Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

This loss could be the best thing to happen to his franchise.

Locker Room Main Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

This loss could be the best thing to happen to his franchise.

In my 30 years of being a Redskins fan, this is an all time low. Worse than losing the 1 game to the 1-15 Cowboys. Worse than losing 38-9 in the Super Bowl. Worse than any Spurrier loss or even the Coach 'Robinskie' era. We lost to a team that hadn't won a game in 20 months. Any team would be embarrassed by today's effort and result. It just happens to have happened to us.

So now what? I think Dan Snyder has to now acknowledge that it's not working. This is not just a loss, this is an organizational failure. This is a failure of management, coaching and players. This is an organizational opportunity to reset. If Snyder reacts by firing Zorn tomorrow, that would be a typical, old Snyder knee jerk reaction. I hope he gets the realization that it's not working and takes a few measured steps to correcting the course of the franchise.

What I'd like to see Snyder do tomorrow is start the search immediately for a President of Football Operations. Instead of operating from the sideline up, we need drastic change from the front office down. There are some people available (Casserly, Holmgren, Floyd Reese, Bruce Allen) that Snyder could bring in now and allow them to take the season to evaluate the roster, the front office staff and the coaching staff. He doesn't need to make a move on Zorn or Cerrato. Someone needs to come in and be our Parcells or Joe Banner. We need an experienced front office person to come in and set the direction for the football team. Let them make the decisions on the coach and GM.

Personally, I want Shanahan to be our coach for the next decade because I believe he's a brilliant and progressive offensive mind and one of our major problems for decades is lack of an offensive identity. But, I don't think he'll be any more successful than Turner, Schotty, Spurrier, Gibbs or Zorn under our current structure. Unless we have a strong front office structure and an organizational plan, we'll be wasting Shanahan's talent and more years of our players careers.

I know I'm not breaking any new ground with this post, but this is a crucial point for the future of the Washington Redskins. We can do business as usual or make a dramatic change in the way things are done in order to save this once proud franchise.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote