Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

WaPo's Jason Reid rips Mike Shanahan

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
GMScud
Swearinger

WaPo's Jason Reid rips Mike Shanahan

I heard about this article on the radio on Tuesday morning on the way to work, but I didn't get around to reading it until today. Pretty scathing...

Mike Shanahan must turn things around for Redskins after troubling 2010 season - The Washington Post

Advertisements
Old 07-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: WaPo's Jason Reid rips Mike Shanahan

Yeah we talked about this a little in another thread.

My response to Reid is YAWN.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I was in the Fairfax/DC area from the mid 90s to early 2000s when there was excellent newspaper coverage and decent radio. In the last 5 years ive noticed just flat out garbage

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

I just read it myself. Pretty weak I thought. Poorly written and a number of his points just didn't make sense. It seemed almost half hearted to me- like he wanted to write a scathing article about shanahan, but halfway through, realized he had no point to make and gave up. I dont always agree with what reid says, but hes usually a better writer than this- A sign of a boring offseason I guess.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Yeah we talked about this a little in another thread.

My response to Reid is YAWN.
Missed that. Scathing article to be sure, but I agree with BHA that it was pretty poorly written. It's not too far off the mark, though. Shanahan's first season didn't show much if anything to be enthused about moving forward. This year's draft however is a different story.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
MTK
\m/

I'd say it was an attempt at being scathing, but there's just not much substance behind it.

2011 would have to be an absolute train wreck for Snyder to even consider moving on from Shanahan. I'm talking 2-3 wins kind of bad.

I think Shanahan gets a full 3 years at the very least.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I didn't really understand the point of it. Tough first year, lot of work to do to improve this team in year two. Shanahan himself could have told you that
Old 07-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #8
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I didn't really understand the point of it. Tough first year, lot of work to do to improve this team in year two. Shanahan himself could have told you that
Add in "and it made Jason Reid mad!" and you don't have to read the article.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
freddyg12
Playmaker

J. Reid never got much "insider" info when he was in that role, now as a columnist I find him to be pretty pedestrian. On wash post live he's alright, seems to have a good grasp & presents his points well, but in print he doesn't offer much insight. Like a couple of you said, this is just the result of a boring offseason.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Missed that. Scathing article to be sure, but I agree with BHA that it was pretty poorly written. It's not too far off the mark, though. Shanahan's first season didn't show much if anything to be enthused about moving forward. This year's draft however is a different story.
I guess you're right but the article was completely pointless at this juncture. Any 'journalist' who is talking about the 2011 Redskins and continues to include references to McNabb and Haynesworth is either lazy or terrible (or both). Clearly as soon as the lockout is lifted those situations will be dealt with. Continuing to refer to them, as Reid did consistently, like they have an impact going forward is just dumb.

If this article was written in January maybe it would have more credence but this is just a JLC-esque rip job for the sake of doing it. Of course the bottom feeders like Florio pick up on it and all of the sudden it's a story.

Wouldn't it be refreshing for once to read an article about how over the course of the season our roster got much younger, in the brief offseason we shed some older, no longer productive players, that we have very few guaranteed contracts and will have as much money as anyone to spend in free agency and oh yeah, we drafted 11 players! It's really easy and sadly popular to focus on the big negatives but would require actual work to write something somewhat positive.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #11
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

So his says that we need to address the McNabb situation and win more games this year?!
No $hit Buckwheat!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #12
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
He's piling on, which quite frankly is so easy a 3rd grader could do it. The Redskins have been an easy target for a decade.

Not a very insightful article, just kind of rubbing salt into an old wound. Reid should really learn to pick his punches as a journalist. If you hope to have good access to the team under this administration, it doesn't really make sense to trash Shanny at this point over last year's news.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #13
FRPLG
MVP

I liked what JLA did with the Insider and JReid basically continued it. Now that Reid is a columnist I am not very impressed. He certainly didn't replace Wilbon in terms or quality. I have a hard time understanding why so many mdeia types love to pick on Snyder getting involved and then complain about the team when he backs off.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
NLC1054
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I liked what JLA did with the Insider and JReid basically continued it. Now that Reid is a columnist I am not very impressed. He certainly didn't replace Wilbon in terms or quality. I have a hard time understanding why so many mdeia types love to pick on Snyder getting involved and then complain about the team when he backs off.
Because Dan Snyder doesn't have the charm of a Jerry Jones to be a raging douchebag who can diffuse most situation with a "aw shucks" southern drawl.
NLC1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #15
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

The Washington post insider has been straight garbage since it came out. All of the writers like to bash the team because they don't feed them info. This new guy they have is really terrible he repost past articles and barley updates. I know some of it is the lockout, but he could do something like follow different redskins players during the lockout to see what their up too. Just plain lazy.

I have never heard anything reid has ever said that is positive about the skins. He often reaches and focuses on glaring mistakes to justify his stance. WE ARE REBUILDING, COME ON MAN!