ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #31
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpfan76 View Post
I'd rather trade down and take Locker than reach on any of these other guys. In fact, the best case would be if he were to fall to the second round and be able to snatch him there while still trading down in the first.
Personally I think that if we trade down we should take Christian Ponder, not Locker. Ponder has excellent intelligence, accuracy, mobility, and intangibles. While his arm is not the strongest, he makes up for it by being a creative leader.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #32
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Personally I think that if we trade down we should take Christian Ponder, not Locker. Ponder has excellent intelligence, accuracy, mobility, and intangibles. While his arm is not the strongest, he makes up for it by being a creative leader.
I heart you
Old 01-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #33
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

LOVE trading down.........
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #34
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
LOVE trading down.........
I agree. I think that if you take one of these QB's at 10 you are not getting the value you should be getting at that pick, you are simply reaching for a need no matter the talent level. I have been adamant in my dislike for Locker. I think he has the potential to be a big bust. I think Cam Newton is an even higher risk.

If we were a smart drafting team, which we obviously haven't been in the past but hopefully are moving in the right direction, we will try our best to trade down. I think with as many holes in this team as we have we need as many picks as possible. If a trade down is not possible, you take a defensive talent like Von Miller, as I also have been saying, to compliment Orakpo, and draft a QB like Ponder or Dalton in a later round.

Not that I am an expert but I think Ponder and Dalton could very well be best tooled for what Shanny is looking for. I could live with Locker in the later rounds, however I wouldn't be pleased. I would be very upset if we took Cam Newton. He has extremely limited experience at a high level. Yes he is a flashy play maker, but I don't think that wins championships. We don't have time for another big project. I know some people say, yeah well he was in JUCO playing, but there is a reason JUCO kids play there and not for a D-I school.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #35
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Scout take on Cam: “the structure of that offense made him look more accurate than he is. It’s all play-action based, throwing to wide open receivers, with bubble screens that pad his numbers." classic spread-bust pick + character issues? Pass

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #36
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I heart you
Aw, shucks.

I've read about and watched game videos of a bunch of draftable QB's. Ponder is the one who seems to me most likely to be a solid starter. Not only that, I think he will be ready to play as early as any other QB in this class. What he doesn't have can be remedied in the film or weight rooms, whereas other QB's in this class seem to have drawbacks which are more difficult to fix.

I say use the #10 pick on a defensive beast (like Von Miller or Cameron Jordan) or trade down to still grab a defensive beast later in the first round. Then draft Ponder in a later round.
We won more with Vinny
Old 01-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #37
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Aw, shucks.

I've read about and watched game videos of a bunch of draftable QB's. Ponder is the one who seems to me most likely to be a solid starter. Not only that, I think he will be ready to play as early as any other QB in this class. What he doesn't have can be remedied in the film or weight rooms, whereas other QB's in this class seem to have drawbacks which are more difficult to fix.

I say use the #10 pick on a defensive beast (like Von Miller or Cameron Jordan) or trade down to still grab a defensive beast later in the first round. Then draft Ponder in a later round.

Well like I've mentioned before, I watched him live in person and he looked RIDICULOUSLY BAD here in Norman.. Made bad decisions under pressure and very avg arm strength, yea you need smarts but sometimes that just isn't enough in the Pros.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #38
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Well like I've mentioned before, I watched him live in person and he looked RIDICULOUSLY BAD here in Norman.. Made bad decisions under pressure and very avg arm strength, yea you need smarts but sometimes that just isn't enough in the Pros.
I agree, he did look bad that game. Probably the worst of his college career. But that is just one game. Even Manning and Brady look bad sometimes.

My argument is not that he will be a Pro Bowler or is a can't-miss. Rather, IMO he is the best prospect for our offense in a lackluster QB class.
We won more with Vinny
Old 01-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #39
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Ponder battled a painful elbow injury for much of the year. He doesn't have a cannon, but his arm strength is underrated
Old 01-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #40
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Scout take on Cam: “the structure of that offense made him look more accurate than he is. It’s all play-action based, throwing to wide open receivers, with bubble screens that pad his numbers." classic spread-bust pick + character issues? Pass

I think this about covers it.

Words that make you cringe when talking about drafting QBs in the first round.

"potential"
"high ceiling"
"upside"

.lol.....stay away from that shit, stick with guys that are polished and have done it several years at college.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #41
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Aw, shucks.

Copy cat. lol

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
Old 01-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #42
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
Copy cat. lol
How am I a copy cat? I know SS mentioned Ponder before but I have since done my own "independent" research and come to a similar "independent" conclusion. Or did you say something that I missed?

Here's my mock draft right now, which I could not have copy catted:
1 Von Miller OLB Texas A&M
2 Christian Ponder QB Florida State
5 Ryan van Bergen DE Michigan
5 Phil Taylor NT Baylor
6 Clint Boling OG Georgia
7 Graig Cooper RB Miami
7 Johnny Brown S Mississippi
We won more with Vinny
Old 01-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #43
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
How am I a copy cat? I know SS mentioned Ponder before but I have since done my own "independent" research and come to a similar "independent" conclusion. Or did you say something that I missed?

5 Phil Taylor NT Baylor
7 Graig Cooper RB Miami
Ponder will be available as late as the 4th round. If he's lucky he'll go in the third. I mean look at it this way. Someone like Locker or Mallet (possibly both) is going to fall to the second round. From there Ponder will have to compete with that Devlin, Dalton, Stanzi group and hope to emerge as the top guy in that second or third tier despite his elbow problems.

Colt McCoy last year had much more going for him then Ponder yet he fell to the beginning of the third round. As you all remember McCoy was deadly accurate, experienced, and mobile with decent arm strength. And on top of that he was not only a leader, but a leader that was at the forefront of a national championship run.

Ponder has some of those attributes. He's accurate when healthy, he's mobile, he's a great leader, and he has a good arm on top of 3 years worth of starting experience. However he also comes from a program that couldn't even get to the BCS despite being in the ACC (McCoy did it twice). And ironically I'm not even saying that I don't want Ponder, in fact I actually wouldn't be to disappointed if we got the kid. However I wouldn't draft him before the third round at this point. Plus the funny thing is that as weak as the ACC has been in recent years, they're still the best conference these days when it comes to producing QB's (Vick, Ryan, Rivers, Schuab).

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #44
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:

5 Phil Taylor NT Baylor
7 Graig Cooper RB Miami
I was just saying that because I had just said take Von Miller at 10 and Ponder or Dalton later in the draft a few posts earlier. I know you have your own independent conclusions. I wasn't trying to be rude, just joking.

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
Old 01-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #45
Shadowbyte
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
If it was that easy how come Auburns last QB couldn't do it? Or if it was so easy, how come teams with more talented players didn't switch to the Auburn offense and get these easy receptions and wide open recievers?
Shadowbyte is offline   Reply With Quote