Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays The Smack Down (Redskins vs. Colts)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #31
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: Smoot Lays The Smack Down (Redskins vs. Colts)

[quote=Longtimefan;825334]
Quote:
1.) The Beckwagon-Slow your roll, Beckwagoneers. He did nothing wrong really, and he was very efficient in one half. But he played in a pretty simple offense last night against a simple defense. He didn't cleary distance himself from Rex Grossman last week. The question, of course, is does he need to?

What you saw last night will not keep many DC"s up late trying to figure out how to defend. I'm in agreement with those who want to see if Beck can deliver the ball down the field on any consistent basis, until then no team is going to fear him as a NFL QB.
Your assessment is pretty accurate and someone agrees with it:

Observation deck: Redskins-Colts - NFC East Blog - ESPN

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #32
NLC1054
Special Teams

There's a reason we didn't stretch the field last night.

The Colts play a Tampa 2 defense. The strength of that defense is defending the deep ball. Two deep safeties, one deep linebacker, and rush with the front four. The weakness in the Tampa 2 defense is short and intermediate, particularly over the middle. Which is the part of the field the Redskins attacked over and over again.

You guys don't remember the Colts game last year? The go route with Banks? The deep pass attempt to Armstrong? They're always ready to defend the deep ball. They could've tried it, but the chances of completing it wasn't much. So why take a shot deep when they're giving you the short stuff and leaving the middle of the field open for you, not to mention they're having trouble stopping the run?

I guarantee you, if the Ravens try to crowd the box to stop the short passing game, Beck will have no problem chucking one deep, provided he has the time. The weakness of the Ravens defense is still in their secondary; they bought in Bernard Pollard, but he's like Landry and has issues covering, and they'll likely be starting Jimmy Smith, who was worked on by Dwayne Bowe.

As for red zone production, if Sellers doesn't get accidentally tripped up, it's a touchdown. I think there's like, five teams who made the playoffs last year that had an even worse red zone conversion rate than we did. I saw some good red zone plays called in the regular season at the end of the year, particularly with Fred Davis. You don't want to tip your hat to that too much, though.
NLC1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #33
Meks
Pro Bowl

There's something weird about this qb "competition" ... that's all I'm gonna say.. whoever starts I hope they do well.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #34
MTK
\m/

There's no competition... it's Beck's job to lose.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #35
backrow
The Starter

[quote=SFREDSKIN;825362]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post

Your assessment is pretty accurate and someone agrees with it:

Observation deck: Redskins-Colts - NFC East Blog - ESPN
So thats how you know SS was behind that ESPN NFC East Blog!

Old 08-20-2011, 11:49 PM   #36
ethat001
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC1054 View Post
There's a reason we didn't stretch the field last night.

The Colts play a Tampa 2 defense. The strength of that defense is defending the deep ball. Two deep safeties, one deep linebacker, and rush with the front four. The weakness in the Tampa 2 defense is short and intermediate, particularly over the middle. Which is the part of the field the Redskins attacked over and over again.

Exactly, I think in an interview Beck said Kyle Shanahan told him to not go for "spectacular" plays.. So it was in their game plan.

Quote:
After the game, Beck explained how offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan cited his days as Houston’s offensive coordinator in advising him to take what the Colts defense gave him. Shanahan told Beck there was no need to try to make the spectacular play against the Colts, Beck said.

Redskins-Colts Film Review: Offense - Washington Times
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:01 AM   #37
rbanerjee23
The Starter

I think you should include finishing in the red-zone -- we're only two games into the preseason but we've completed 2 of 9 trips into the red zone for touchdowns. That has to be rectified if we're going to be competitive, this is a problem we've had for a few years now in my estimation and has to be fixed for us to become a consistent team.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:21 AM   #38
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC1054 View Post
Hankerson will be fine. Anyone who says they don't know a lot of rookie wide receivers that drop passes that get better aren't really paying attention.

It's not a lack of hands for Hank. It's concentration drops. It's always concentration drops. He only dropped one pass last night, and then caught the other passes he was targeted on. Hank makes the same mistake every other rookie wide receiver does; he looks to run before he catches the ball.

Roddy White, T.O, Brandon Lloyd, Dwayne Bowe, Braylon Edwards all had drops, and then corrected the those problems as they progressed and got older.

Let's give the rookie a little bit of time before we go worrying about it. He dropped an easy one over the middle, and then caught three more passes over the middle, and all with his hands instead of his body, and wound up being the leading receiver for the game.
I guess I wouldn't be as concerned about his drops if that wasn't a knock on him coming out of college. If he never had a problem with it before, you could chalk it up to rookie nerves. But he did have issues with it at Miami. Not saying it can't be corrected. It's just ... concerning.

Especially when you consider that we haven't drafted a wide receiver who's had any long term success with the team since Ricky Sanders.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #39
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
I guess I wouldn't be as concerned about his drops if that wasn't a knock on him coming out of college. If he never had a problem with it before, you could chalk it up to rookie nerves. But he did have issues with it at Miami. Not saying it can't be corrected. It's just ... concerning.

Especially when you consider that we haven't drafted a wide receiver who's had any long term success with the team since Ricky Sanders.
Exactly what I was going to say.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #40
That Guy
Living Legend

well, stretch plays don't work as well in the red zone, the player density is just too great... and those fast OL guys can't use their speed in space, so they tend to get pushed around since they're not as hard to move as 350lb grinders.

I think the red zone won't be a major hurdle, but we're not coming close to #1 there... it'll be a lot easier for us to be a 30yd TD type team.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #41
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

[quote=DGreene28;825301]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
After a brief hiatus, the smackdown is back.

For those of you are new here, this is a weekly (ideally) feature that takes a look at what didn't quite work in the previous game.

The idea is not to be negative, bash the team, or say the sky is falling. Just to point out what needs improvement. I'll kick it off and other can jump in.

1.) The Beckwagon-Slow your roll, Beckwagoneers. He did nothing wrong really, and he was very efficient in one half. But he played in a pretty simple offense last night against a simple defense. He didn't cleary distance himself from Rex Grossman last week. The question, of course, is does he need to?

I disagree, yes it was preseason but he managed the game and spun the ball well on the run into some tight spots. The Beckwagon is being pushed along flat ground right now by those who see an exciting QB leading the redskins on and off the field. If you don't want to get on or help push thats okay, but when it really starts rolling don't be upset if you can't catch up! HTTR!!
If the Beckwagon keeps rolling, it will be due in no small part to Kyle Shanahan who has gotten a bum rap this past year by a lot of people who think he's only in the NFL because of his last name.

And I'm only half kidding. Maybe a third kidding...if that. I'm not trying to knock Beck at all. I thought he was fine. And I realize he didn't really have to throw deep on Friday, which is why we didn't see that/if he could. And the advantage he has over Grossman is that they're neck and neck in my mind, but Grossman should probably be way ahead considering he has a lot more experience.

All I'm saying I want to see more out of Beck and over a steady period of time. But if he's the starting QB for a winning Redskins team I will be very happy. Whether I was right about a player or not doesn't matter to me so long as the team wins
Old 08-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #42
GTripp0012
Living Legend

This isn't really a thought about a player or unit that needs improvement, but here' goes:

This team, through two preseason games, does not strike me as talent deficient. It actually strikes me as talent-laden. Perhaps a team that could compete for a playoff spot if it had gone after Chad Henne or Vince Young in the offseason. I think it's lacking in *young* talent, but not talent overall. The Redskins could surprise some folks this year if Kyle keeps calling good games that benefit his quarterbacks and Mike stays the f out of the way.

Over 16 games, there are far too many issues here that will get exposed: the QB, the secondary, the offensive line, Rocky Mac, the defensive scheme, and some young players being forced into premier roles before they are ready (Kerrigan, for example). I think a team like that can start strong, but it's going to be tough to finish strong with that many real issues. But in a perfect would, a 5-3 start and an 8-8 finish isn't totally out of the question, with some early luck (similar to last year).

But I like what I've seen from Tim Hightower, Jabar Gaffney, Donte Stallworth, Terrence Austin, Brandon Banks, Anthony Armstrong, Santana Moss, Roy Helu, Evan Royster, Rex Grossman, John Beck, Fred Davis, Logan Paulsen, Darrel Young, and Kory Lichtensteiger. And you know what, that's a lot of players who know what the f they are doing (and all Shanahan acquisitions, except Davis, Young, Armstrong, and Moss!) to expect this offense to be worse than last year.

The biggest improvement to date however, (and its been just two preseason games so take it as a grain of salt) has been Kyle Shanahan. He's called two great preseason games after being a liability for us last year. Hope it continues.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #43
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Well it was Mike Shanahan who decided Young should be a FB, not LB. So I guess give him that
Old 08-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #44
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
This isn't really a thought about a player or unit that needs improvement, but here' goes:

This team, through two preseason games, does not strike me as talent deficient. It actually strikes me as talent-laden. Perhaps a team that could compete for a playoff spot if it had gone after Chad Henne or Vince Young in the offseason. I think it's lacking in *young* talent, but not talent overall. The Redskins could surprise some folks this year if Kyle keeps calling good games that benefit his quarterbacks and Mike stays the f out of the way.

Over 16 games, there are far too many issues here that will get exposed: the QB, the secondary, the offensive line, Rocky Mac, the defensive scheme, and some young players being forced into premier roles before they are ready (Kerrigan, for example). I think a team like that can start strong, but it's going to be tough to finish strong with that many real issues. But in a perfect would, a 5-3 start and an 8-8 finish isn't totally out of the question, with some early luck (similar to last year).

But I like what I've seen from Tim Hightower, Jabar Gaffney, Donte Stallworth, Terrence Austin, Brandon Banks, Anthony Armstrong, Santana Moss, Roy Helu, Evan Royster, Rex Grossman, John Beck, Fred Davis, Logan Paulsen, Darrel Young, and Kory Lichtensteiger. And you know what, that's a lot of players who know what the f they are doing (and all Shanahan acquisitions, except Davis, Young, Armstrong, and Moss!) to expect this offense to be worse than last year.

The biggest improvement to date however, (and its been just two preseason games so take it as a grain of salt) has been Kyle Shanahan. He's called two great preseason games after being a liability for us last year. Hope it continues.
You know I pretty much agree with.....young Tripp and I frequently do not. In addition I would like to add I think the coaching staff has these guys believing. They seem like pack your own lunch kind of work ethic and I REALLY like that.
And as has been stated we have added much youth, talent and improved MANY positions across the board on this team.
It is beyond my ability to understand how the Pundits.....universally as far as I know suggest this is a 4 and..team.....possibly worst in the NFL? I don't get it.
Oh well.....so much crow.....so little time

And I would like to add having so many additions and no OTA's, this team will learn on the fly fast and have an opportunity for dramatic improvement throughout the season.
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #45
NLC1054
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post

The thing about that is, his really bad drops all came in his first two years at Miami. His last two seasons, he was there most consistent---if not their ONLY consistent--weapon. Once he settled down in the offense and worked on just focusing and concentrating on catching the football, he was more than solid.

So he has corrected the problem before, and he drops were kind of overplayed, as tends to be the case. But his senior season, he didn't have a game where he caught less than three passes.

That's why I'm not worried now, because I know exactly what the problem is, and I know he fixed it once, and after dropping one on Friday he came right back and made two more catches on almost the same route.

We knew what we were getting when we drafted him. I'm more than willing to guess Keenan, Mike and Kyle knew this might happen, and they know how to solve it.
NLC1054 is offline   Reply With Quote