Sam howell takes Down Dallas postgame

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-08-2023, 10:33 PM   #61
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: Sam howell takes Down Dallas postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Really? Daniel Jones took alot longer than one game to look as good as Howell did. Im with you SF. Not sure what else the guy could have done with what he had to work with today. We should be absolutely elated about his performance. His ceiling is waaaay higher than a short Daniel Jones.

Give him time to throw and an OC who actually belongs in the NFL and he is going to be way better than you think.
Maybe we should ask Sonny Jurgensen what he thought of Howell? I bet he was fucking proud!!

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-08-2023, 10:34 PM   #62
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Re: Sam Howell takes Down Dallas postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Undermanned, undercoached, underkicked and underbelieved, yet my man Sam Howell comes in, he had his rookie moments but overall showed he is our QB moving forward.

Loved and expected what I saw from him and yes I expected him to win this game.Howell was handcuffed by Turner and I guarantee he would have gone off.

Do you guys believe now?

John Ridgeway had a great game till her got hurt
Percy Butler
Khaleke Hudson
Fuller

There is ZERO chance I would go into next season with Howell as my only option at QB on the roster

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:35 PM   #63
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I hope so but odds are against him. Nobody drafted after 5th has gone on to be a quality starter over the last two decades so I’d prefer to think of my self as pragmatic. Also calling him a short Daniel Jones isn’t negative, If he could give us Daniel Jones production I could live with that and we can build a team around it, but I need to see more before I think he is a starter. I thought 19 passes and run heavy is the way you set him up for success (very similar to Jones).

Loved arm strength, he had an good touch on the ball, and his tucking and running but a few under thrown balls and few others into double and triple coverage, hope that is just first game jitters and not his game IQ.
He threw 2 balls that were pass interference and weren't called, he went on the 5th because of his height and not talent. To me, he was the best QB of the draft.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 01-08-2023, 10:38 PM   #64
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
There is ZERO chance I would go into next season with Howell as my only option at QB on the roster

Better than going in with Wentz and Taylor and they got us 7 wins. Howell is better than either guy. If he played for the last few weeks our season isn’t over.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:42 PM   #65
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Better than going in with Wentz and Taylor and they got us 7 wins. Howell is better than either guy. If he played for the last few weeks our season isn’t over.
All the doubters were saying Wentz was going to turn it around. He sure did, sent us home.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 01-08-2023, 10:45 PM   #66
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I hope so but odds are against him. Nobody drafted after 5th has gone on to be a quality starter over the last two decades so I’d prefer to think of my self as pragmatic. Also calling him a short Daniel Jones isn’t negative, If he could give us Daniel Jones production I could live with that and we can build a team around it, but I need to see more before I think he is a starter. I thought 19 passes and run heavy is the way you set him up for success (very similar to Jones).

Loved arm strength, he had an good touch on the ball, and his tucking and running but a few under thrown balls and few others into double and triple coverage, hope that is just first game jitters and not his game IQ.

Howell wasn’t drafted after the fifth. He was the very first pick of the fifth. 144 overall. Not exactly Mr Irrelevant. Prescott was drafted 9 spots ahead of Howell.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:49 PM   #67
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Howell needs some good competition. Hopefully it’s a younger guy tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2023, 12:48 AM   #68
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Nice way to end the season.

Howell played pretty good for the most part, but I think we should seriously pump the brakes on crowning him the week 1 starter. He engineered exactly three drives over 50 yards, and one of those ended with an interception into triple coverage in the end zone.

He did what I hoped he would do though - he showed that he belongs and that the game isn't too fast for him, he didn't get hurt, and he beat Dallas. I do hope he's the guy, but I still think you bring in a Veteran QB and he competes for the job. Can't just hand it to him after one nice team win.

The Dallas offense looked pretty bad (182 yards on 66 plays), but that had a lot to do with our D. They really played well tonight despite missing some key guys - J Allen, Curl, St-Juste, J Davis.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 02:14 AM   #69
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Dallas looked like shit and I loved every second of it.

Howell showed enough for us to use our ressources on other needs (OL, LB, CB depth), not every team has a Mahomes or Josh Allen, he showed his floor is at least being an average starter IMO, let's move forward with that.

Defense played well, another big play by Danny Johnson, Chase Young played well.

Didn't have my eyes on him all game but when I watched him Chris Paul faired well. Saw him pick up a stunt with ease, he could be quality depth IMO.

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2023, 03:57 AM   #70
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Right now you have to put Howell in as #1 going into camp. That doesn't mean week1 starter unless he earns it. He offers what TH offers but with an arm. Maybe more. But he definitely offers more than Wentz. Give him the chance to lead the team and build around him.

Totally agree on a) a vet to compete/back up and b) draft another QB where he's BPA. If nothing else you want a #3 even just stashed on the PS just in case. We need to rebuild the OL and LB lineup and bolster the secondary as priority. Without a high level pick/draft capital, reaching for a QB now is stupid. Stick him behind a porous OL and it's easily a wasted pick. Howell looked like he can play with what we had out there yesterday, give him a chance to play with better and see what he can do. IMHO at worst you have a better quality starter than CW or TH until you find your guy. Even RR must be able to see that.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 05:42 AM   #71
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Really? Daniel Jones took alot longer than one game to look as good as Howell did. Im with you SF. Not sure what else the guy could have done with what he had to work with today. We should be absolutely elated about his performance. His ceiling is waaaay higher than a short Daniel Jones.

Give him time to throw and an OC who actually belongs in the NFL and he is going to be way better than you think.
You forget Jones first game in Tampa or his second game against Washington in 2019! I like your new QB and I hope he doesn't have to go through the BS Jones went threw in his first 4 seasons.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:36 AM   #72
That Guy
Living Legend

howell did make some mistakes and the tape on him was limited, so crowning him off one game is a little much (like the people screaming we were going to finish 4-0 to end the season).

He does seem like the best option on the roster, but our other options aren't the greatest. He wasn't asked to sling it for 400 yards today. He did more good than bad and did make a real contribution to the win.

If turner goes (tbd, but not the worst idea), then it's a new offense and a question as to if/how far that sets him back. Also, the o-line, still garbage, please fix.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 07:47 AM   #73
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Right now you have to put Howell in as #1 going into camp. That doesn't mean week1 starter unless he earns it. He offers what TH offers but with an arm. Maybe more. But he definitely offers more than Wentz. Give him the chance to lead the team and build around him.

Totally agree on a) a vet to compete/back up and b) draft another QB where he's BPA. If nothing else you want a #3 even just stashed on the PS just in case. We need to rebuild the OL and LB lineup and bolster the secondary as priority. Without a high level pick/draft capital, reaching for a QB now is stupid. Stick him behind a porous OL and it's easily a wasted pick. Howell looked like he can play with what we had out there yesterday, give him a chance to play with better and see what he can do. IMHO at worst you have a better quality starter than CW or TH until you find your guy. Even RR must be able to see that.

Spot. On.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:55 AM   #74
EdmundDorf
The Starter

With Howell it is not just the arm, his ball placement is light years ahead of Heinicke and Wentz, that allowed Terry and Jahan to run after the catch, also contributed to a couple of the drops as they were getting a little to eager to head upfield knowing the ball was going to arrive when it was supposed to. Directly contributed to Terrys touchdown. Still cant fathom how you start a rookie QB to "take a look" in a meaningless game and only have him pass the ball 19 times. A couple of PI should also be added to the evaluation of his completion/yardage stats
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:10 AM   #75
mredskins
Gamebreaker

It was one game, he looked good but some of you guys my god did a girl look at you in high school in passing and you daydreamed the rest of the day about your wedding day with her.

QB is still very much a red alert area of need for this franchise.