when has The U done us wrong?
He's too tall!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #33
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Re: # 21 draft pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBall View Post
Nice post. Don't know if history in draft is apples to apples for this year. I know there are some nice looking players like:

15 Derrick Harvey Jr. Florida Defensive End 6-4 255
5 Chris Long Sr. Virginia Defensive End 6-4 280
2 Glen Dorsey Sr. LSU Defensive Tackle 6-2 310
22 Vernon Gholston Jr. Ohio State Defensive End 6-4 265

LSU guy is tackle but may be too good to pass up but likely gone by then.

Think if we can add a true play-making pass rusher that is good enough to start and a free agent cb or backer that brings more speed our defense could be even better and not give our offense pressure to win games.

We have a good enough offense to win it all right now b/c our defense can be a top 5 unit in 08'. Lets make sure that happens and add to it.

That's my point.
long dorsey have no chance of dropping that far, dorsey or long could even go #1. gholston will likely also be gone
Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #34
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
He's too tall!
Yeah - Who would want a 6' 7" defensive end with arms that can touch the roof of Texas stadium? I mean, what use is to a defensive end who may want to knock down passes ....

Oh wait.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #35
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Daniels isn't flashy but then he didn't get a flashy contract either. Not sure where you get the "we picked him expecting a log more production" line. He has been a good signing for good value. I for one never expected him to do more than be a plugger. That he has done and done well.

Yes we need a stud DE but that doesn't mean we have to trash Daniels. He's a solid, unspectacular end. Lots of teams would take his production over the last three years.
Daniels is definitely a cheap player who has played up to, or even outperformed, his contract. I also think it is highly unlikely we'll dump him since Blache loves Daniels and Blache reportedly has great or total control over personnel decisions affecting the defense. However, I think Blache could draft a guy like Calais Campbell to take Daniels' spot in 2009 and to line up at LDE on passing situations, with Daniels and Griffin at DE and Carter at RDE. Blache supposedly loves corners, Springs may be gone, and Rogers is coming off an injury, but I don't know if we can afford top FA corners or if any quality corners will be available when we pick at #21.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #36
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
Daniels is definitely a cheap player who has played up to, or even outperformed, his contract. I also think it is highly unlikely we'll dump him since Blache loves Daniels and Blache reportedly has great or total control over personnel decisions affecting the defense. However, I think Blache could draft a guy like Calais Campbell to take Daniels' spot in 2009 and to line up at LDE on passing situations, with Daniels and Griffin at DE and Carter at RDE. Blache supposedly loves corners, Springs may be gone, and Rogers is coming off an injury, but I don't know if we can afford top FA corners or if any quality corners will be available when we pick at #21.
I see Daniels playing 1 more year, think he has only 1 yr. left on his deal. He's done a good job & he is a decent pass rusher, he's just lost a step & can't get sacks much, but he collapses the pocket well & makes qb's step up. He's also best on the team at batting down passes. Overall, a tough vet player IMO.

But you're right about looking for his replacement. If they don't get a DE w/the 1st pick, I would expect to see one taken in the 2nd or 3rd round.

CB is still an issue too. I hope Springs is here, but even if he is I wouldn't be surprised to see a cb drafted 1st if the right one is there. Looks like at this point none of the best ones are projected higher than 15 or so. Talib from Kansas might be available. Brandon Flowers from Va. tEch might still be there in the 2nd. He's an underclassmen who would be a 1st rounder in 09 if he stayed in school.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #37
killromo
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
... I know Blache likes good corners, but with Rogers healthy we have a pretty legit CB corps, and any QB can complete passes to any WR against any CB given enough time. WE NEED A PASS RUSH!
I have yet to see Rogers be very legit. Maybe I'm being harsh but I consider him to be mediocre at best when healthy and with his draft position he definitely has not lived up to the billing. But hey at least we didn't get Pacman! Shawn Springs has played well at times but is a play away from retirement. Smoot has been a nice surprise in the secondary, followed by my favorite young talent in the NFL; Mr. Suicide Mission himself, Laron Landry. With rogers injury now(obviously not his fault) he really doesn't have much upside for next season. I am really pulling for Dematha/Salisbury University alum Byron Westbrook to earn a spot this offseason.
By the way what is kenny Phillips projected to go in the draft? He is eerily similar to ST. If he's got the value I would like to see him go at number 21 to the skins
killromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #38
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by killromo View Post
I have yet to see Rogers be very legit. Maybe I'm being harsh but I consider him to be mediocre at best when healthy and with his draft position he definitely has not lived up to the billing. But hey at least we didn't get Pacman! Shawn Springs has played well at times but is a play away from retirement. Smoot has been a nice surprise in the secondary, followed by my favorite young talent in the NFL; Mr. Suicide Mission himself, Laron Landry. With rogers injury now(obviously not his fault) he really doesn't have much upside for next season. I am really pulling for Dematha/Salisbury University alum Byron Westbrook to earn a spot this offseason.
By the way what is kenny Phillips projected to go in the draft? He is eerily similar to ST. If he's got the value I would like to see him go at number 21 to the skins
Most have Phillips as the top safety but not rated in the top 10. I think if he has a good combine his stock will go up & he won't be there for us.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #39
Redskin Warrior
The Starter

Quote:
He's too tall!
The same height as Mario Williams is he too tall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:12 PM   #40
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by killromo View Post
popular pick is putting him at #13 to the panthers.

if he's there at 21, i'd love to have him. guaranteed pro-bowler, maybe as early as his 2nd or 3rd season, and hopefully an instant impact starter.

we still do need a legit DE like no one's business though.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:14 PM   #41
bigm29
Special Teams

Hey anyone think its a coinicidence we have the #21 pick the year of Sean Taylors death? That number keeps coming up
Old 02-06-2008, 07:38 AM   #42
LandrySlice
Special Teams

What many people are forgetting is that our D was in the top 10 this year, and I trust Blache to do well for us in 08. The key to this years draft will be to trade our pick for more future first round picks or make it part of a blockbuster deal to land the "Big Target" reciever Jason Campbell needs which will help spread the field and should help Santana, Randel El, Cooley, and do I dare say the Legenary Lloyd? Hail Laron Landry! GO SKINS!
LandrySlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:32 AM   #43
coggs
Special Teams

None of those players were first round picks, off the top of my head. The only D-lineman I can remember them drafting in the first round was William Joseph and he was terrible.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:38 AM   #44
LandrySlice
Special Teams

How big of a factor is this draft pick going to be based on the hiring of the HC? Or is this going to be stricktly Vinny and Snyder's pick together? Also, does anyone know who repalaced ST on the leadership council?
LandrySlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #45
skinzaholic73
Camp Scrub

If by some big miracle our 1st pick doesn't go to cincy for CJ,then I definitely think we go DE.Hopefully Merling or L.Jackson will be there if not I think Cris Ellis.
skinzaholic73 is offline   Reply With Quote