F 0 0%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #31
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Re: Redskins Draft Analysis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I added up each picks value against my big board, and the only three teams that are getting A grades from me this year are the Giants, the Redskins, and...the Vikings?
WTF? I thought the Lions stole the draft taking positions of need that would start immediatley. The Vikes did well, as did the Eagles I felt.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #32
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
With regard to the O-line- one thing that does make me feel a bit better about not drafting any players before the 7th round is that this was a particularly weak draft for tackles and guards.
I'll agree with you in regards to LT's. But I think any of them would have been better RT's then what we have. I also think we could have picked up a Center who is definitely better then Rahback.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #33
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
WTF? I thought the Lions stole the draft taking positions of need that would start immediatley. The Vikes did well, as did the Eagles I felt.
The Lions follow BPA to a T.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #34
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
The Lions got perhaps the steal of the 1st round with Fairley at 13.

But as far as drafting players who will start immediately, you could argue the same with the Skins. Kerrigan, Hankerson, and quite possibly Helu and Jenkins are all potential starters. Neild could push Bryant at NT, too.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #35
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
The Lions got perhaps the steal of the 1st round with Fairley at 13.

But as far as drafting players who will start immediately, you could argue the same with the Skins. Kerrigan, Hankerson, and quite possibly Helu and Jenkins are all potential starters. Neild could push Bryant at NT, too.
Don't get me wrong I think we did very well also taking players we needed. We needed a NT they got one and quite possibly a really good one. He was a NT in college and knows his job is to take up space and help stop the run.

Kerrigan will definitley be an upgrade and will help take some of the heat off of Rak.

Jenkins will most likely command double teams if Neild does not at NT so both Rak and Kerrigan should be freed up to crush the QB.

We had a definit need for a big body WR. Now we have AA, Hankerson, and Paul.

I might have foregone one RB and taken a Center to relieve Rahback or a RT since were not sure if the person expected to play that position can stay healthy. Atleast fix the foundation LT, C, RT then work on the gaps. We filled the LT last yr so it would have been nice to see either C, or RT fixed and the other fixed in FA.

But the Lions are going to have a Killer defense now but I would also say I think they started their "rebuild" a year or two prior to us so their needs were fewer. We had needs all across the board.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #36
diehard
The Starter

I just don't see Neild as a NT, at least a good one. He's a Golston clone which isn't all bad.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #37
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
I'm glad the Jags dug themselves such a deep hole with Garrard that they felt like they had no choice but to trade up to cleanse themselves of their own mess.
David Garrard isn't a bad QB in the least. They need a few more receiver threats to be worth a damn. They finally shored up the OL the past couple years because he was getting wrecked. He's not going to be All-Pro but he's better than what most people give him credit for.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #38
Swarley
The Starter

I think we had a great draft. I'd give us a solid A. Like Smoot I'm really not concerned about our lack of OLinemen taken. We have young players that by all accounts should be improved. I doubt anyone stuck out at them in this draft. I would have liked to see a QB but I think we can still address that (if the league lets us that is). I think we did well drafting players that can help immediately or at least by next season.

btw Nbcsports game us an A- only because we didn't take a QB

NFL Draft HQ - Team Draft Picks
Old 05-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #39
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I really hope two things.... when the players were able to show up to the facility on Fri. the coaching staff was smart enough to hand Fletcher a few "Playbooks" to hand to the Rookies for them to start studying. Probably didn't happen but it would be nice.

I also hope the team takes a moment and really looks at the UDFA's and decides who should be contacted immediatly when the players are allowed back at the facility. I hope OL is looked at, CB/S, K/P, FB, and maybe other WR's.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #40
BuckSkin
Special Teams

Jamie Dukes of NFLN says that we are now in play for Luck in next year's draft. I'm beginning to dislike that guy.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #41
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
I just don't see Neild as a NT, at least a good one. He's a Golston clone which isn't all bad.
Everyone says he's a work horse, down and dirty scrumber. Which is what a NT needs to be. The concern brought up is that he's only 300lbs and most NT's are 330+. But I think I heard the announcers commenting after the draft that Pittsburg and a few other teams use smaller NT's and they are used effectively.

Remember our defense is molded after Pittsburg's 3-4 defense. So although I too would like to have seen the team pick up a big NT, I'll reserve judgement until I see how the defense does with the new players added to the team. I think it will be interesting to see how Haslett uses his new toys.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #42
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSkin View Post
Jamie Dukes of NFLN says that we are now in play for Luck in next year's draft. I'm beginning to dislike that guy.
Really? and the 49ers are not? I honestly think he chose not to come out this yr because he knew he would not be picked up by his ole ball coach. So he chose to stay in college another yr vs. getting stuck with a screwed up team, ie; Panthers, or Bills.

I'm betting the 49ers throw a ton at whoever is 1st in the draft in order to get him next yr. So I'd pretty much look at the rest of the QB's coming out and pick one of them. Not to mention Luck might not have a good yr considering the school will have a new HC and probably a new scheme.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #43
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Everyone says he's a work horse, down and dirty scrumber. Which is what a NT needs to be. The concern brought up is that he's only 300lbs and most NT's are 330+. But I think I heard the announcers commenting after the draft that Pittsburg and a few other teams use smaller NT's and they are used effectively.

Remember our defense is molded after Pittsburg's 3-4 defense. So although I too would like to have seen the team pick up a big NT, I'll reserve judgement until I see how the defense does with the new players added to the team. I think it will be interesting to see how Haslett uses his new toys.
He weighed in at 319 during the combine. The reason he might not "look" like a classic Nose tackle body comp wise is due to the fact that he's much more muscular then...well most interior D-Line prospects in general. So at worst his potential to add 10 pounds of good weight might be limited. I don't think he'll be a pro bowler, but I do feel he'll be a starter in this league.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #44
BuckSkin
Special Teams

Quote:
Really? and the 49ers are not? I honestly think he chose not to come out this yr because he knew he would not be picked up by his ole ball coach. So he chose to stay in college another yr vs. getting stuck with a screwed up team, ie; Panthers, or Bills.

I'm betting the 49ers throw a ton at whoever is 1st in the draft in order to get him next yr. So I'd pretty much look at the rest of the QB's coming out and pick one of them. Not to mention Luck might not have a good yr considering the school will have a new HC and probably a new scheme.
What I meant was Dukes is convinced the Skins will earn the first overall pick in the 2012 draft due to our recent draft.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #45
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:

The 49ers used a high 2nd round pick to draft Colin Kaepernick. Unless he totally flops as an NFL prospect in just one season, I'd be pretty stunned if they gave up a ton to get up to #1 overall.