Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Chase Young or Three First Round Picks?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-30-2020, 06:34 AM   #61
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: Chase Young or Three First Round Picks?

I think if you have to look at the Walker and Williams mega trades and realise that a GM who tried that now would be out of the door pretty soon. Neither player was a bust, but in comparison the picks given up to get them largely benefited the teams that got them far more than losing those 2 players. Realistically you'd have to be pretty daft to even propose a trade like that in the modern NFL.

Besides, after last year its pretty clear that the Dolphins management don't have any issue with giving up players for picks if they feel the balance is in their favour. I just can't see them reversing course 100% like that knowing that they will almost certainly get the QB they want at #5 anyway. Detroit might go for Tua, and have spent weeks bluffing that Stafford is their man, but I just don't see it. And the Giants are not moving on from Danny Dimes after 1 season.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-30-2020, 09:37 AM   #62
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I think if you have to look at the Walker and Williams mega trades and realise that a GM who tried that now would be out of the door pretty soon. Neither player was a bust, but in comparison the picks given up to get them largely benefited the teams that got them far more than losing those 2 players. Realistically you'd have to be pretty daft to even propose a trade like that in the modern NFL.

Besides, after last year its pretty clear that the Dolphins management don't have any issue with giving up players for picks if they feel the balance is in their favour. I just can't see them reversing course 100% like that knowing that they will almost certainly get the QB they want at #5 anyway. Detroit might go for Tua, and have spent weeks bluffing that Stafford is their man, but I just don't see it. And the Giants are not moving on from Danny Dimes after 1 season.
Those points are all fine and well but it's not just Miami that will threaten swooping in here and that's something they will have to consider as well. And you know damn well the Redskins will do their best to make it seem like there is a SHIT TON of interest in that #2 spot. And there rightfully might be. I would even keep an eye on New England trying to fleece us like they do everyone. But there are plenty of teams that most likely covet the QB that Miami wants, or at least the draft position in which he's likely to go.... so it's not just a done deal at #5
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:50 AM   #63
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Detroit might go for Tua, and have spent weeks bluffing that Stafford is their man, but I just don't see it.
I have to disagree with you about Detroit's true intentions. I think that Stafford has been declining and that he is now prone to more injuries as he ages in football years. It would not surprise me one little bit if Detroit selected Tua. He could play behind Stafford for a short while and fully recover before he takes over as the starter. They may never again have an opportunity to draft a QB of Tua's caliber.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:08 AM   #64
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I have to disagree with you about Detroit's true intentions. I think that Stafford has been declining and that he is now prone to more injuries as he ages in football years. It would not surprise me one little bit if Detroit selected Tua. He could play behind Stafford for a short while and fully recover before he takes over as the starter. They may never again have an opportunity to draft a QB of Tua's caliber.
Potential calibre. Depends how he comes off the injury.

If Detroit come in with an offer then you know they might be after him, in which case if the Dolphins don't come knocking I'd be tempted as long as it was a swap of 1st+. I wouldn't be interested otherwise as that clearly opens up the Giants to take Young.

Also makes me think the Dolphins probably regret winning those games now.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:57 AM   #65
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Ultimately, it all depends on how we have players ranked on our final draft board and what we are offered, and what players we would likely be able to draft in those slots.

For the sake of argument, lets say we grade all players on a scale of 1-100.

If we had Chase Young graded at 96, but we could trade down a few spots and draft a player graded at 93, and get 2 additional firsts, then its a no-brainer that we take the deal.

On the other hand, if we had Chase Young graded as a perfect 100, but there was a huge drop off in grade after that and the players we would get a few spots later have a grade of, say 82, or so, then trading down makes a lot less sense.

It seems to me that most here that are saying we should not trade the pick and draft chase, you are assuming the skins grade Young as a close to perfect 100, with a huge drop off in talent with the player we'd get if we traded down to picks 5 or 6. That may be true, but it may not be. Its WAY too early to be making bold declarations on the draft value of Young or anyone else. We won't have a better sense until closer to the draft.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:01 PM   #66
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

I will also add that the skins are supposedly very high on the CB Okudah. Burgundy blog also posted a link to an article saying how the NFL is combatting the pass rush by having QBs get rid of the ball quicker, which places less importance on pass rushers and more on elite CBs.

One could also argue that with Kerrigan and Sweat focused exclusively on rushing the passer, we might be better suited (overall) as a team to add an elite corner than to add Young (moving Kerrigan to the bench) and having a weak CB.

I think there are good arguments to be had on both sides, but my point is, our team, overall, might be better off with Okudah and 2 other first round picks than with adding Chase Young and moving Kerrigan to the bench.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:48 PM   #67
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I will also add that the skins are supposedly very high on the CB Okudah. Burgundy blog also posted a link to an article saying how the NFL is combatting the pass rush by having QBs get rid of the ball quicker, which places less importance on pass rushers and more on elite CBs.

One could also argue that with Kerrigan and Sweat focused exclusively on rushing the passer, we might be better suited (overall) as a team to add an elite corner than to add Young (moving Kerrigan to the bench) and having a weak CB.

I think there are good arguments to be had on both sides, but my point is, our team, overall, might be better off with Okudah and 2 other first round picks than with adding Chase Young and moving Kerrigan to the bench.
That is the biggest nope from me that I can muster

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:55 PM   #68
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post

So you think a starting lineup of
Young + Sweat + shitty CBs

is better than

Kerrigan + Sweat + Okudah + 2 additional first round picks

At this point, i would whole-heartedly disagree. I think our team is better off with a very good pass rush and elite secondary play than with an elite pass rush and absolutely shitty secondary play. Overall, we're starting a more competitive roster.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:00 PM   #69
Defensewins
Playmaker

This is a fairly deep QB class with as many as 4 to 5 QB first round picks. Jordan Love is impressing at this weeks senior bowl practices and has moved up into the the top 4 or 5 qb’s in this draft and a possible first round pick.
I am not sure teams will sell the farm on a franchise QB with a broken hip when there Is a good graduating class of QB’s.
I think two recent QB draft classes may change how GM’s over value QB’s
Patrick Mahomes was rated the second or third best QB in his class, was drafted 10th and is now in the Super Bowl and a top NFL QB.
Lamar Jackson was drafted 32nd in 2018 and is all world.
This might slow the roll of the Tua or bust crazy talk.
Plus we have seen the experience of drafting a heralded QB on one the best college teams. Does not always turn out great. Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson did not play at Alabama, LSU or Ohio’s State.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:37 PM   #70
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I think you take Young and get a couple or corners in FA. Norman and Moreau suck and have to go. Dunbar will never stay healthy so you have to get a corner or two in FA and also in the mid rounds.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #71
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Kerrigan needs to be regulated to "paying customer" he looks done.

I mean done is done in my book

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #72
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:

is better than

At this point, i would whole-heartedly disagree. I think our team is better off with a very good pass rush and elite secondary play than with an elite pass rush and absolutely shitty secondary play. Overall, we're starting a more competitive roster.
A) No guarantee we get Okudah in the draft in this scenario
and
B) I think an Elite level pass rush >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> An Elite corner

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:57 PM   #73
MTK
\m/

No chance Rivera passes on a premium pass rusher for a corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2020, 03:11 PM   #74
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:

is better than

Problem is you assume we can't solve the 'shitty CB' problem. We can. We have $60M in cap space. So we can fill holes in free agency. My point being you can't assume 'shitty CBs' will be part of the Week 1 roster under either scenario. A potential trade doesn't exist in a vacuum.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:12 PM   #75
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
No chance Rivera passes on a premium pass rusher for a corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree. The media is starting to realize that they'll have nothing to talk about if they continue to assume Chase Young is a lock to be a Redskin. But that's what it is.