Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Haskins Threat 2.0

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Your opinion on Haskins heading into next season?
Promising, he looks like he could be a player 43 72.88%
Still on the fence 15 25.42%
He's a bust 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #31
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: The Haskins Threat 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
As Shneed said, last 2 games we went up against poor secondaries and his first read was open. Thats not a bad thing, its a good thing that he can take what is given but I do want to see how he responds when the NFL has film on him and is taking a week to prepare for him. What doe she do when read 1 is covered? What does he do when D shows read 1 will be open but then like a DE drops back into zone unexpectedly right into the area he wanted to put the ball?

I was happy to see he was able to take a 3 step drop and get the ball out on time and accurate. That first half against the Giants, he was releasing the ball before the WR broke and that is a big indicator to me. He doesnt need to see the guy win at the top of his route stem before throwing it, he can trust his read and WR to win the battle and be at the spot he should be at.

I cant say whether he will be a star, a starter or a dud until after at least 16 games or so. I need to see how he plays when things arent easy for him. I need to see if he can adjust to the leagues adjustment to him bc right now, the league hasnt adjusted to him. They havent game planned for him. But they will next year.

Decent game against the Eagles and a good half against the Giants doesnt tell me a lot honestly.
The problem is that is all you have to grade him on for next year. Either you make the decision he is your starting quarterback going forward or he isn't.

I've seen enough improvement from his last two starts compared to his first two starts to say yes, I am comfortable building around him for the next 3-5 years.

Advertisements
Old 12-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #32
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
The problem is that is all you have to grade him on for next year. Either you make the decision he is your starting quarterback going forward or he isn't.

I've seen enough improvement from his last two starts compared to his first two starts to say yes, I am comfortable building around him for the next 3-5 years.
He was drafted 15th overall, that automatically gets him 3 years.

You dont have to make a decision at the end of year 1 (now) to decide whether to build around a QB taken in the 1st R because you already answered Yes when you took him 15th overall.

IMO we wont be at a decision point with Haskins for 2 more years.

Fans declaring hes a bust and we must pull a Josh Rosen after 2 emergency games are just as knee jerk as fans being convinced hes a legit franchise QB after 1.5 decent to good games against the Eagles and Giants. Eagles he forced some dangerous throws into tight coverage that could have easily been deflected up in the air vs caught and he seemed to benefit from every 50/50 ball. Giants game .. that was like playing our secondary, pretty easy but he made some very nice reads and throws.

Whether you like Haskins or hate him, hes our starting QB for the next 2 seasons. There is no decision to be made about him right now imo. 2 years from now, we will have to decide to resign him or move on.

I like Haskins. I was very encouraged about that 1st half vs the giants but I must temper that it was against the Giants and theres not a book out on him yet.

I am real curious to see how he does in year 2, when the league has film and game plans for him and he hopefully has a full season of playing time.

if you love him or hate him, youre going to see him for the next 2 seasons under center, regardless of how great or poor he plays.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #33
SunnySide
Playmaker

Here’s a recent take from Kevin O’Connell on the improvements in these aspects of Haskins’ development as an NFL quarterback:

I don’t have to give him the play three or four times in his headset before he’s got it. I can now say it once and there’s still seven or eight seconds left on the play clock before the headset cuts out and I can say, ‘Hey, remember two-deep or pressure here, we’re throwing this.’ I can give him coaching points, which allows him to click right into the play and he starts to be like, ‘If I can know the play call, that’s the easy part. Now I can understand breaking the huddle,’ – we’ve been out of the huddle in some cases on third down before 20 seconds on the play clock, which is really, really good for us.

The other thing that he’s done a really good job with is his cadence. At Ohio State, I don’t know if he was using a lot of double counts and hard counts and dummy counts and things, trying to get the defense to unlock their disguise. I don’t know if he was doing things at the line of scrimmage with motions and shifts to try to give him information that allows him to know exactly where to set his feet and eyes and be aggressive.

He’s really starting to understand how that plays into the pre-snap success we talk a lot about leading into the post-snap success. It might be really small things that people watching the game might not notice, but every single time he does it I get really, really fired up about it because I know where that’s building for him and what’s to come for him.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/12/26...kins-qb-period

Lengthy well written article on Haskins development and a ton of comments from KOC.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #34
Ohioskins
Special Teams

I watched Haskins develop here in Columbus for his year at OSU. He is smart, he does catch on quickly. But Urban Meyer does not have a track record for developing pro quarterbacks. Meyer really runs college oriented schemes. So it will take Haskins some time to really grasp the way a pro offense is run. But he is very smart, and he is rather humble, plus he has a lightening bolt on the end of his arm. With patience and the proper grooming, he can be an exceptional QB.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:23 PM   #35
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioskins View Post
I watched Haskins develop here in Columbus for his year at OSU. He is smart, he does catch on quickly. But Urban Meyer does not have a track record for developing pro quarterbacks. Meyer really runs college oriented schemes. So it will take Haskins some time to really grasp the way a pro offense is run. But he is very smart, and he is rather humble, plus he has a lightening bolt on the end of his arm. With patience and the proper grooming, he can be an exceptional QB.
Agree on the smarts, kid knows how to read a defense pre snap very well and he caught on his last 3 games! Give him some time and he'll be good to go
Old 01-09-2020, 02:44 PM   #36
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
I was listening to some radio talking head but he was more scout oriented, in some way conected to player development in the nfl ..

He liked everything about Haskins but had 2 knocks on him:

Instincts. He said Haskins is football intelligent but doesnt have the instincts the great QBs do. I think I see that, sometimes he holds onto the ball to long looking perhaps to comfortable in the pocket. I try not to judge to much on subjective opinion type analysis but I think you can see that while he is football smart he doesnt have that instinct. However you define "instinct", I dont know.

Inconsistent accuracy. He can be pinpoint accurate on one throw then just miss on another. He said this is something that coaching cant really fix which surprised me bc I think w mechanics and coaching that should be a thing you could improve over time.

Foot work .. goes without saying. Said this is something can be corrected and coached.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:30 AM   #37
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
I was listening to some radio talking head but he was more scout oriented, in some way conected to player development in the nfl ..

Instincts. He said Haskins is football intelligent but doesnt have the instincts the great QBs do. I think I see that, sometimes he holds onto the ball to long looking perhaps to comfortable in the pocket. I try not to judge to much on subjective opinion type analysis but I think you can see that while he is football smart he doesnt have that instinct. However you define "instinct", I dont know.

Inconsistent accuracy. He can be pinpoint accurate on one throw then just miss on another. He said this is something that coaching cant really fix which surprised me bc I think w mechanics and coaching that should be a thing you could improve over time.

Foot work .. goes without saying. Said this is something can be corrected and coached.
I think he gets better at all the things mentioned if he just stays out on the field and plays.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:14 AM   #38
Ohioskins
Special Teams

His footwork was an issue at OSU. He does need to work on that.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:15 AM   #39
Ohioskins
Special Teams

The footwork, and also the inconsistency, issues comes from him sometimes having too much confidence in the strength of his arm.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:57 AM   #40
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:

Thanks good stuff. I am hopeful that he is someone who has a really, really, high ceiling. I think I see his potential in some of his play but, not being a person who judges that sh** for a living, it could just be wishful thinking.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #41
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

The system imo is important for Haskins...if Scott Turner brings his dads offense or a variation of it, I think its a good fit for Haskins.

He Gets Us
Old 01-10-2020, 10:10 AM   #42
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
The footwork, and also the inconsistency, issues comes from him sometimes having too much confidence in the strength of his arm.
Sometimes I almost think he is screwing around. I have seen him throw off his back foot or side armed with no pressure and clear throwing lanes. Those are things all QBs do from time to time but only when they are about to get sacked.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #43
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Insightful point. The disciplined approach of Rivera and the stickler for details that is Zampese will match well with what Haskins needs. They'll set a high bar that he be disciplined and get the footwork and the drop and the other technical details right, or he won't play for them. I like the pairing.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:23 PM   #44
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Insightful point. The disciplined approach of Rivera and the stickler for details that is Zampese will match well with what Haskins needs. They'll set a high bar that he be disciplined and get the footwork and the drop and the other technical details right, or he won't play for them. I like the pairing.

Zampese was a great under the radar hire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2020, 01:25 PM   #45
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Zampese was a great under the radar hire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keim has mentioned this in many outlets. Not only because of his resume, but he could be a long time QB coach for Haskins.
R.I.P. #21
Closed Thread