Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Coaching and Front Office Changes

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-22-2020, 04:10 PM   #406
Warthog
The Starter

Re: Coaching and Front Office Changes

Ok, there were stories of FA coming to the Redskins (under Jay Gruden) and being shocked at how “soft” the practice were.
I don’t think that it’s a stretch to take Gruden’s “ player friendly” attitude to being applied to the practices.

The Patriots run hills after EVERY normal practice. This is why they do better as the season goes on -they have stamina. I submit that’s why they don’t have the level of injuries that seemed to continually plague the Redskins. Also, after the Patriots finish practice ( before they run hills) they gather together to hear from the coach, versus the Redskins approach where players just drift back to their lockers. This evidence of the “Patriot’s Way”, was shown when the Patriots practiced with the Redskins, a few years ago.

I think you will see a lower number of injuries with the Redskins, as the management doesn’t recruit players with injury histories and they work the players harder in practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-22-2020, 05:59 PM   #407
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
To his credit, OC is probably his best spot.
People really seem to miss the forest for the trees here. He was a bad HC, however even the worst HC's still get repeated opportunities to coach as a coordinator or position coach. The NFL is a good ol' boys club, there will always be someone else there willing to give a bad coach an opportunity to rebound.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:52 PM   #408
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
People really seem to miss the forest for the trees here. He was a bad HC, however even the worst HC's still get repeated opportunities to coach as a coordinator or position coach. The NFL is a good ol' boys club, there will always be someone else there willing to give a bad coach an opportunity to rebound.

Exactly. It is almost like teams are too lazy to go look for someone new so they just recycle old pieces. Also of course like you said - always an old friend somewhere willing to keep you employed.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:44 AM   #409
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Exactly. It is almost like teams are too lazy to go look for someone new so they just recycle old pieces. Also of course like you said - always an old friend somewhere willing to keep you employed.

Yeah, it’s an old boy system but that’s also because people making the decisions are looking for pedigree and prior coaches they worked with. The trouble if you make a huge leap of faith, say like when Snyder hired a QB coach (Zorn) to be the HEAD COACH, it often can turn out terribly wrong.

Gruden was a good OC , but then he really wasn’t ready for HC, especially when the person making the personnel decisions was a total idiot (Bruce Allen). Gruden has a good pedigree with prior HC he worked with, a good run as OC with the Bengals, but he was anchored DOWN by Allen’s personnel mistakes AND he never really nailed down a very good DC.

Flyboy.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:21 AM   #410
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Yeah, it’s an old boy system but that’s also because people making the decisions are looking for pedigree and prior coaches they worked with. The trouble if you make a huge leap of faith, say like when Snyder hired a QB coach (Zorn) to be the HEAD COACH, it often can turn out terribly wrong.

Gruden was a good OC , but then he really wasn’t ready for HC, especially when the person making the personnel decisions was a total idiot (Bruce Allen). Gruden has a good pedigree with prior HC he worked with, a good run as OC with the Bengals, but he was anchored DOWN by Allen’s personnel mistakes AND he never really nailed down a very good DC.

His OC run with the Bengals was not that great. But his last name was.
And Zorn wasn’t an unknown commodity. He was a player coach in the league for 100 years. Gruden was a mediocre OC and an awful HC and there are literally hundreds of people out there who are better than him. But they aren’t part of the old boys network.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #411
Warthog
The Starter

Zorn had been a QB coach for many years. That means he was never considered good enough to move up, as many better coaches do over time. He was locked into a limited role as a minor coach.

He came to interview with Snyder and Cerrato for the HC job and got it because he gave a very good presentation. He did poorly a a HC and was over whelmed. After 2 years he was fired and then went back to being a lowly QB coach again.

The lesson is this: If other teams don’t think a coach can move up and don’t trust him to progress, it was stupid of Snyder to think he knew better.

Flyboy.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:51 PM   #412
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Zorn had been a QB coach for many years. That means he was never considered good enough to move up, as many better coaches do over time. He was locked into a limited role as a minor coach.

He came to interview with Snyder and Cerrato for the HC job and got it because he gave a very good presentation. He did poorly a a HC and was over whelmed. After 2 years he was fired and then went back to being a lowly QB coach again.

The lesson is this: If other teams don’t think a coach can move up and don’t trust him to progress, it was stupid of Snyder to think he knew better.

I thought Zorn was bought in as OC and than when nobody wanted the job he sort of fell into the HC position? Could be wrong about some or all of that. Anyway we can both agree Snyder is an absolute idiot. Lol
Old 01-23-2020, 02:58 PM   #413
rickmmrr
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I thought Zorn was bought in as OC and than when nobody wanted the job he sort of fell into the HC position? Could be wrong about some or all of that. Anyway we can both agree Snyder is an absolute idiot. Lol
I think that's exactly what happened. Synder was hiring all the coaches before he even had a HC. It was ass backwards.
rickmmrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:24 PM   #414
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmmrr View Post
I think that's exactly what happened. Synder was hiring all the coaches before he even had a HC. It was ass backwards.

I think Zorn interviewed for OC, but gave a powerful enough presentation to Snyder/ Carrara that they eventually moved him up to HC. Also, I don’t think Snyder was getting elite HC applicants due to Cerrato being the GM and Snyder’s micromanagement and bumbling interventions.

BL- just because you can give a great PowerPoint presentation, doesn’t mean to know how to lead a NFL franchise.

Flyboy.