Home Games

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-20-2020, 01:19 PM   #16
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Re: Home Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
That is some good info. I have never seen weekday hotel rates cheaper than weekends before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number44 View Post
Really? I don't remember ever seeing it any other way.
That is what I meant. I should have had more coffee this morning.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-20-2020, 01:27 PM   #17
Giantone
Gamebreaker

There is a Marriot in Greenbelt that sometimes plays host to the visitors teams . Easy on and Off the beltway and close to FedEx

Never mind it's closed, it was sold and is being rebranded.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:32 PM   #18
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
There is a Marriot in Greenbelt that sometimes plays host to the visitors teams . Easy on and Off the beltway and close to FedEx

Never mind it's closed, it was sold and is being rebranded.
That was Greenbelt Marriott, use to host the Redskins and was Allen Iverson's personal party hotel.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:38 PM   #19
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

Thank you for the help. We appreciate the advice.
OmahaRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:06 PM   #20
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaRedskins View Post
With all of the changes, my wife and I are wanting to see a home game. We have been to DC once but it was many years ago.

We have a few questions and I am hoping the good people on this board can help.

Where is the best place to stay?
Is there a shuttle to and from the game?
Will we need a rental car?

Neither of us have driven in DC and we would like to have a few beers.

Thank you again for the help.
Having been there once in similar conditions as you're going to (but from further away) I'd say having a car is a nice way to easily visit the city, as long as you pay attention to the signs that tell you at what times you can park, parking is quite easy (anyway it is compared to Paris). But from I saw the subway is nice too.

I took the subway to the stadium, I really didn't think the walk from the station to the stadium was that long, unless walking really is difficult for you, it's nothing you should worry about.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:29 AM   #21
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

$100 parking tickets, that definitely is something that the increasing costs have outpaced inflation. When I first started driving the city I went to High School in 40 years ago charged $2 for over time limit parking. By the time I left that area 20 years later they were up to $48. I would venture a guess they are charging $100 there now also. $2 in an inflation calculator gets you about $8.50 in today's dollars.

The real racket in that city were parking regulations that by law at the time only had to be posted at major entrances to the city. Not sure if that is still the case. As an example there was a no overnight parking ordnance that was posted in only a few places. That ticket was a lot more pricey than the expired meter ones.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:25 PM   #22
kct1975
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
That is some good info. I have never seen weekday hotel rates cheaper than weekends before.
Your Welcome!
Quote:
Thank you for the help. We appreciate the advice.
Your Very Welcome!

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2020, 09:12 PM   #23
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Hijacking the thread

Dan met with Md lawmakers about sports betting and a new stadium.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wjla.co...makers-betting

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:21 AM   #24
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Hijacking the thread

From what I understood the most likely option is a rebuilt at the same location... which doesn't make much sense to me, I think the stadium is really good, and the vast majority of the complaints I've read were about the location (+ going and leaving there)... what am I missing ?
Old 01-23-2020, 08:27 AM   #25
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
From what I understood the most likely option is a rebuilt at the same location... which doesn't make much sense to me, I think the stadium is really good, and the vast majority of the complaints I've read were about the location (+ going and leaving there)... what am I missing ?
I think a lot of fans hate it because it doesn't have the personality RFK had. A lot of Redskins fans reminisce about the stands shaking at RFK and the home field advantage they had there. (Some of these complaints would be resolved by putting a winning team on the field).

And it doesn't have the pizzazz a lot of the newer stadiums in the league have, like ATL, Dallas, Minnesota, the new Rams/Raiders stadiums in LA/Vegas.

My beef with it is the poor design and parking situation. It's expensive driving there and then you still gotta wait an hour to get out on gameday. A lot of fans bitch about the walk from Metro, but I ain't gonna lie, I judge non-disabled people who complain about walking a mile. Exercise is not the enemy.

Also one thing I'd like to see (but realistically know won't happen) is see Snyder take after the ATL approach. ATL made the food at their stadium super cheap compared to the typical experience, and sales have been very strong as a result.

I'd also like to see more creative options on the food menu than Johnny Rockets and whatever else still remains (I hear food options on the third level are scarce). Both the Verizon Center and Nats Park do a great job of this, they bring in local vendors and they update the restaurant options and beer selections every year. FedEx is great if you don't mind paying $8 for a Bud Light.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #26
SunnySide
Playmaker

https://www.google.com/travel/hotels...oCCAQYAJIBAiAB

^^ this place is $109 a night right now. never been there, make no recommendations but it appears to be in the heart of Annapolis downtown. Do a google street view and walk down the streets to see.

Like everyone has said, the DC metro is very expensive. The area anywhere around Landover has 0 to offer but will run you probably $150 plus for a crappy motel 6. Hotel in DC or Northern VA would probably be 300 plus.

I would suggest staying in Annapolis. its beautiful, lots of restaurants and is great for walking and seeing stuff. Its probably 45 miles from the stadium but if you rent a car you can drive in and park. Or drive to the nearest metro station and take the train in. The drive is easy. Straight shot down Route 50 to 495 then follow the traffic to the stadium.

*** definitely eat at Chick and Ruths Delly (old school diner) and get the crab cakes. You only need one, not two .. the best ive had.

*** if there is a Navy home game or any Naval academy thing going on that weekend, Id imagine they would be booked. The Naval academy is right there.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:20 AM   #27
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Hijacking the thread

“He specifically said that he was not interested in having the taxpayers pay for any stadium,” Guzzone said

interesting

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:32 PM   #28
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Coming from Omaha, Nebraska. We would like to stay under 1K plus flights.
If you're coming for the weekend then I'd suggest staying in Arlington near a metro. That way you won't need a car and you can get downtown to do stuff pretty easily. Plus there's a lot to do in Arlington. Plenty of nightlife and great restaurants.

I use to live in a condo across the street from The Highlander Hotel. It's pretty cheap ( kind of a dump ) and a couple blocks away from the Va Square Metro. The orange line goes through there and you can take that all the way to Addison Road. I think it's the closest stop from Fed Ex. Some others could tell you if there's still a shuttle that runs to and from the metro.

Also you could walk off the plane and go to Va Square and not have to deal with driving. I can promise you that if you've never been to DC and you're going to attempt to drive good luck.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:59 PM   #29
irish
Playmaker

Don't waste your time or money staying near the stadium. There's nothing out there and you will definitely need a car. Bite the bullet and stay in DC near the Mall. Its near Metro and all the sites you and your wife want to see in DC. Metro to and from the airport and the game so no need for a car. It's not the cheapest option but I think you will have a much better overall experience than trying to save a few dollars on a cheap outside the Beltway hotel.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:39 PM   #30
Warthog
The Starter

I’ve driven down to stay at decent (not great) and reasonable Holiday Inn type places within a 4-5 miles of the stadium. Some have hotel buses that take you to the game and back. About $100-125 per night with free breakfast. I think something like $25 per person for the bus.

If you stay within walking distance to the stadium (20-30 minutes walk) the quality of the reasonable hotels goes down below what you want. Fly into Dulles to save money and you rent a car to get to Greenbelt. If you’re willing to walk 15-20 minutes from a parking lot you can get into some that only $20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote