Around the NFL 2022: Post Draft Edition

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-02-2022, 10:57 AM   #1
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Around the NFL 2022: Post Draft Edition

Honey Badger expected to sign with the Saints

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-with-saints/

Also, are Cleveland and the 49ers stuck with their former QB1s?
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-02-2022, 11:32 AM   #2
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: Around the NFL 2022: Post Draft Edition

Thought the Saints were in cap hell?

I think Mayfield will be picked up in the near future, probably around camp time and almost certainly if there's an injury to a #1. Jimmy G is going to have to show he's clear of injury, but he might be OK staying as the #2 if nobody comes calling.

There are teams with unproven/tier 2 starting QB's that could be willing to offer teh Browns something. Or teams will wait (probably in both cases) until they are cut.

'Unset' at QB or need solid QB2:
Atlanta - Mariota is an unknown and the only experienced QB, but Ridder could be thrown in the deep end.
Carolina - unlikely as they may be to just drop Darnold, is Corral ready to go this year? Maybe swap Darnold and Jimmy G? Carolina gets an upgrade unless/until Corral is ready and 49ers get a backup with starting experience happy for a change of scenery.
Chicago - unlikely but who's backup to Fields if he struggles/gets injured? Siemian?
Detroit - didn't draft a QB and we all know Goff isn't a fixture.
NY G - Jones option wasn't picked up so he's in a prove it year. If he looks poor in camp, could they pull the trigger on a trade? They didn't draft a QB and they've stocked up in the draft...
Philly - unlikely but they don't exactly have a premium QB room.
Seattle - wouldn't surprise me at all if they made a move for Mayfield. Do they really think their guy is already in the room? Mayfield would fit their O and it might be a redemption story for him.
Tampa - TB12 is #1 for now, but I'd say its highly likely he makes it his last season. Someone like Jimmy G being ready to take over after a year as backup wouldn't be a total surprise, given there's no obvious successor on the roster.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:40 AM   #3
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Thought the Saints were in cap hell?

I think Mayfield will be picked up in the near future, probably around camp time and almost certainly if there's an injury to a #1. Jimmy G is going to have to show he's clear of injury, but he might be OK staying as the #2 if nobody comes calling.

There are teams with unproven/tier 2 starting QB's that could be willing to offer teh Browns something. Or teams will wait (probably in both cases) until they are cut.

'Unset' at QB or need solid QB2:
Atlanta - Mariota is an unknown and the only experienced QB, but Ridder could be thrown in the deep end.
Carolina - unlikely as they may be to just drop Darnold, is Corral ready to go this year? Maybe swap Darnold and Jimmy G? Carolina gets an upgrade unless/until Corral is ready and 49ers get a backup with starting experience happy for a change of scenery.
Chicago - unlikely but who's backup to Fields if he struggles/gets injured? Siemian?
Detroit - didn't draft a QB and we all know Goff isn't a fixture.
NY G - Jones option wasn't picked up so he's in a prove it year. If he looks poor in camp, could they pull the trigger on a trade? They didn't draft a QB and they've stocked up in the draft...
Philly - unlikely but they don't exactly have a premium QB room.
Seattle - wouldn't surprise me at all if they made a move for Mayfield. Do they really think their guy is already in the room? Mayfield would fit their O and it might be a redemption story for him.
Tampa - TB12 is #1 for now, but I'd say its highly likely he makes it his last season. Someone like Jimmy G being ready to take over after a year as backup wouldn't be a total surprise, given there's no obvious successor on the roster.
Good list. But, if I'm any of those teams, I'm waiting to see if the Browns release Baker. Although, I guess Watson has a ridiculously low cap this upcoming year expecting some type of suspension. So the Browns may not have an incentive to move from Baker.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:50 AM   #4
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Looking to see who gets possibly cut at Corner and Linebacker around the league. Could use some depth at both

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:51 AM   #5
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Good list. But, if I'm any of those teams, I'm waiting to see if the Browns release Baker. Although, I guess Watson has a ridiculously low cap this upcoming year expecting some type of suspension. So the Browns may not have an incentive to move from Baker.
Agreed, but OTOH, both have some trade value, so I'd be surprised if they're not keeping the feelers out. Can't imagine the Browns QB room will be fun with Watson and Mayfield both in there!
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 12:34 PM   #6
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

We signed Tre Walker as post draft FA LB out of Idaho, looks promising. https://thetouchdown.co.uk/2022-nfl-...rt-tre-walker/

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:42 PM   #7
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Also, are Cleveland and the 49ers stuck with their former QB1s?
No one is willing to pay full price for a guy about to get cut.

Indy fleeced this stupid ass team.
They got dumb ass Snyder to not only pickup all of wentzs contract but they also sent picks!

I bet SF and CL are kicking themselves for not getting Snyder on the phone right away.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:04 AM   #8
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post

They got dumb ass Snyder to not only pickup all of wentzs contract but they also sent picks!

I bet SF and CL are kicking themselves for not getting Snyder on the phone right away.
he gets cut and then the team needs to compete to sign him. Washington is not considered a good team, so odds of landing him probably would not be good (see all the other QBs that turned this team down over the last two years).
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:57 AM   #9
rocnrik
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post

So what was the team supposed to do??
As it turned out we got a QB in draft that some thought would go First or second round ( we waited and snagged Howell in 5th )
Without Wentz we were looking at Taylor as starter .. nobody wants that
We were never gonna get a top guy( Watson,Rogers,Stafford, Wilson etc)
We would have not got Wentz without trading something ..
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:03 AM   #10
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
So what was the team supposed to do??
As it turned out we got a QB in draft that some thought would go First or second round ( we waited and snagged Howell in 5th )
Without Wentz we were looking at Taylor as starter .. nobody wants that
We were never gonna get a top guy( Watson,Rogers,Stafford, Wilson etc)
We would have not got Wentz without trading something ..
Agreed. And I don't think the compensation was crazy. I do think they should've negotiated for Indy to take part of Wentz' cap hit, but they couldn't not afford to not be sure to have an upgrade at QB.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:22 AM   #11
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

It's hard to believe people complaining about what we gave up to get Wentz after seeing what some teams ae giving up for wide receivers.

Wentz was (is) a bargain. Low risk - High reward move. Top it off with snagging a potential QB of the future in the draft... The QB room is leaps and bounds better than it was last year.
Chief X_Phackter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:37 AM   #12
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Mayfield may be flat out released. Crazy to think that cause I feel he is a NFL starter. No way does he got back there Clev. SF will probably end up keeping Jimmy G.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:54 AM   #13
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
he gets cut and then the team needs to compete to sign him. Washington is not considered a good team, so odds of landing him probably would not be good (see all the other QBs that turned this team down over the last two years).
I counter with how starting jobs are out there…
You think Garappolo or Mayfield want to be backups on contenders?
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:28 AM   #14
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Mayfield may be flat out released. Crazy to think that cause I feel he is a NFL starter. No way does he got back there Clev. SF will probably end up keeping Jimmy G.
You know if Baker is so great someone would make a move for him

Jimmy G is trash with a throwing shoulder injury…this woulda the Snyder/Bruce move 5 years ago. Thank god we didn’t do this!

He Gets Us
Old 05-03-2022, 09:33 AM   #15
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
It's hard to believe people complaining about what we gave up to get Wentz after seeing what some teams ae giving up for wide receivers.

Wentz was (is) a bargain. Low risk - High reward move. Top it off with snagging a potential QB of the future in the draft... The QB room is leaps and bounds better than it was last year.
I agree.

And dammit…I’m a little excited about Sam Howell. He’s a solid mid round QB prospect with a big arm. You know if Wentz falls flat (which I don’t believe he will), we now have a guy who can learn the system for the year while polishing up lacking skills with coaching..and be given a shot down the road.

Wentz, Howell, Henike > Fitz, Henike, Allen

He Gets Us