Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Board Management > Thread Hell

Marcus Mason signed by the Jets off Ravens practice squad

Thread Hell

Old 10-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #16
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Re: Marcus Mason signed by the Jets off Ravens practice squad

I've said so many different ways I'll say it again....you can't judge a player by his preseason play only. I know it goes both ways. Some say he would not do well up against 1st stringers. There was a lot of things going on during preseason. They kept using different linemen to see which was the best group to pair up. The linemen were not opening the holes for Portis or Betts either.
Some say Mason led the NFL in rushing yrds during preseason. There's no denying that but some say he did it against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

I would like to believe it lies somewhere in between. The perfect way to judge Mason would have been to get Portis in a game where he's running all over the place and then stick in Mason and see the difference. I can only hope the coach's would be evaluating a player based off of his talent and talent ability vs his preseason play only.

In my little mind I like to think Mason has the talent and ability but simply didn't have the chance to show it outside of preseason. The Skins had more needs at other positions that they felt was more important then to keep 4 RB's. Who knows if the Skins didn't contact Mason and ask him if he would like to come back and he said no. We might never know. There's more to it then simply pulling someone from someones practice squad.

We also can't judge the TTB (Tip-Toe Burgler, SA) on 2 games only. He knows the plays but does not know the run blocking or pass blocking schemes on every play. He has not taken a hit for over 6 months. The TTB is no pound the ground RB he's more of a finess RB that will juke a defensemen out of his shoes. It will take time for him to get up to speed but like has been said in other threads we needed someone to step in right away and contribute while Betts was out not some one who needs time to learn the game and learn to take a hit again and was hired based on a deteriorating past performance. Oh and 'cause he was a MVP. (ooooh, aaaaaah)

Advertisements
Old 10-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #17
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
I will bet anything that if he gets the chance to play he will shine. he might be just what the Jets need because their running game isn't producing and he might be a good switch up to spell Thomas Jones for a couple of carries (I bet he will do better than tip-toe burglar - 2.1 yards per carry)..stay tuned..lol
Not quite sure what you mean by the Jets running game not producing. They're averaging 115 yds/game, which is the middle of the pack in the NFL (15th overall). Thomas Jones is averaging 4.4 yards/carry. Leon Washington is holding is own as well, 5.7 yards/carry. While Jones and Washington are no superstars, they have both helped the Jets get to 4-3, despite Favre's best efforts of giving the ball away (11 INTs, 2 Lost fumbles).

Marcus Mason will be nothing more to the Jets than a warm body in case something happens to Jones or Washington, just as Jesse Chatman was filling that role before he was put on IR.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
Old 10-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #18
skinsnut
Playmaker

The only advantage this kid had over a FA for the Skins was playbook knowledge.
It is interesting to speculate if he would have done better than SA the last 2 weeks...its hard to do worse, but, we will never know.

I think the one that got away that could have helped us this year was WR McMullen.
I think the Skins would have considered bringing him back if they need to put Kelly on IR after the bye.

At least these guys aren't likely to do more than backup...I really dont think we let anyone of substance get away
Old 10-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #19
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Not quite sure what you mean by the Jets running game not producing. They're averaging 115 yds/game, which is the middle of the pack in the NFL (15th overall). Thomas Jones is averaging 4.4 yards/carry. Leon Washington is holding is own as well, 5.7 yards/carry. While Jones and Washington are no superstars, they have both helped the Jets get to 4-3, despite Favre's best efforts of giving the ball away (11 INTs, 2 Lost fumbles).

Marcus Mason will be nothing more to the Jets than a warm body in case something happens to Jones or Washington, just as Jesse Chatman was filling that role before he was put on IR.
Touche (first paragraph). I stand corrected. But he still can contribute if given a chance. A little above the middle of the pack in rushing is decent.

I agree with SBXVII. My sentiments exactly. Its not like he came in to be the second back because we didn't have one. He came in to fill in for BEtts until he comes back. We didn't have time for him to get in game shape. Besides mason being in game shape and practicing since the offseason with our team would have made him more appropraite and with less hype than a MVP that players weren't familiar with and was on the streets. He knew the plays to and if he was the 3rd or 4th back he woul dhave learned more. But I totally agree with you SBXVII. What esle would you want a guy to do in preseason. He did better than backs that were picked in the draft and were highly touted. So what is that saying. Skill is skill. If not he would have not did anything in preseason.

I wish him good luck with the Jets and hopefully he will get some burn. I hope he suceeds.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company

Last edited by dmvskinzfan08; 10-30-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:17 AM   #20
Bushead
Impact Rookie

I've never seen so many people get excited about a back that ran for yards against 3rd or 4th stringers.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:31 PM   #21
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

I never seen so many people get excited about a former MVP that is old and washed up.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
Old 10-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #22
Monkeydad
Living Legend

OH NO! Our future has been destroyed!

Yawn from me also.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #23
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
I never seen so many people get excited about a former MVP that is old and washed up.
You mean the “Tiptoe Burglar.”
You hit him hard and runs like a girl. Not the kind of runningback you want to have. There is a reason he was not on a roster.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #24
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Quote:
I don't think anyone is really excited about SA. I think most of us here just thought it was a solid move.

