Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Derrius Guice’s ACL tear is latest example of the injury bug devouring the Redskins. Again. And again.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-13-2018, 08:48 PM   #31
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Derrius Guice’s ACL tear is latest example of the injury bug devouring the Redskins. Again. And again.

Yeah the repair of the ACL will have him coming back with a stronger knee ligament than he ever had in the first place. And these days guys recover from them quite well, with rarely any lingering problems. His muscle structure around his leg is good, it’s not like RG3 who had two flamingo legs, he’ll be fine.

Advertisements
Old 08-13-2018, 09:13 PM   #32
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Re: Derrius Guice’s ACL tear is latest example of the injury bug devouring the Redskins. Again. And again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsGuru View Post
They spent millions of dollars trying to fix that by building new facilities, getting new training staff, etc. . . . what is the answer?
Knee ligaments are one of those things that can go any time regardless of prep.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #33
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
They knew that Reed was often hurt in college when the drafted him. Perhaps they should have drafted somebody else in that spot. I'm talking here about a team policy designed to reduce the number of games lost to injuries and not specifically about Reed.
Well that is then another discussion about management. My point was a lot of this is just terrible luck. Allen with a foot fracture last year, just some unlucky shit.

It seems like Gruden has made the practices more physical this camp, from what we've heard.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:24 PM   #34
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
A healthy Reed will go a long way too. So far he’s been looking great in camp.
We all know once real game action starts, and Reed starts getting tackled and hit, he's going to get hurt. It's only a matter of time with that guy. The coaches know it and that is why he's basically handled like the QB's are in practice. Reed should really at this point just play on obvious passing downs.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:41 AM   #35
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Not my job to find that answer. They need to do that.
I agree, and I'd put an "s" to "answer".

There are plenty of ways to try to reduce the amount of injuries.

I remember last year, Jay was asked about the injury bug decimating his team, and if the staff was trying to do something about it, and he dismissed the question, laughing like if it was obviously un-relevant, saying "don't worry, our players drink a lot of water".

Well, maybe in 2018 we can have access to better body science than just drinking a lot of water.

Did you guys look at the first episode of Hard Knocks?
You can see Jarvis Landry having a weird looking work out where he's standing on one leg on a moving tray, throwing and catching a heavy medicine ball.
Both the tray and the ball are tools used by physiotherapists to improve proprioception.
Basically it's another way to train your muscles, in a way that they don't need to be activated consciously, but react instinctively and quicker instead.

I just checked, Jarvis Landry never missed a game due to injury.

And then you think about TB12's success with his personal trainer.

Can you get injuries out of football? Of course not.

My point simply is, yes there are plenty of solutions that needs to be looked at (nutrition, innovating workouts, warm ups, field condition etc...).

Not saying our staff is not looking at these solutions, but the amount of injuries year after year suggest maybe more needs to be done.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #36
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

i read and article on brett favre once . . . it said that MRI's revealed he had much thicker ligaments than most human beings . . . and that is why his legs could take the punishment that other players legs could not . . . so maybe we need to do and MRI on every player that the skins are interested in signing, and only sign them if they have super ligaments . . . LOL . . . or maybe we should just make players, at least in the pre-season wear knee and ankle and back braces 100% of the time to help keep players healthy . . . OR . . . LOL . . . freak incidents like what happened to Guice will always happen . . . its the game . . . there is not much we can do to ward that off . . . not really!! GEESH . . . or maybe we need to hire a seasoned witch doctor!!
SkinsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #37
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
Knee ligaments are one of those things that can go any time regardless of prep.

exactly . . . you can't predict them, nor avoid them really . . . they happen to every team . . . usually at the rate of like 30 per preseason (or something like that)
Old 08-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #38
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
I agree, and I'd put an "s" to "answer".

There are plenty of ways to try to reduce the amount of injuries.

I remember last year, Jay was asked about the injury bug decimating his team, and if the staff was trying to do something about it, and he dismissed the question, laughing like if it was obviously un-relevant, saying "don't worry, our players drink a lot of water".

Well, maybe in 2018 we can have access to better body science than just drinking a lot of water.

Did you guys look at the first episode of Hard Knocks?
You can see Jarvis Landry having a weird looking work out where he's standing on one leg on a moving tray, throwing and catching a heavy medicine ball.
Both the tray and the ball are tools used by physiotherapists to improve proprioception.
Basically it's another way to train your muscles, in a way that they don't need to be activated consciously, but react instinctively and quicker instead.

I just checked, Jarvis Landry never missed a game due to injury.

And then you think about TB12's success with his personal trainer.

Can you get injuries out of football? Of course not.

My point simply is, yes there are plenty of solutions that needs to be looked at (nutrition, innovating workouts, warm ups, field condition etc...).

Not saying our staff is not looking at these solutions, but the amount of injuries year after year suggest maybe more needs to be done.
they just built a state of the art treatment, prevention and recovery center . . . the science is there . . . luck, for whatever reason has not been
Old 08-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #39
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Knee braces for lineman and running backs in preseason games 1 and 4 doesnt seem like an overly awful idea. I remember RG3 wearing it for a while but i dont remember if it was in preseason games.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #40
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Knee braces for lineman and running backs in preseason games 1 and 4 doesnt seem like an overly awful idea. I remember RG3 wearing it for a while but i dont remember if it was in preseason games.
Yea. In college, there are a lot of schools where lineman wear them.

I am really not knowledgeable enough though to have an opinion.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #41
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

4 preseason games is bullshit, typical money grab for the league. They should be reduced to 2.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #42
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
lol . . . i was joking . . . knee braces slow both straight ahead speed and lateral movement . . . QB's would be getting blown up real easy if all of the o-lineman had knee braces on . . . we would never be able to evaluate RB's properly as they would all look slow . . . would be a joke.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #43
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Thats why i said preseason 1 and 4. Those games are for getting back into games and final 53 evaluations.

Like i said, i remember RG3 wearing them, I think they have several types that could allow some game play and evaluation.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #44
MTK
\m/

People talk about the pussification of football with the rule changes, but damn the fans are just as guilty if not more with wanting to put players in bubble wrap in camp and preseason games lol

It’s football, it’s a rough game equivalent to going through a car crash on a weekly basis. Watching games sometimes I’m amazed there aren’t actually more injuries

Injuries are an unfortunate part of the game, but let’s not rip the league for trying to make it safer while also complaining when players get hurt. Would it have been any better if Guice got hurt in week 1 of the regular season? It sucks either way
Old 08-14-2018, 01:21 PM   #45
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

It's not all bad luck. You can't finish five of the last six seasons with more key injuries than two-thirds of the other teams and just chalk it up to bad luck. Also, the injury trend is getting worse for the Skins.

Personally, I think the Skins take too many risks in the draft by reaching for talented players with troubling injury histories which sets them up to lose more key contributors to injuries than most other teams lose.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote