Andre Smith 36 15.58%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #61
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: Please Draft ??? at #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I've been hearing alot of Orakpo talk. Can someone tell me what position he's going to play at the NFL level? He's 6'3 and 260lbs. I don't think he can play de in a 4-3. Is he going to play SLB and take Washington's spot if we draft him? He seems like a better fit for a 3-4.
Many folks have said that his frame allows room for more bulking up.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #62
GMScud
Swearinger

I'm going to say Michael Oher. I love the idea of Orakpo or Maualuga, but we need a tackle so badly. We've done nothing thus far to our O-line except bring back Dockery, and I'm not alone in the opinion that said O-line was the biggest reason for our a 2-6 finish.

We finished '08 with the 4th overall defense, and that was without Albert Haynesworth. I don't mean to dimish our need for another DE and OLB, but I think tackle is more pressing given the current state of things.

Giving Campbell more time and Portis more holes is so important. I could deal with Samuels, Dock, Rabach, a healthy Randy Thomas, and Oher up front.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #63
53Fan
Franchise Player

I'd be fine with Oher, Smith, or Maualuga. I would probably be more excited if we took Rey, but we need to start adding some serious talent and youth to our o-line. So that would be my order. I would've been ecstatic to get Curry but I recently read that he eats babies!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #64
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks42 View Post
For those of you thinking about going after Sanchez, Matt Bowen brings up some pretty good points.

The National Football Post | Sanchez: Do We Believe The Hype?
Unlike celts32, I think this is a solid, valid article. I'd be willing to bet that if Sanchez had thrown a couple of picks in a losing effort against Penn St in the Rose Bowl, he'd be returning to USC in 2010. But he didn't, so he won't, and he'll be a pro in 2010. And IMO he'll probably be a pretty good NFL QB eventually. However it's hard to ignore how one game spring boarded him so high up the NFL draft charts.

So after that one game he became a sure-fire first rounder, and over the past few months he's now become a possibly top 5 pick? What's happened in that time? Zero actual football games, and a few workouts without pads.
Placing value on hype is, IMO, overvaluing. He's good looking, confident, will sell tickets and jerseys, oooh, ahhh. Again, I think he'll be good, but I don't want him at #13, and I REALLY don't think he's worth moving up for.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #65
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Huh, i'm a bit surprised Orakpo leads the poll. I'd have thought Smith would. I mean based on talent and past performance Smith was scouted as a top 5 pick. Orakpo is only considered the 4th or 5th best DE in the draft according to Kiper and some other analysts.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #66
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Unlike celts32, I think this is a solid, valid article. I'd be willing to bet that if Sanchez had thrown a couple of picks in a losing effort against Penn St in the Rose Bowl, he'd be returning to USC in 2010. But he didn't, so he won't, and he'll be a pro in 2010. And IMO he'll probably be a pretty good NFL QB eventually. However it's hard to ignore how one game spring boarded him so high up the NFL draft charts.

So after that one game he became a sure-fire first rounder, and over the past few months he's now become a possibly top 5 pick? What's happened in that time? Zero actual football games, and a few workouts without pads.
Placing value on hype is, IMO, overvaluing. He's good looking, confident, will sell tickets and jerseys, oooh, ahhh. Again, I think he'll be good, but I don't want him at #13, and I REALLY don't think he's worth moving up for.
I couldn't agree more. I thought Bowen was spot on with this article.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #67
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Huh, i'm a bit surprised Orakpo leads the poll. I'd have thought Smith would. I mean based on talent and past performance Smith was scouted as a top 5 pick. Orakpo is only considered the 4th or 5th best DE in the draft according to Kiper and some other analysts.
Well a lot of people have him at #1 also, but every time I see Orakpo I can't help thinking of Vernon Gholston. My GF is an Ohio State fan and I kept telling her last year that I just didn't see it. It was all about size, speed, etc. but when I watched him play, I wasn't very impressed. I'm concerned about injury issues with Orakpo and honestly he just doesn't blow me away when I watch him play.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #68
Redskin Jim
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Well a lot of people have him at #1 also, but every time I see Orakpo I can't help thinking of Vernon Gholston. My GF is an Ohio State fan and I kept telling her last year that I just didn't see it. It was all about size, speed, etc. but when I watched him play, I wasn't very impressed. I'm concerned about injury issues with Orakpo and honestly he just doesn't blow me away when I watch him play.
I agree 53, I would be more inclined to go with a trade down and try and catch Tyson Jackson DE LSU.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #69
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Jim View Post
I agree 53, I would be more inclined to go with a trade down and try and catch Tyson Jackson DE LSU.
I'd be surprised if Jackson was there at 13, but yeah if he's there then there probably isn't a better fit for our team than him.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #70
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I'd be surprised if Jackson was there at 13, but yeah if he's there then there probably isn't a better fit for our team than him.
Talk about a player rocketing up the draft board...but in Jackson's case I think it's smart scouting. He's maybe the safest pick in this year's draft along w/ Jason Smith and Aaron Curry. Watching his highlights it's very impressive how quickly Jackson collapses the pocket...personally I prefer him over Orakpo.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #71
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Agreed. I see a run on DE's starting with Green Bay at #9. If that happens, we'll probably get a crack at one of the top 4 tackles, or a DE like Ayers or Maybin. I have a feeling Orakpo, Jackson, and E.Brown will be gone. That being the case, I'll stick with Oher at #13.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #72
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Talk about a player rocketing up the draft board...but in Jackson's case I think it's smart scouting. He's maybe the safest pick in this year's draft along w/ Jason Smith and Aaron Curry. Watching his highlights it's very impressive how quickly Jackson collapses the pocket...personally I prefer him over Orakpo.
I know, a couple of months ago I was all about trading down for Duke and Tyson Jackson. Who knew we'd have to potentially trade up for Jackson.

But he's the best pure 4-3 DE, as opposed to the many other hybrids out there. Chiefs seem pretty keen on getting him though. And if they don't take him, Cincy almost surely will.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #73
backrow
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I like Orakpo because he can play LB and DE and would basically fill two needs with one shot.

My 2nd choice is Smith. I know he's immature but on the field the dude is a beast. He just needs to grow up a bit.
I like Oher/Smith, to help the OL, then Orakpo. I figure both Smith and Orakpo and probably Oher (My poll vote) will all be gone at 13.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #74
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
I know, a couple of months ago I was all about trading down for Duke and Tyson Jackson. Who knew we'd have to potentially trade up for Jackson.

But he's the best pure 4-3 DE, as opposed to the many other hybrids out there. Chiefs seem pretty keen on getting him though. And if they don't take him, Cincy almost surely will.
What's your best guess on Aaron Curry's fate?
Old 04-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #75
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:

The Chiefs are keen on Tyson Jackson at #3?? Seems to me they could move down a few spots and still easily land him. And we all know Pioli is a draft-day mover. I think Spagnuolo is probably lobbying hard for Aaron Curry at #2, in which case I think KC either takes Jason Smith or moves down. I'm sure Pioli would love more picks, but he could do a lot worse than giving his franchise QB a franchise LT. They could be pair for a decade.

You don't think Cincy will go tackle? Andre Smith seems like a trendy pick lately for the Bungles. Based on your info, seems to me we'll likely have one of the big 4 OTs to choose from.