Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Matt Jones

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-30-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
Schneed10
A Dude

Matt Jones

Great read on Matt Jones, the freak from Arkansas.

QB, 6'6", 240 pounds, 4.4 in the 40, 40 inch vertical.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05...ris&id=2025109
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-30-2005, 03:32 PM   #2
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Re: Matt Jones

I watched Arkansas twice this year and at least once last year. Jones is an amazing athlete and a mediocre QB. He does not have a great arm and he is not all that accurate.

Now as a WR, that athleticism and that size could be very attractive.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

i heard from espn that he should go late first round or early second. I never would like to take him w/our pic but if we can trade down and pic up two pics like 1 late first and 1 second i wouldn't mind him. They say he will move to WR because he isn't that good at qb but i saw a tape with him doing mike vick stuff but breaking tackles to a like 60 yard touchdown, then slam it into the goal post with a huge leep
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:41 PM   #4
Big C
Mr. Brightside

man i want to get this guy
Old 03-30-2005, 03:59 PM   #5
gortiz
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C
man i want to get this guy
This is how Mort ended that article;

"Matt Jones won't be among the top 10 players selected in the April 23-24 draft, but I will venture to say that he'll play in more Pro Bowls than almost any of those guys."

HOLY CRAP! If you can't get pumped about that, you need to have your pulse checked!

I mean, what do you do? I think Mort is a pretty solid guy and he is loving Jones.

I wonder if he is even in the skins radar?!
gortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
Skinsfanforlife
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
Great read on Matt Jones, the freak from Arkansas.

QB, 6'6", 240 pounds, 4.4 in the 40, 40 inch vertical.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05...ris&id=2025109
I'd love the Skins to draft him he's a freak of nature. The guy has speed, can catch, tuff guy. plays hard all the time.

Looks like a Joe gibbs type player to me.
Skinsfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:08 PM   #7
gortiz
Special Teams

www.cnnsi.com/.../ 2001/11/04/top_performers/

article from 2001 about Matt Jones. I love the last sentence by coach Nutt (he he he)
Old 03-30-2005, 04:21 PM   #8
gortiz
Special Teams

From the Arkansas Gazette

"He’s got the versatility to play a lot of positions in our league, with quarterback probably being one of them also," said Washington Redskins offensive assistant Jack Burns, a former Arkansas graduate assistant. "He’s got a great upside and can do a lot of things to help a football team."

I wonder what the skins are thinking with this guy?

Would it be nuts to take him at 9? I know all along I've been saying mike williams, but when you look at both of them together, side by side. Jones is taller, 25 pounds heavier, faster, jumps higher, and has better hands by all accounts!
Old 03-30-2005, 04:24 PM   #9
Skinsfanforlife
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
I watched Arkansas twice this year and at least once last year. Jones is an amazing athlete and a mediocre QB. He does not have a great arm and he is not all that accurate.

Now as a WR, that athleticism and that size could be very attractive.
Maybe it's just me, but I see him as a tightend. Kinda like Jay Novacek but he maybe faster.
Skinsfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:25 PM   #10
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortiz
Would it be nuts to take him at 9? I know all along I've been saying mike williams, but when you look at both of them together, side by side. Jones is taller, 25 pounds heavier, faster, jumps higher, and has better hands by all accounts!
Ninth overall is probably high, since we'd convert him to a position he's never played before. At 9 overall I think you want to be pretty darn sure of what you're getting. This guy has lots of promise, but in the end you really don't know what kind of WR he's going to be.

I think the Skins would have to do some maneuvering to get him. They'd have to trade down to grab picks later in the 1st round and grab a 2nd rounder.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:51 PM   #11
ArringtonRules
Special Teams

I agree Ninth pick is to high for a guy who is a project at best. yes I agree he is a freak and is an amazing athelete. I have witnessed it time n again whenever my longhorns have gone up again arkansas. He was a one man show for that team!!
If we can somehow get a 2nd round pick we should definetly get him then if he is available. I don't seem him playing TE as he is not interested in playing that position. I think he opens the game for us with some trick plays especially in the red zone!!
I can't wait for the season to begin!! HTTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10
Ninth overall is probably high, since we'd convert him to a position he's never played before. At 9 overall I think you want to be pretty darn sure of what you're getting. This guy has lots of promise, but in the end you really don't know what kind of WR he's going to be.

I think the Skins would have to do some maneuvering to get him. They'd have to trade down to grab picks later in the 1st round and grab a 2nd rounder.
ArringtonRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:53 PM   #12
Winskins
Special Teams

If I were a personnel guy I would consider drafting him and figuring out what to do with him afterwards, but in all seriousness I think Matt Jones is a guy who can create mismatches all over the field. As a quarterback, it'd be hard to try to put a spy on him since he is much faster and about as strong as just about any linebacker. As a receiver, it would piss a cornerback off to know that jamming isn't really an option and if you let him go and try to cover him step for step you'll probably get burned. Also, with his height and crazy vertical he could get just about any jump ball over the corner.

Just to throw this out there: remember how Joe Gibbs really utilized the H-back position, this could be one of the guys that can play a new hybrid type position.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:04 PM   #13
56FAN
Special Teams

actually i read he ran 4.37, i say at that spped with his size and weight he's got it going on over mike williams. i'm sorry guys but i just get all excited about mister willams unless he can spped up some. a year out of school plus the jump to the pros is very tough, not saying he can't do it but will be suprised to see him make an impact in the first year, (foot note he was done wrong by the ncaa), just not the type of reciever to take over a game. recivers in our system are not required to be all that, ala the smurfs, small and quick. and we still won the super bowl. i think we should draft a wr but not high.
56FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:19 PM   #14
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I'm never a fan on taking a big gamble on someone changing from QB to anything out of college. It's a big gamble. If we can trade up our 3rd rounder (and gardner maybe) for a decent 2nd pick we may be able to pick him up. Other than that, I doubt we have a legitimate shot at him.

Eric Crouch ring any bells?

56Fan - the thing about Williams has never been his speed. It's his ability to nab any jump-ball, and never dropping a pass that makes him so valuable. His speed concerns me a bit too, but he'd be great because of the sure hands especially for a team that moved the ball decently on occassions, but had trouble getting the score out of it.

I don't think Gibbs likes McCants enough to make him our Monk (though I wouldn't be opposed to seeing that)
Old 03-30-2005, 05:21 PM   #15
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

could he be a TE or is he holding to be a WR i mean he could be the best TE in the game we just need to know if he can block. i just don't know how good his hands are because he was a QB and i don't know how some of u can say "he has better hands [than mike williams] by all accounts"
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote