Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins 2014 Salary Cap Status

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
Schneed10
A Dude

Redskins 2014 Salary Cap Status

Study the numbers and uncover a potential offseason plan. That's the premise of this thread. We've had these threads for a few years running now, typically we're not too far off from what to expect. This year will be tougher to predict because A) there are new sheriffs in town with Allen and Gruden, and B) there's so much salary cap space available that the team could take a million different directions.

That said, I'm assuming Bruce Allen was being truthful when he said to expect an active free agency. And I'm assuming he'll continue to shy away from mortgaging the future.

Last Updated: 1/30/2014 at 4:30pm Eastern

Current Cap Space: $16.9M

Expected Contract Voids:
Josh Morgan: $6.8M Savings
Brandon Meriweather: $2.2M Savings
Void/Retirement - London Fletcher: $4.1M Savings
Incremental Impact of 3 Players Replacing in Top 51: ($1.5M) Hit

Expected Cap Space Following Voids: $28.5M

Expected Roster Cuts:
Tyler Polumbus: $1.5M Savings
Sav Rocca: $1.2M Savings
Incremental Impact of 2 Players Replacing in Top 51: ($1.0M) Hit

Expected Cap Space Following Cuts: $30.2M

Anticipated Resignings:
Brian Orakpo: ($7.5M) Hit
Perry Riley: ($3M) Hit
DeAngelo Hall: ($2.5M) Hit
Rob Jackson: ($1.5M) Hit
Incremental Impact of 4 Players Bumped Out of Top 51: $2.0M Savings

Expected Cap Space Following Resignings: $17.7M

Anticipated Free Agent Signings:
A Decent RT: ($4M) Hit
CB Aqib Talib: ($5M) Hit
FS Jairus Byrd: ($5M) Hit
WR Brandon Tate: ($2.0M) Hit
Any Punter, Whatever: ($0.9M) Hit
5 Other Guys at Pretty Low Sal: ($5.0M) Hit
Incremental Impact of 10 Players Bumped Out of Top 51: $5.0M Savings

Expected Cap Space Following Free Agency: $0.8M

Rookie Signings:
Anticipated Rookie Pool: ($4.0M) Hit
Incremental Impact of Players Bumped Out of Top 51: $4.0 Savings

Expected Cap Space Following Rookie Signings: $0.8M

Interestingly, the team has a lot of holes to fill and could go in a thousand different directions in free agency. I set a path here that prioritizes fixing the secondary and the RT spot. Certainly the team could try to address those needs without going after the high dollar players I've listed here.

Also, consider the possibility that the team approaches Trent Williams now to extend him. This would lock in one of the cornerstones of the team for a long time while lowering his 2014 cap number. That kind of move may not be Bruce Allen's style but the opportunity to free up space this way is very significant.

Anyway, have at it. Ask questions or chart a different free agent course. I'll track the moves here and keep this updated as much as possible.

Advertisements
Old 01-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
SkinsFanOttawa
Camp Scrub

Re: Redskins 2014 Salary Cap Status

This is excellent Schneed, thanks for posting this. Ok I will get into more detail later on what I think they should do but at first glance I agree with most of your suggestions. If we could resign those guys on D I would be very happy (especially Riley and Orakpo). Adding a top CB like Talib though for $5M I think is underselling his value. I think he'll go for more than that in the open market. If you're talking just cap hit instead of salary then yeah I can see them structuring it that he only counts for that much. Same with Byrd. I'd love to land him but I think he'll be looking for over $9M/season.

I agree with your releases but I would also think they will definitely cut Carriker or restructure his contract at the very least for a pay cut. That should free up a few Mill. I think Chester and Bowen are possibilities as well. I also hope we go for a bigger name at WR than Brandon Tate. As a surprise to most they may target WR high in the draft.

I think with what you have laid out we would then have starters at every position except for another ILB. I can see us making a run for someone like Donald Butler or Brandon Spikes to start opposite Riley. That would cost an additional how much, $2.5M? That's another position I think they'll target early in the draft. They could also resign one of the UFA's on the cheap like Bryan Kehl or Nick Barnett.

Good stuff!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
los panda
Pro Bowl

last season is dead and gone; the future is bright!

is it march 11th yet?
Old 01-30-2014, 10:24 PM   #4
Schneed10
A Dude

Yeah Talib and Byrd both will be worth a pretty penny, but cap hits typically come lower in the first season is usually lower from a cap hit angle. I think Orakpo will take 11M a season but have the cap hit at 8.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:24 PM   #5
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

The only thing I don't like about your design Schneed is I would rather go into the year with somewhere in the ballpark of 3-4 cap space remaining. I know you don't need multiple millions of cap space, just enough for inseason contingencies, but it would be nice not to get back to the Dallas and previous Skins model of buy alot, rework what you need to. I just don't think that's sustainable. (of course having 60mil like the Raiders do this year is equally ridiculous).
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:13 AM   #6
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
The only thing I don't like about your design Schneed is I would rather go into the year with somewhere in the ballpark of 3-4 cap space remaining. I know you don't need multiple millions of cap space, just enough for inseason contingencies, but it would be nice not to get back to the Dallas and previous Skins model of buy alot, rework what you need to. I just don't think that's sustainable. (of course having 60mil like the Raiders do this year is equally ridiculous).
Probably a good point and more reflective of reality.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
Schneed10
A Dude

I'll hold my numbers where they are in anticipation that the cap gets raised a little bit. It always seems to.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:47 PM   #8
SkinsFanOttawa
Camp Scrub

I have figured a way to get my spreadsheet out there by using a file drop site that doesn't require registration (the file will only be there for 7 days). If you guys are interested download it (it's in Excel) and you tinker with it and see who would be beneficial to release/resign. It's heavily based on numbers from SpotRac and I've taken CrazyCanuck's differences and used his numbers (actually there is a worksheet in there with his info).

Redskins' 2014 Cap Info

Hope it works. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes I'm just sharing info and enjoy comparing info with others. This seems like a great place to do this. Not sure why I enjoy this cap stuff so much since I'm not a bean counter by any stretch but I just enjoy it.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:56 PM   #9
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I'll hold my numbers where they are in anticipation that the cap gets raised a little bit. It always seems to.
I believe the NFLPA was trying to do another year of sliding benefit payments/other maneuvers to create more cap space.

Hopefully we don't have any other Mar 10th surprises this year to help them cover up their bad CBA.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:22 PM   #10
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFanOttawa View Post
Hope it works. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes I'm just sharing info and enjoy comparing info with others. This seems like a great place to do this. Not sure why I enjoy this cap stuff so much since I'm not a bean counter by any stretch but I just enjoy it.
I was able to download it, I'll play around with it on the weekend.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:00 AM   #11
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Expected Contract Voids:
Josh Morgan: $6.8M Savings
Brandon Meriweather: $2.2M Savings
Void/Retirement - London Fletcher: $4.1M Savings
Incremental Impact of 3 Players Replacing in Top 51: ($1.5M) Hit

Expected Cap Space Following Voids: $28.5M

Expected Roster Cuts:
Tyler Polumbus: $1.5M Savings
Sav Rocca: $1.2M Savings
Incremental Impact of 2 Players Replacing in Top 51: ($1.0M) Hit

Expected Cap Space Following Cuts: $30.2M

Anticipated Resignings:
Brian Orakpo: ($7.5M) Hit
Perry Riley: ($3M) Hit
DeAngelo Hall: ($2.5M) Hit
Rob Jackson: ($1.5M) Hit
Incremental Impact of 4 Players Bumped Out of Top 51: $2.0M Savings

Expected Cap Space Following Resignings: $17.7M

Anticipated Free Agent Signings:
A Decent RT: ($4M) Hit
CB Aqib Talib: ($5M) Hit
FS Jairus Byrd: ($5M) Hit
WR Brandon Tate: ($2.0M) Hit
Any Punter, Whatever: ($0.9M) Hit
5 Other Guys at Pretty Low Sal: ($5.0M) Hit
Incremental Impact of 10 Players Bumped Out of Top 51: $5.0M Savings

Expected Cap Space Following Free Agency: $0.8M

Rookie Signings:
Anticipated Rookie Pool: ($4.0M) Hit
Incremental Impact of Players Bumped Out of Top 51: $4.0 Savings

Expected Cap Space Following Rookie Signings: $0.8M
I doubt that Polumbus will be cut but Rocca is as good as gone. They'll probably keep Polumbus as a backup, at least. I would think that Carriker, Bowen, and Golston might be cut. That would free up over $6MM in cap space.

I don't think that Rob Jackson is a given as a re-signing, but there may be a couple of other re-signings.

I like your list of possible FA signings. Signing both Byrd and Talib may be a dream but they would be my first choices at their positions. Like you, I think we need to sign proven players at FS and CB.

We're probably going to cut a boatload of players who are paid in the $400K to $700K range, maybe as many as 10-15. That would save $4.5MM - $7.5MM, enough to replace them with inexpensive FA's and drafted players.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #12
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I doubt that Polumbus will be cut but Rocca is as good as gone. They'll probably keep Polumbus as a backup, at least. I would think that Carriker, Bowen, and Golston might be cut. That would free up over $6MM in cap space.

I don't think that Rob Jackson is a given as a re-signing, but there may be a couple of other re-signings.

I like your list of possible FA signings. Signing both Byrd and Talib may be a dream but they would be my first choices at their positions. Like you, I think we need to sign proven players at FS and CB.

We're probably going to cut a boatload of players who are paid in the $400K to $700K range, maybe as many as 10-15. That would save $4.5MM - $7.5MM, enough to replace them with inexpensive FA's and drafted players.
Carrier Bowen AND Golston? Who would you have starting on the line? That'd be quite a revamp, they'd have to sign replacements. I bet you are right on at least one of them but all three sounds like leaving the line too thin.

With Jackson I feel like he will look around and test the market and find no takers, and Bruce will sign him late in the FA process on the cheap. All it takes though is one team, like Lorenzo Alexander.

On the vet minimum guys, remember that if you sign one like that, he bumps someone out of the top 51, so the net cap hit is pretty much negligible. You can sign almost all the guys in the world at vet min with very little cap hit. I agree, they will prob pick up plenty like this, I bet many are Bengals second teamers. I didn't bother to list this because there's practically no net impact on the cap.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #13
81forHOF
Impact Rookie

Thanks for posting this. This site is always my go to source for Washington salary cap questions. Great job.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #14
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

I wouldn't mind seeing Carlos Rogers in a skins uniform if the 9ers cut him, he doesn't have a problem with the current regime.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #15
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Carrier Bowen AND Golston? Who would you have starting on the line? That'd be quite a revamp, they'd have to sign replacements. I bet you are right on at least one of them but all three sounds like leaving the line too thin.
I like Adam Carriker in our 3-4 but I think it's just not worth the injury risk to pay Carriker and take a $3.240MM cap hit in the process.

Stephen Bowen has been a disappointment because he hasn't been able to push the pocket, as he was expected to do when he was signed. I wouln't take a $1.980MM cap hit for him if we could do better at that position.

Kedrick Golston seems to be a quality teammate but he is an average 3-4 DT. He's not a bad player at all but, now that he's 30 years old, it might be a better alternative to look for a younger FA player who can do what he does but who has more speed and more potential to get better. That player would probably cost less, as well. I think that Golston would be easy to replace, so why not save some of the $880K of cap space he takes up?

Now, what would I do to replace these players?

We would still have Jarvis Jenkins who could start and who I think should have more upside in his second season after having knee surgery. Chris Baker can backup at DT, if needed, but I see him as the primary backup to Coefield at NT.

I would add two FA DT's and a drafted player to the mix.

The first FA would be a proven starter who can push the pocket and improve our pass rush, as well as stop the run. I like either Randy Starks or Michael Johnson in that role.

The second FA would replace Golston and is described above. But I wouldn't mind too much if they decided to keep Golston instead.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote