F 0 0%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #16
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: Redskins Draft Analysis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
If I'm going to lose ten games in a season I'd much rather lose them with young players growing and learning together through the maturation process, than losing with highly paid often injured older players no longer possessed with that burning desire.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #17
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
we couldn't have gotten wisniewski AND hankerson, since we drafted hankerson with the 3rd rounder we got from trading back in the 2nd, if im not mistaken. if its one or the other, im good with hankerson and getting more picks.
Good point.

I really would have liked more O-lineman than just a 7th rounder, but we have so many needs and you can only do so much with one draft. I imagine we'll sign at least a couple O-lineman in free agency.

I heard Todd McShay earlier say there's absolutely no chance that Ryan Kerrigan is a bust. Bill Parcells also said that whoever drafts him is gonna get a heckuva football player. Me likey.

My favorite pick was Hankerson, and Helu was very solid, too. Between those two, Neild, Kerrigan, and Jenkins, we could very well have 5 drafted rookies starting. So I'd call that a successful draft for the most part.

I'll give it a B+. The only reason it falls short of an A is because of the O-line.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #18
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

I'll go with a B too.
I'll also say this was the best fraking draft we've had in a long time.
I would have done things a bit differently though -

I would not have gone defense on the second pick and would have taken the best tackle or guard on the board.
Same thing with the 4th and first 5th round picks (however I do like Helu now that we have him)

We may have gotten four starters from this draft.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #19
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I added up each picks value against my big board, and the only three teams that are getting A grades from me this year are the Giants, the Redskins, and...the Vikings?
Old 05-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #20
GMScud
Swearinger

With regard to the O-line- one thing that does make me feel a bit better about not drafting any players before the 7th round is that this was a particularly weak draft for tackles and guards.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #21
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I added up each picks value against my big board, and the only three teams that are getting A grades from me this year are the Giants, the Redskins, and...the Vikings?
Is your big board/draft grading available for viewing anywhere?
Old 05-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #22
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

I like our picks we drafted for need and I think we didn't leap for anyone we had six picks got as many as 13 and ended up with 12 good character guys some a little raw put they show alot of potential. B is my grade. I'm happy we didn't draft a QB don't give into media or the fans do what's in the best interest of the TEAM. HTTR.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #23
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Is your big board/draft grading available for viewing anywhere?
LiveBall Sports’ 2011 NFL Draft Big Board « LiveBall Sports
Old 05-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #24
GMScud
Swearinger

Nice, thanks.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #25
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
If I'm going to lose ten games in a season I'd much rather lose them with young players growing and learning together through the maturation process, than losing with highly paid often injured older players no longer possessed with that burning desire.
If you could shorten this thought to maybe 3 words, I'd get a T-shirt made......
EXCELLENT!!
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #26
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Drafting Kerrigan was a solid choice in and of itself, but trading down and accumulating picks while drafting Kerrigan was a stroke of genius. Kerrigan can and should come in and start from day one and have a great impact-especially on Orakpo on the other side.
I'm glad the Jags dug themselves such a deep hole with Garrard that they felt like they had no choice but to trade up to cleanse themselves of their own mess.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #27
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
With regard to the O-line- one thing that does make me feel a bit better about not drafting any players before the 7th round is that this was a particularly weak draft for tackles and guards.
Well maybe not at the top in terms of Guards. Actually I think one could easily make a case that at the top this was the best Guard class to come along in years. Pouncey, Franklin, Moffit, Canon, Boling, and even though he went in the 5th round how can you not like a guy named Kilgore, though having him block for someone named Gore might make things awkward.

Also I have to admit I did kind of like the lanky tackles in this class as they were surprisingly athletic with guys like Solder, Castanzo (a-hole), and Tyron Smith. So for a zone blocking team like us we would have been fine if we really need to find a left tackle. Though collectively last years tackle class was leaps and bounds above this years and none of those guys will be on the same level as Trent.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #28
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Drafting Kerrigan was a solid choice in and of itself, but trading down and accumulating picks while drafting Kerrigan was a stroke of genius. Kerrigan can and should come in and start from day one and have a great impact-especially on Orakpo on the other side.

I was a bit surprised by the Jenkins pick, but in retrospect it makes plenty of sense. Our depth behind Carriker is PD and Holliday. Great guys but how much longer can we count on them to defy father time?

The fact that most everyone knew we were eyeing Hankerson in the mid 2nd, and we got him in the 3rd was another stroke of genius. I know the Shanahans still believe very strongly in MK but they're also preparing themselves instead of just waiting around for him. Hankerson should be another day one starter.

They showed so much interest this off-season in Royster, I actually thought there was no way they'd draft him. But they did. Royster and Helu are very solid, but neither wows me. But it's better to let two young guys battle it out than say LJ and Willie Parker.

I know nothing of Gomes or Nield for that matter

Robinson is a very good player, but I'm thinking practice squad. He's got a little Eddie Royal/Santana in him

I'm not concerned we didn't draft more than one OL. We have youth at the OL position.

It does bother me that we couldn't find a single QB out of 12 draft picks. Best as I can tell, we're the only team in the league without at least one QB under 30 years old. I hope that's not the case when the season starts.

Overall, I'm very pleased with most of the players we got and the fact we were able to maneuver the draft board well enough to add players and get most of the guys we wanted. But we should have added a QB somewhere along the way
So SS, what should we have done in terms of drafting a QB? Take Gabbert at 10? Just curious.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #29
Terpfan76
Special Teams

Seemed like there was a plan in the Skins warroom this year and they stuck to it. I really don't believe they had any reaches in the truest term. I'd have like for the team to have gotten Rodney Hudson, but I'm not overly upset about that.

I really like Roy Helu to potentially be our next Portis type back although not nearly as good of a blocker, but Royster is, and should get a look as a 3rd down back.

Paul has good size/speed 4.46/6' 223lbs and is an elusive runner and an excellent punt returner. Should be a potentially solid possession receiver. Has no fear of going over the middle.

Aldrick Robinson is small, 5'9" 183lbs, but has excellent speed (4.36) and quickness. Not a great route runner but will be a heckuva vertical threat with soft hands.

Maurice Hurt could possibly be the steal of our draft. He can play either guard position and has played tackle as well. At 6'3" 320lbs, he's a little smaller than desired, but not terribly so. He may end up a year 1 starter although that would be less than ideal.

Neild is a high effort guy with good size/strength. He'll do pretty well at NT but not so much so as to be readily noticeable. He'll be a solid player that gets the job done if all goes well, otherwise, probably a decent player in a the rotation. FWIW, I really hate saying anything remotely nice about WVU players. I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire lol... Go Terps!!

Sporting News gave us a C+ but I think that has a lot to do with the fact we didn't get a qb. I'm glad we didn't, none really acquitted themselves of being elite franchise qb's and while it might be nice to have a young kid on the roster to groom as a potential back up, we can do the same looking at UDFAs. All in all, I say we get a B but possibly better if some of the late round picks work out.
Terpfan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #30
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I like the picks, but what I don't like is exactly what some have already said. To me it looks like the scouting staff may have been doing their jobs all the way until that went to Nebraska to visit one player and then got suckered into looking at 2 others. Similar to what happened back when the team explored Carlos Rogers. All of a sudden they are looking at a QB (JC) and reaching for him.

I'm not saying that are not good but there were other players on the board that were far more talented at their respected positions but for some reason the scouting seemed to have gotten lazy after visiting Nebraska and threw together a bunch of picks just to fill in gaps. As stated I would have preferred more OL in the later rounds in the hopes of replacing a few underachievers from last year.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote