Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Training Camp 2018

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Who is your eye on in Training Camp (can select multiple)
Alex Smith 15 39.47%
Darrius Guice 23 60.53%
Jordan Reed 10 26.32%
Da'Ron Payne 10 26.32%
Other 5 13.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2018, 10:44 PM   #481
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Re: Training Camp 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrefutable View Post
FYI..... Tyler Catalina had surgery, he is out for the season. They need to trade for a 2nd team OL.....a late pick for someone who will be cut
If they are gonna be cut, why would they trade for him?

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-30-2018, 10:51 PM   #482
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
If they are gonna be cut, why would they trade for him?
Because there are several other teams that have an opportunity to claim the player before the Redskins
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:55 PM   #483
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrefutable View Post
Because there are several other teams that have an opportunity to claim the player before the Redskins
Seems pointless to trade for someone

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:29 AM   #484
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Seems pointless to trade for someone
I'd take giving a 6th or 7th 2020 pick for the insurance of having a decent back up on the interior of our line.

Envoyé de mon SM-J320FN en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2018, 07:53 AM   #485
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
I'd take giving a 6th or 7th 2020 pick for the insurance of having a decent back up on the interior of our line.

Envoyé de mon SM-J320FN en utilisant Tapatalk
Me, too. The Skins have enough talent to win this season so they need to do whatever they can, within reason, to plug any holes. I trust Doug Williams to make the right moves Also, I think Jay Gruden's job may be on the line this season, so Doug Williams and Bruce Allen will want to give him a fair chance to achieve the goals the Big Boss has set for his team.

BTW, it may not even cost as much as you suggest. They might be able to just swap picks to avoid losing a player they want to a waiver claim.
KI Skins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:04 AM   #486
MTK
\m/

Catalina probably wasn't making the team anyway
Old 08-31-2018, 08:28 AM   #487
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

The strategy of developing udfa has interior Oline depth has been a failure.

Time to go find a legitimate Guard before Luavo gets injured.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:04 AM   #488
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
The strategy of developing udfa has interior Oline depth has been a failure.

Time to go find a legitimate Guard before Luavo gets injured.
You are spot on.
We really needed bring in a LG with our 3rd round pick.
Christian could turn into a great player down the road but I have a feeling we might need a solid LG by week 8.

Gruden is constantly trying to turn chicken shit into chicken salad and it's not working out.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:21 AM   #489
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
You are spot on.
We really needed bring in a LG with our 3rd round pick.
Christian could turn into a great player down the road but I have a feeling we might need a solid LG by week 8.

Gruden is constantly trying to turn chicken shit into chicken salad and it's not working out.
Agree. It's a little frustrating because we've currently got $14.5M in cap space this year.

I understand we're leaving room for carry over to accommodate resigning some of our important guys, but still.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:34 AM   #490
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Agree. It's a little frustrating because we've currently got $14.5M in cap space this year.

I understand we're leaving room for carry over to accommodate resigning some of our important guys, but still.
I'm surprised by your frustation, Given the injury bug last year and so many players returning from injury, I think you leave extra to cover the possibility of some sizeable IR related additions, and then as you mentioned the need to sign guys next year.

We could have used the money I am sure, but this FO has tended to be very disciplined in leaving a portion of the cap available.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:58 AM   #491
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I'm surprised by your frustation, Given the injury bug last year and so many players returning from injury, I think you leave extra to cover the possibility of some sizeable IR related additions, and then as you mentioned the need to sign guys next year.

We could have used the money I am sure, but this FO has tended to be very disciplined in leaving a portion of the cap available.
I'd contend that too much is left available.

Point 1 - signing free agents off the street once Week 1 has passed results in nothing but vet minimum guys being available. It's not like you're going to find a G right now on the street who is worth $2.0M. So you go into the year with $14.5M in cap space, and you start experiencing injuries, and you start signing available players to replace them at the market rate: vet minimum. Let's call that $700K on average.

$14.5M divided by $700K is 20 players. And that's if you signed them ALL on Week 1. Reality is your injuries will happen throughout the season, meaning on average the replacement guys you sign will spend an average of 8 weeks on the team, not 16 weeks. So prorate the $700K salary down to a $350K salary. That's 40 players you could sign. I don't care how bad your injury situation gets, you don't need $14.5M set aside for injuries. You could have easily spent $2.0M to get a decent swing G back in free agency, and still have $12.5M leftover.

Further, when you look at available cap space by team, the Skins have the 11th most available. 7 of those teams have just flat mismanaged their cap and are just carrying way too much space either because they're small market or aren't attracting talent: Browns 61M, Colts 51M, 49ers 43M, Texans 32M, Titans 29M, Bears 24M, Jets 21M.

So our 14.5M in space isn't quite that bad, but I wouldn't want to compare myself to those organizations for the most part. The better organizations have less space (Patriots $10M, Eagles $5M, Packers $11M, Chiefs $9.7M, Falcons $9M, Vikings $8M, Steelers $3M).

You want to leave space to cover replacements for injuries, sure. But when you have a major need to back up Lauvao with a capable player, I think you're delinquent to leave $14.5M unused. I wouldn't want to be the Steelers with only $3M to play with, but other high performing organizations don't feel the need to carry as much as $14.5M.

Use your resources. Stop trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. They're either too shell shocked over their injury situation from a year ago, or Bruce is being a chintz.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:23 PM   #492
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Luavo will 100% be hurt by week 4. They're just trying to survive and get by at LG. When he goes down Trent could move over to LG and Ty LT. That would give us the best 5 guys. Jacoby did it and did it very well.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:34 PM   #493
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Luavo will 100% be hurt by week 4. They're just trying to survive and get by at LG. When he goes down Trent could move over to LG and Ty LT. That would give us the best 5 guys. Jacoby did it and did it very well.
Ty would prob go inside, they said he's worked there before.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:51 PM   #494
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

Point 1 - signing free agents off the street once Week 1 has passed results in nothing but vet minimum guys being available. It's not like you're going to find a G right now on the street who is worth $2.0M. So you go into the year with $14.5M in cap space, and you start experiencing injuries, and you start signing available players to replace them at the market rate: vet minimum. Let's call that $700K on average.

$14.5M divided by $700K is 20 players. And that's if you signed them ALL on Week 1. Reality is your injuries will happen throughout the season, meaning on average the replacement guys you sign will spend an average of 8 weeks on the team, not 16 weeks. So prorate the $700K salary down to a $350K salary. That's 40 players you could sign. I don't care how bad your injury situation gets, you don't need $14.5M set aside for injuries. You could have easily spent $2.0M to get a decent swing G back in free agency, and still have $12.5M leftover.

Further, when you look at available cap space by team, the Skins have the 11th most available. 7 of those teams have just flat mismanaged their cap and are just carrying way too much space either because they're small market or aren't attracting talent: Browns 61M, Colts 51M, 49ers 43M, Texans 32M, Titans 29M, Bears 24M, Jets 21M.

So our 14.5M in space isn't quite that bad, but I wouldn't want to compare myself to those organizations for the most part. The better organizations have less space (Patriots $10M, Eagles $5M, Packers $11M, Chiefs $9.7M, Falcons $9M, Vikings $8M, Steelers $3M).

You want to leave space to cover replacements for injuries, sure. But when you have a major need to back up Lauvao with a capable player, I think you're delinquent to leave $14.5M unused. I wouldn't want to be the Steelers with only $3M to play with, but other high performing organizations don't feel the need to carry as much as $14.5M.

Use your resources. Stop trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. They're either too shell shocked over their injury situation from a year ago, or Bruce is being a chintz.
Thanks for the breakdown, I knew IR added, but wasn't really sure how much total. I tend to think it's a combination of shell shock and trying to disprove the bigspender moniker by being a chintz.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:10 PM   #495
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:

Are the Packers numbers after the Rodgers deal?
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote