Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Mel's Latest Mock

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-16-2005, 11:22 AM   #16
cpayne5
Playmaker

Re: Mel's Latest Mock

Smoot was first round talent, but he dropped to the second round for character issues. We lucked out while he was here.

Advertisements
Old 03-16-2005, 12:01 PM   #17
redwagonskins
Impact Rookie

Williamson scares me as a top ten pick because of what I call the Gardner factor. He is a gifted athlete in terms of size and speed but performed marginally at SoCa where he should have been able to dominate. Additionally, as NFL.com says "Has adequate hands, but struggles to adjust to the over-the-shoulder tosses … Can come back for the ball, but does not show great stop-and-go action (momentum sometimes takes him out of the play, as he overruns the ball) … Sometimes takes soft angles, especially on upfield routes". Sound like another WR from the state of South Carolina? Is this a guy you want to give a top ten contract too? Later in the first round, I say Yes but with a top ten pick, you have to go for the best guy available.
redwagonskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:06 PM   #18
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
but regardless, when can we finally put this Spurrier era behind us?
I'm guessing never??

One of the most embarrassing tenures in team history and we keep talking about it why??
Old 03-16-2005, 01:26 PM   #19
RedskinPete
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSkinsFan21
From reading most of the posts on this site, it seems like almost everyone here wants Mike Williams (that is, if Braylon is gone). What does anyone think about Troy Williamson out of South Carolina? Before the trade for Moss, I really wanted Williamson over Williams. I just have a hard time getting excited about a WR with 4.6 speed in the NFL who hasn't played a snap in over a year (no matter how big he is). Now that we have Moss, I suppose we already have the speedy WR to stretch the field, so I'm warming up to Williams. Overall though, a 6'1"+, 200+ lbs, WR with sub-4.4 speed (Williamson) sounds like an ideal WR in the NFL to me. Williams, on the other hand, will have to out-jump CBs in the NFL because he won't be able to outrun them.
I couldn't have said it better! I love Williamson! But the tryouts that Williams has been having has brought me to a stand still! Both would be great I think! But Williams speed is something to think about and the lack of a CB as well! One last thing didn't Williams run faster in his tryouts in socal last week?
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:35 PM   #20
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
I'm guessing never??

One of the most embarrassing tenures in team history and we keep talking about it why??
Because it's SOMETHING to talk about...
Old 03-16-2005, 02:38 PM   #21
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection
Because it's SOMETHING to talk about...
There's got to be better things to talk about, we don't still talk about Marty or Norv
Old 03-16-2005, 02:46 PM   #22
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I'm guessing never??

MOre emabarrasing tenure, Spurrier or Pettibon?
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:48 PM   #23
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Not only that, we have to have something to compare the good times to. If we never had bad times, it won't be nearly as sweet as when we win our next Super Bowl.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:27 PM   #24
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain
MOre emabarrasing tenure, Spurrier or Pettibon?
Petitbon was one and done, hard to fairly judge him. Spurrier at least had the chance to get some of his players and improve, we all know how that worked out.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:53 PM   #25
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwagonskins
Williamson scares me as a top ten pick because of what I call the Gardner factor. He is a gifted athlete in terms of size and speed but performed marginally at SoCa where he should have been able to dominate. Additionally, as NFL.com says "Has adequate hands, but struggles to adjust to the over-the-shoulder tosses … Can come back for the ball, but does not show great stop-and-go action (momentum sometimes takes him out of the play, as he overruns the ball) … Sometimes takes soft angles, especially on upfield routes". Sound like another WR from the state of South Carolina? Is this a guy you want to give a top ten contract too? Later in the first round, I say Yes but with a top ten pick, you have to go for the best guy available.

The problem with Williamson is he didn't play in a pass oriented offense and yet was still an explosive playmaker, he probably is the most unpolished of the top reciever's, but he also may have the biggest upside, he can catch and run, hopefully a good coach can get him running precise pass routes fairly quickly, I would love to see some film on the top reciever's to make a better assesment hopefully our scouting dept. does a good job and we walk away with the best WR in the draft.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:55 PM   #26
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru
peirce and smoot can be replaced by picks after the first round because afterall Smoot was a 2nd round choice and Peirce was undrafted so it's not like we can't find guys to replace them after the first round.
I've been a big fan of drafting Williams if available, but after reading some posts about the depth of our wrs, I'm kinda on the fence now and especially with the contract rumors about Moss. Because from day one I would think Williams would be the #1 or atleast #2 option and thus the depth chart would be Williams/Moss #1, Williams/Moss #2, Givens #3, Jacobs#4, and Thrash/Mccants#5. That's pretty deep considering some posters, including myself, think Jacobs has the ability in him to become a starting quality wr.
But on the flip side, the argument for a big playmaker @the WR position holds some weight in that, while Mccants has shown he can be a solid red zone contributor, he doesn't provide that much of a pop between the 20s. I believe Williams would be the perfect compliment to the flashy speed of our other wrs like we had hoped Gardner would be, but of course Gardner's never come close to having the same type of hands as Williams.

If we draft Williams, I'm cool with that. If we trade down to pick up more picks and add depth and actually scout talent well like they did last year, I'm cool with that as well. If it were me in charge, after watching how stagnant the offense was last year, I know I couldn't pass up on adding a playmaker to my offense.
William's can catch better with 1 hand than Gardner with 2!
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:50 PM   #27
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Worked about by scoring more PPG than a HoF coach, MAtty
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:07 PM   #28
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5
Smoot was first round talent, but he dropped to the second round for character issues. We lucked out while he was here.
that seems to happen every year with several players and there's no reason we can't find a solid #2 cb like smoot or a young talented cb to be molded by Williams and company somewhere in the draft other than in the first 10 to 20 picks of the draft. and from what I remember he was projected around the 20th pick or so that draft with his off the field problems excluded and we got him in the middle of the 2nd round so it's not like it was a huge steal that year.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:59 PM   #29
monk81
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
Just a little "Did You Know" for you guys-if Utah's Alex Smith is indeed the first pick and if, as expected, Utah C Andrew Bogut is the first pick in the NBA draft it would mark the first time ever that two players from the same school were selected number one in two different drafts
Hey TAFKAS I think you even outscooped ESPN with that "Did You Know"..........
Old 03-16-2005, 10:02 PM   #30
monk81
The Starter

Quote:
Petitbon was one and done, hard to fairly judge him. Spurrier at least had the chance to get some of his players and improve, we all know how that worked out.
Yes, Petitbon didn't get much of a chance........our defense was okay, but our offense sucked.........hmmmmmmmmmm sounds a tad familiar.....
I wonder why Petitbon didn't stick around.......I read where he had a 2 hours meeting with Jack Kent Cooke, wonder if Cooke was trying to get him to stay........we will never know. BUT I'll say this for Petitbon he DID beat Dallas