I didn't know Marcus Mason had already done enough to prove that he was better than SA. He might be more talented, but he hasn't DONE ANYTHING AT THIS LEVEL!!!! Sorry, I'm not trying to yell. I just don't get all the hype on a guy that hasn't really done anything except run well against 3rd and 4th stringers in the preseason.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #25
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins_P View Post
I don't think anyone is really excited about SA. I think most of us here just thought it was a solid move.

I didn't know Marcus Mason had already done enough to prove that he was better than SA. He might be more talented, but he hasn't DONE ANYTHING AT THIS LEVEL!!!! Sorry, I'm not trying to yell. I just don't get all the hype on a guy that hasn't really done anything except run well against 3rd and 4th stringers in the preseason.
And at the vet min, who cares? It's a good gamble.

He's only holding the spot until Betts is back anyway, which should be after the bye.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #26
Jake2008
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins_P View Post

There are many players that haven't done anything at this level (we have 2 receivers and a TE for example), but if you believe they have the talent then they are worth the risk. If the assumption is that SA is just here until Betts gets back, then why not bring in someone young that could be a diamond in the rough? We know what we will probably get with SA and it is not that exciting. I would rather take a chance on someone that has something to prove and the drive knowing he is trying to make it in this league.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #27
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake2008 View Post
There are many players that haven't done anything at this level (we have 2 receivers and a TE for example), but if you believe they have the talent then they are worth the risk. If the assumption is that SA is just here until Betts gets back, then why not bring in someone young that could be a diamond in the rough? We know what we will probably get with SA and it is not that exciting. I would rather take a chance on someone that has something to prove and the drive knowing he is trying to make it in this league.
I'm with you Jake. Why bring in a guy that you know is washed up. I don't care how much you pay him. I'd rather see a hungry, hard running player that has something to prove, that will fight for every yard, than some broke down back. It's not that I'm so excited about Mason, I just think he is a better option than a has been BUM.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #28
SBXVII
Franchise Player

[quote=Redskins_P;495675]I don't think anyone is really excited about SA. I think most of us here just thought it was a solid move.

I didn't know Marcus Mason had already done enough to prove that he was better than SA. He might be more talented, but he hasn't DONE ANYTHING AT THIS LEVEL!!!! Sorry, I'm not trying to yell. I just don't get all the hype on a guy that hasn't really done anything except run well against 3rd and 4th stringers in the preseason.[/quote

Again with the 2nd/3rd stringers. Yawn.

Mason has not done anything in this league. My only complaint is that if you are evaluating him from this yrs preseason you must be nuts. Portis and Betts could not get yardage with the 1st stringers. Rock could not do anything either with the 1st stringers or 2nd/3rd stringers. The OL was having a terrible time with the run blocking openning holes. So please stop with the 2nd/3rd stringers. If we are evaluating like some of you I would have to cut Portis, Betts and Rock.

Now if you all know something I didn't see like say after week one Mason was put in and didn't run a yard then you guys can't say he would suck either.

You now your right. We know what we are getting in SA. That's exactly why some of us were not happy with the signing. Some of us would rather have a young RB to be groomed for the future for when our 3 RB's that are the same age and came out of the same draft get washed up and need replaced. Instead the team lets the only young RB we have go and replaces him with a RB who is 1 or 2 yrs older then the ones we have. Not to mention his abilities are on the decline. Tell me you guys actually thought you were getting the MVP SA. Convince me that you all really thought you were getting the MVP running back. One who would come in here and tear up the field as Betts replacement.

Never mind please don't try.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #29
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

LOL, I don't get it. When did anyone here say that we expected SA to come in here and tear it up? They signed SA because he knows the offense and is very familiar with most of our offensive coaching staff. I NEVER expected SA to come in here and play at an MVP level, and for anyone who did, they must be smoking some serious $hit! You can't expect him to come in here and tear it up after he'd been out of the league for almost 2 years.

The front office and coaching staff decided to go with a veteran instead of young undrafted player who hadn't done anything at this level.

I don't know what you expect me to say? SA is only here because Betts is injured. Not because we badly needed him and not because we think he's better than Betts. He was signed at veteran MINIMUM for 1 year. You guys make it sound like we broke the bank for this guy and expected him to be a MVP. We already have an MVP in Portis!
Old 10-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #30
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

It's nepotism in a NFL, not related sort of way.

While Mason is the younger guy with more upside, Alexander is the 4 week security blanket which whom both Stump and Zorn have known and coached his entire career. Mason has more potential for the future, but Alexander has more potential for the right this minute, which is what the coaching staff is looking for.

Granted, Alexander hasn't done much....I won't argue with that. However, I do believe Alexander's impact could be reach further than Mason's during this stretch without Ladell. I also think too that the Skins were excited about the potential a tandem like Portis and Alexander could very well be, if Alexander returns to MVP form. Not saying he will, but the case is there...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris