Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Ryan Kerrigan - Keep Him or Let Him Go?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-21-2020, 07:28 AM   #1
Warthog
The Starter

Ryan Kerrigan - Keep Him or Let Him Go?

I have a Kerrigan jersey and have worn it many seasons. But this offseason, with new management, there will be a hard decision with Ryan Kerrigan.

It is easy to say - restructure and resign. But is that the best move for the team now, when they are going to draft Chase Young into his position? What does that mean for Ryan Anderson?

If Rivera drops Kerrigan he can sign with another team, including possibly a contender. It would save the team $11.7 on the cap. That money can be used to hire the best TE FA available or could get us a very good CB FA.

The biggest opportunity if Kerrigan is dropped is for Ryan Anderson. He’s younger and cheaper as the Edge backup. Kerrigan’s departure gives Anderson the opportunity he needs to show what he has.

I know there is a lot of emotion for Kerrigan. But $11.7 mill is A LOT of money that will fill a hole in the defense at CB, FS or LB through FA. It is easy to say we want Ryan to restructure, so he can retire a Redskin. But with the incredible amount of draft power invested in the DL, do we really need to spend millions on Kerrigan, when we have
Ryan Anderson?

The cap level is a zero sum game. If you spend $5-7 mill so Kerrigan can cruise off into the Redskins sunset, you reject other options for the money. What say you on this matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-21-2020, 08:01 AM   #2
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Re: Ryan Kerrigan - Keep Him or Let Him Go?

I don't know which one of the AM radio sports talk shows it was as I flip between 3 when driving, mostly due to reception issues. They were talking Redskins and some Cowboy fan calls up and says if Kerrigan is cut loose he will end up with a star on his helmet. That would not seem right to me, kind of like a guy sleeping with his best friend's wife.

As for what to do I would try to restructure and keep him. Until last year the guy never missed a game and averaged double digit sacks.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #3
EdmundDorf
The Starter

I think Anderson is an OLB in the 4-3, so I dont think he enters the conversation about Kerrigan..... if they want to get rid of RK they can trade him and get some picks aswell as saving on the cap..... dont think this will be settled until the draft when they know whether or not that they have Chase Young. We have plenty of cap space now so don't need to rush to a decision
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:12 AM   #4
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Tough call here, he's a solid player but if you are drafting Young and already have Sweat what's the point in that cap hit of Kerrigan?
Old 02-21-2020, 08:25 AM   #5
MTK
\m/

Keep him but not at his current cap number

Old 02-21-2020, 08:27 AM   #6
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post

This...do an extension to reduce at like a 3 year deal where its affordable.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:47 AM   #7
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Either Anderson or Kerrigan has to go, love them both. If Kerrigan restructures, being that he’s a fan favorite, he’ll stay. Package Dunbar and Anderson in a deal for picks, Anderson is on the upswing.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:49 AM   #8
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Either Anderson or Kerrigan has to go, love them both. If Kerrigan restructures, being that he’s a fan favorite, he’ll stay. Package Dunbar and Anderson in a deal for picks, Anderson is on the upswing.
Anderson was pretty good last year...but I want to see him as a SAM LB in a 4-3. I think he is a starter in this defense. RK will be a hand in the ground DE in the 4-3

He Gets Us
Old 02-21-2020, 09:23 AM   #9
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post

This would be ideal...but if he won't, it could go south. Chris Cooley said they'd be lucky to get a 5th round pick if they traded him...which seems very low to me, but he was adamant about it.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:04 AM   #10
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Anderson was pretty good last year...but I want to see him as a SAM LB in a 4-3. I think he is a starter in this defense. RK will be a hand in the ground DE in the 4-3
I agree. They play different positions in this 4-3.
I am not yet 100% convinced that Sweat is an every down DE in a 4-3. He flashes and disappears.
Kerrigan is the real deal, no question that RK is ready for a big year with a real D Coordinator.
Keep Kerrigan and restructure his deal.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #11
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I probably feel this way on all the major questions, but with Kerrigan especially I say wholeheartedly in Rivera I trust.. There is no purely wrong answer, ie keeping Colt McCoy like Gruden did, and there are several pure positive outcomes. I fully expect Rivera and his staff to have a fearsome defensive front, with or without Kerrigan.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:42 AM   #12
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Agree that there is no rush and I'm guessing there's no pressure from Kerrigan either. He knows he's on the downslope so he won't be getting some bumper deal if he's released. And no, we don;t need to do anything before the draft so RR will take his time and make the right decision, no matter what that is.
If he doesn't want to be the #2 behind Young and gets disgruntled (which I don't think he would) then it makes sense to cut loose, assuming there's no trade deal on the table. But if he's OK taking a cut in a restructure what's the downside? If he drops off a performance cliff we can cut him with little baggage and if he continues to play at a high level he's an ideal #2, plus gives options for different DL (and LB) packages.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #13
Ruhskins
Living Legend

You can never have too many pass rushers.

Kerrigan wants to stay with the team, and I've been saying he'll likely do a team friendly deal to do so.

Kerrigan can still play, and he can be a mentor to Montez and Chase. I think the pros of keeping him outweight the cons IMO.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #14
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
I don't know which one of the AM radio sports talk shows it was as I flip between 3 when driving, mostly due to reception issues. They were talking Redskins and some Cowboy fan calls up and says if Kerrigan is cut loose he will end up with a star on his helmet. That would not seem right to me, kind of like a guy sleeping with his best friend's wife.

As for what to do I would try to restructure and keep him. Until last year the guy never missed a game and averaged double digit sacks.
Pro football isn't about feelings and nostalgia. It's a ruthless cutthroat business. It would suck but if Farve went to go play for the Vikings then Kerrigan can go to Dallas. In the end it's business.

Now is the perfect time to move on from Kerrigan. You have to have the ability to see when a player is starting to hit the downside of his career and now is that time for Kerrigan.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:12 AM   #15
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

If RK expects more than 10 million per...cut his ass immediately

He Gets Us