7-2 in indoor facilities in the last six years, including 2004 and 2008 wins over the Lions at Ford Field. The defensive line found another gear last week and should only get better as the season wears on. And I think --hope --Zorn opens up the offense inside the twenty. I won't predict a final score, but I think the Skins by 17 points is doable. From there, I think they finish the season with six losses.

Here's to a big, big win in the Motor City this weekend!
I'm doing an end run around the Debbie Downers, who think that seeing the glass as half empty is the same thing as football wisdom, and return to the OP.

Good job here. I agree with most of what you say (I'm still leery of Moss, though). The offense has been moving the ball well and just needs to take that one last (but critical) step. The defense improves with each quarter played.

Whether ugly or pretty, a win is a win and counts the same in the standings.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #40
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
can I point out that minus JCs fumble, our offense did score more than the Giants.
Good point C.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #41
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Feel free to do that.

But you then have to take our fake FG TD play out of our offensive points equation. They then beat us 16-10.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #42
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:

Nope. You can't draw that conclusion strictly from the premises I gave. You also have to assume extra information.

The premises I gave are as follows, in case you missed it:

1) The Giants defense is not in the business of handing out chunks of yards for free. Large chunks of yards are earned.

2) Redskins, with the whole game as evidence, moved the ball through the air with relative ease. Therefore, Redskins passing offense > Giants passing defense.

The conclusion I'm making is that what happened between 3:00 and 1:30 in this game is not at all surprising, given the way the rest of the game had gone. It also ended up being irrelevant. But you didn't and couldn't have concluded at the time that it was irrelivant. Therefore, you can't assume what you are assuming about the TD not mattering.

Note that nowhere did I suggest that the Giants weren't the better team, only that, I'm not seeing the dominance you were.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #43
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Feel free to do that.

But you then have to take our fake FG TD play out of our offensive points equation. They then beat us 16-10.
But that is still better than allowing them to put up 32 points as the Cowboys did. Moral victories don't count, but this is a Giants team that many are arguing to be the best team in football right now.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #44
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Feel free to do that.

That's hardly dominant is it Tee?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:19 PM   #45
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

I don't think that's really a fair statement. We have youth at the DL, OL(yes there is youth there), WR's, CB's, QB, Safeties. Now in terms of built to win, again, I am the optimist that says our qb has a very good pass completion percent, low int rate. our DL should be fierce as it gets on the same page. And Kelly/ARE/Cooley may become a triple threat receiving.

Obviously built to win, they need to prove that. But built to last, if our owner doesn't listen to the fan hacks, and instead stays patient, this team has a lot of youth that is capable of being together for many years.