Ron Rivera

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-26-2022, 09:18 AM   #16
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Re: Ron Rivera

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Rivera the GM absolutely failed Rivera the HC. And he isn't a good HC, so he needed all the help he could get.
That is probably where I have the biggest issue. He shouldn't be GN.

Advertisements
Old 09-26-2022, 09:22 AM   #17
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
That is probably where I have the biggest issue. He shouldn't be GN.
He should absolutely not be both. But I think that's always true. That is 2 separate jobs that should be done by 2 separate people.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:27 AM   #18
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
LOL, I'm not excusing their losing... I'm just not putting it on that play.

It is easy to criticize a play like that sitting on your couch. Timeouts are valuable, and you don't just throw the challenge flag every time you think a pass might be incomplete. He was like a second late, after Philly hurried up to snap the ball. Sometimes the Head coaches don't get the communication fast enough to know that the flag should be thrown. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

Yes, that was a very impactful play - may have even been a turning point. But that isn't why they lost the game. They lost the game because the offensive line got man-handled, and no adjustments were made to account for that until it was too late.

Eagles hurried up because they knew. So they were able to see the replay and run a play but Ron wasn’t able to throw a flag?
It was 0-0 at that point so timeout schmimeout.

Anyway no there is nobody to replace him now. We will suffer through another year. After which I really hope we give some coordinator a shot. Maybe Bieniemy? Idk. But a change is necessary.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:43 AM   #19
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Rivera the GM absolutely failed Rivera the HC. And he isn't a good HC, so he needed all the help he could get.

100 percent. Well said SD.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:09 AM   #20
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

I have no clue if canning him now, or in a 3 or 4 weeks, is a good option or not. But I have lost all faith I had in him.
I was the first to say how blatantly stupid it was to not address the LB position and CB depth... But even with that, this roster is too talented to be playing as bad as it is.
That's coaching. That's scheme. That's play calling. That's preparation. And yes, that is leadership (or lack of) and getting the guys to buy into (or don't) what they doing, believe (or don't) in this team's way of doing things, and getting fired up (or not giving a single F) about going to war together for this coach.

I don't really care wether it's now, in 3 weeks, or at the end of the season, cuz I don't have a better solution, I think this is a lost season already, but I will have a hard time withstanding another year of RR.

Year 3 was supposed to show improvement and we're regressing in every phase of the game.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:30 AM   #21
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
...he got this team on track when he got here after the Bruce Allen years.....and he has done as much as he can do....and maybe it's time for someone else to come in and pick up where Ron left off.....I've gotten to this point with Ron.
What you said here is nearly exactly how I fell about Ron. He's had so very much to overcome here that just being able to separate the football side from the rest of this toxic and inept organization has been a meaningful contribution to the team. That much needs to continue and be built upon by whomever leads the football side in the future.

Like you, I think Ron has done as much as he can because he and his coordinators clearly can't keep up with the modern brand of NFL football. So, to move forward from here, we need a coach who can thrive in the 21st Century NFL football environment.

The greatest inhibitor to this happening is, as we all know, the person at the top of this organization. I think that he is more likely to tear down what Ron has done rather than to hire a person who can move the work forward from this point.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:41 AM   #22
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I was a huge fan of this hire and I kept giving him excuses but now it's time for him to go.

1. The team is not getting better in the W/L Column where it matters most.
2. He's never energetic, all he does is stand there all game with no emotions.
3. He's supposed to be a defensive coach and he's NEVER had a good defense here.
4. He says the same shit every week "well we are growing and learning" LMAO Learning how to suck.
5. He has done NOTHING to help the holes our defense has had over the last few years especially at LB a position he played!!

The whole staff is garbage and the fact that the social media team celebrates a catch from Terry when losing 24-0 speaks volumes about where this team is.

I'm over these clowns and franchise. I legit don't care anymore and I'd be 100% done if it wasn't for this forum.
1. Cant argue with that. Only comment is that it was a good coaching job to get this Taylor Heinike, injured roster team to 7-10 last year. Sitting at 2-6, we won 4 straight and showed some fight and leadership.

2. Energy and emotion - Post game, the man delivers. Hes a leader of men. hes not going to be emotional on the sideline during a game.

3. He relies too much on JDR and that may ultimately be his down bringing .. too loyal to his generals

4. He does coach speak, for the most part .. idk

5. LB = wasnt much out there but Blake martinez should have been brought in. QB = hes tried for stafford, Wilson but no big name wants to come here, so we get the choice of wentz/jimmy g/mayfield types. Damaged goods QBs for a damaged goods franchise.

-------------------------

it is what it is ... we need to tank for a QB
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:49 AM   #23
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Eagles hurried up because they knew. So they were able to see the replay and run a play but Ron wasn’t able to throw a flag?
It was 0-0 at that point so timeout schmimeout.

Anyway no there is nobody to replace him now. We will suffer through another year. After which I really hope we give some coordinator a shot. Maybe Bieniemy? Idk. But a change is necessary.
They knew? I'm not buying that. Teams hurry up all the time when it's a big play and it's close - just in case. Sometimes a challenge is warranted, and sometimes it's not. Hurts knew it was close and wanted to hurry up before a flag could be thrown, and RR was one second too late - I'll give you that.

Look, I'm not saying that a challenge flag shouldn't have been thrown, but honestly the defense was playing fine up to that point, and even after that play they only gave up 3 points. I'm just not a fan of just throwing the flag if you aren't sure it's warranted.

Anyway, not throwing the challenge flag one second earlier is like the last thing I'm concerned about after watching that game.

If you want a turning point, look at Carson's fumble on their own 23 yard line - followed by Philly's first TD.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:57 AM   #24
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Anyway, not throwing the challenge flag one second earlier is like the last thing I'm concerned about after watching that game.

If you want a turning point, look at Carson's fumble on their own 23 yard line - followed by Philly's first TD.
But in terms of Ron and what Ron actually does during games ... Scott is play calling, JDR is sending out the same nickel package every down ... Ron is responsible for TOs, deciding to go for it for 2 or on 4th down ... and throwing the challenge flag.

Zero reason for Ron to slow walk onto the field, watching Eagles doing a hurry up and take his time gentlemenly tossing the flag. Im sure he'll say he was waiting to hear from his replay team in his ear whether to challenge or not but its on Ron. Make an executive decision everyone on their couch saw in live time.

Im a Ron defender, I think he has done a lot more good than bad with his time here and the things hes done "off the field" have been huge in terms of making us close to a competent complete organization (scouts/infrastructure/having an HR, execs etc)

BUT not throwing that challenge flag and going for 2 a second time last week ... is inexcusable.

Unforced error.

Coaches cant make bone head unforced errors that effects what happens on the field.
Old 09-26-2022, 11:10 AM   #25
Coff
Impact Rookie

We're in the proverbial position of holding a tiger by the tail. Rivera's performance has been less than satisfactory, but firing him would be a grave mistake. He may not be considered a good coach, but he's a respected individual around the league. As pathetic as this organization is, Rivera's tenure has coincided with a particularly tumultuous series of events brought on by the owner. Rivera handled it with class and dignity, and much of this while he was going through cancer treatment. Firing him now or at the end of the season would go over like a lead balloon around the league. We're not going to win with this coaching staff in place, but the fallout from his firing would be too great a price to pay. Screwed if we do, screwed if we don't.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:13 AM   #26
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
We're in the proverbial position of holding a tiger by the tail. Rivera's performance has been less than satisfactory, but firing him would be a grave mistake. He may not be considered a good coach, but he's a respected individual around the league. As pathetic as this organization is, Rivera's tenure has coincided with a particularly tumultuous series of events brought on by the owner. Rivera handled it with class and dignity, and much of this while he was going through cancer treatment. Firing him now or at the end of the season would go over like a lead balloon around the league. We're not going to win with this coaching staff in place, but the fallout from his firing would be too great a price to pay. Screwed if we do, screwed if we don't.
I'd rather have the league not like us for it, and have a chance to actually win games. Then continue to suck so we don't hurt some feelings outside of the team.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:16 AM   #27
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
But in terms of Ron and what Ron actually does during games ... Scott is play calling, JDR is sending out the same nickel package every down ... Ron is responsible for TOs, deciding to go for it for 2 or on 4th down ... and throwing the challenge flag.

Zero reason for Ron to slow walk onto the field, watching Eagles doing a hurry up and take his time gentlemenly tossing the flag. Im sure he'll say he was waiting to hear from his replay team in his ear whether to challenge or not but its on Ron. Make an executive decision everyone on their couch saw in live time.

Im a Ron defender, I think he has done a lot more good than bad with his time here and the things hes done "off the field" have been huge in terms of making us close to a competent complete organization (scouts/infrastructure/having an HR, execs etc)

BUT not throwing that challenge flag and going for 2 a second time last week ... is inexcusable.

Unforced error.

Coaches cant make bone head unforced errors that effects what happens on the field.
I'm not going to argue with any of that. My original point was simply that not throwing the challenge flag a second earlier wasn't the reason they got boat raced yesterday.

Me personally, putting myself in his shoes, I'm not throwing the challenge flag there unless I know for sure I'm winning it. Sounds like plenty of people (especially with the benefit of sitting on their couch and seeing the instant replay) would have thrown it immediately, timeout be damned. I'm just not one of them.
Old 09-26-2022, 11:17 AM   #28
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Nicely written
Old 09-26-2022, 11:41 AM   #29
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
All of that is so true.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:01 PM   #30
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I don't think there would be any fallout from his firing whatsoever or any price to be paid. A coach getting fired is routine business in the NFL. Just another day at the office. Some people say NFL coaches are hired to be fired.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote