Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Redskins Are Close

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
12thMan
MVP

The Redskins Are Close

It seemed like yesterday we were enduring the August sun and training camp predictions. Anything and everything about Brian Orakapo, Marko Mitchell, or Marcus Mason was newsworthy and commanded our attention. Now two games into the regular season and we're sharply focused on a Redskin team like a couple of know it all interns bickering over how to treat a patient who just got wheeled into the emergency room. While the situation may require medical assistance, what's ailing the patient is not life threatening. Not even close.

I asked myself if I were the fan of another team, who happens to catch all the Redskins games live, what would be my honest assessment of this team and where do I see them going. Because grading something -anything- is difficult when you're so emotionally invested in the outcome. So I'm taking a step back. Where's that damn Paintrain thread when you need it!

I really don't want to rehash the team's epic failures in the red zone, because it's been well documented here and elsewhere. In fact, it's been talked about over and over and over again. I don't think there's one person breathing today that will put more pressure on Jim Zorn this week than Jim Zorn. We saw the offense open up from week one to week two. Coach Zorn just needs to take the next step, and I believe he will.

Besides coach Jim Zorn the other Redskin causing angst among the faithful is Jason Campbell. Right now Campbell is ranked 15th in the NFL in passing. Let me throw a few names out there for perspective. Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, and Aaron Rodgers, who by the way, has been sacked 10 times already, all rank below Campbell statistically. For all the critcism he's been receiving, some warranted some not, you would think he's chucking the ball in the air like Jake Delhomme. So let's be a little honest here, Campbell has been solid and probably a little more given the dropped passes he's had at critical moments thus far. I'm not a Jason Campbell apologist, but I sometimes wonder if the tables were turned and Campbell wore another uniform how many trade threads would be requesting for him to come play for Washington so that Zorn can "coach him up."

This team just needs to keep on winning until they find the easy button. If winning ugly is the formula for now, I'll take it. I'd much rather be going into week three bitching and moaning about Zorn than going into week six or seven bitching about Zorn. There's no way Moss will continue to be ineffective that much longer. Especially with the way Cooley and Kelly have started. I think Sellers and Thomas catch those balls next time. And honestly, I don't think losing Randy Thomas will be that big of a deal. He hasn't played a ton of downs over the past few years anyway, and when he has he wasn't exactly dominant, so I don't see any major disruption along the offensive line regardless of who they plug in to replace Thomas.

All of that being said, the Redskins will handle their business in Detroit. I'm not calling for a close game either. The Redskins are 7-2 in indoor facilities in the last six years, including 2004 and 2008 wins over the Lions at Ford Field. The defensive line found another gear last week and should only get better as the season wears on. And I think --hope --Zorn opens up the offense inside the twenty. I won't predict a final score, but I think the Skins by 17 points is doable. From there, I think they finish the season with six losses.

Here's to a big, big win in the Motor City this weekend!
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
redskinsking14
Camp Scrub

Re: The Redskins Are Close

thanks you finally.... someone with some comesense (but all skins fan do). but ur right. hey the team i progressing weekly that how you get better by looking at the last week problems and fix then the next. all skins have faith well be ok. trustand believe.thats all...
redskinsking14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

A......few things:
1) If we were Eagle fans we would have burned the Vet to the ground some time ago.
2) This is the biggest game of Zorn's career
3) We WILL indeed find out much about our team and coach over the next few weeks.
4) I agree, they're CLOSE
5) If winning ugly is the formula for now, let's take it god damnit

CAN I get a HELL YAH?
IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME
HTTR
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
A......few things:
1) If we were Eagle fans we would have burned the Vet to the ground some time ago.
3) We WILL indeed find out much about our team and coach over the next few weeks.

CAN I get a HELL YAH?
IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME
HTTR

That's funny, in my original version I wrote I'll take it god damnit. Then edited it. Hey, let's take it god damnit!!! Wooo hooo!!
Old 09-23-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
DCtoAZ
Impact Rookie

Lightbulb Re: The Redskins Are Close

Finally someone who sees it correctly .. it's so annoying how everyone is FREAKING out .. we are 1-1 .. last time I checked it's a bottom line league, bottom line is who didn't think we'd be 1-1 at this point.. yeah the Rams game had issues, but WE WON .. would you rather we lost ? WTF ...the offense does look better than last year .. you have to admit it .. sure we have the RED Zone issues, ummm that is fixable .. it's not like we lost Cooley, Moss, POrtis, etc .. they are all healthy .. Zorn has the pressure .. I firmly believe this is the offense's coming out party this weekend ... finally people will shut the f@#% up about this team and get behind them .. Our DEFENSE is a championship D .. don't be fooled .. they are that good ... let's get the ball rolling on O and the chips will fall where they may ..

Skins BIG THIS WEEKEND !~!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skins 44
Lions 17

Stafford - 3 INTS (1 for TD by HALL) ... 5 SACKS !
NFC EAST CHAMPS RG3 will be back & #12 can run the show until hes ready.We are young w depth. 23,59,89 will all be back.Alfred Morris aka Diesel Hybrid ! @DCtoAZ81 ...2013 NFC CHAMPS
DCtoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
A......few things:

CAN I get a HELL YAH?
IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME
HTTR
Winning ugly against teams like the Rams and Lions?...That equates to losing ugly to the competitive teams in this league.

How the hell are the Skins close? What have the Redskins shown you the past two weeks that makes them close to anything but the basement of the NFC?

And if this Zorn's biggest game of his career then I feel sorry for Zorn's career. Those are some pathetic expectations you have for Zorn this year.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog1 View Post
a......few things:
1) if we were eagle fans we would have burned the vet to the ground some time ago.
2) this is the biggest game of zorn's career
3) we will indeed find out much about our team and coach over the next few weeks.
4) i agree, they're close
5) if winning ugly is the formula for now, let's take it god damnit

can i get a hell yah?
It's clobberin' time
httr
Hell Yeah!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
It seemed like yesterday we were enduring the August sun and training camp predictions. Anything and everything about Brian Orakapo, Marko Mitchell, or Marcus Mason was newsworthy and commanded our attention. Now two games into the regular season and we're sharply focused on a Redskin team like a couple of know it all interns bickering over how to treat a patient who just got wheeled into the emergency room. While the situation may require medical assistance, what's ailing the patient is not life threatening. Not even close.

I asked myself if I were the fan of another team, who happens to catch all the Redskins games live, what would be my honest assessment of this team and where do I see them going. Because grading something -anything- is difficult when you're so emotionally invested in the outcome. So I'm taking a step back. Where's that damn Paintrain thread when you need it!

I really don't want to rehash the team's epic failures in the red zone, because it's been well documented here and elsewhere. In fact, it's been talked about over and over and over again. I don't think there's one person breathing today that will put more pressure on Jim Zorn this week than Jim Zorn. We saw the offense open up from week one to week two. Coach Zorn just needs to take the next step, and I believe he will.

Besides coach Jim Zorn the other Redskin causing angst among the faithful is Jason Campbell. Right now Campbell is ranked 15th in the NFL in passing. Let me throw a few names out there for perspective. Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, and Aaron Rodgers, who by the way, has been sacked 10 times already, all rank below Campbell statistically. For all the critcism he's been receiving, some warranted some not, you would think he's chucking the ball in the air like Jake Delhomme. So let's be a little honest here, Campbell has been solid and probably a little more given the dropped passes he's had at critical moments thus far. I'm not a Jason Campbell apologist, but I sometimes wonder if the tables were turned and Campbell wore another uniform how many trade threads would be requesting for him to come play for Washington so that Zorn can "coach him up."

This team just needs to keep on winning until they find the easy button. If winning ugly is the formula for now, I'll take it. I'd much rather be going into week three bitching and moaning about Zorn than going into week six or seven bitching about Zorn. There's no way Moss will continue to be ineffective that much longer. Especially with the way Cooley and Kelly have started. I think Sellers and Thomas catch those balls next time. And honestly, I don't think losing Randy Thomas will be that big of a deal. He hasn't played a ton of downs over the past few years anyway, and when he has he wasn't exactly dominant, so I don't see any major disruption along the offensive line regardless of who they plug in to replace Thomas.

All of that being said, the Redskins will handle their business in Detroit. I'm not calling for a close game either. The Redskins are 7-2 in indoor facilities in the last six years, including 2004 and 2008 wins over the Lions at Ford Field. The defensive line found another gear last week and should only get better as the season wears on. And I think --hope --Zorn opens up the offense inside the twenty. I won't predict a final score, but I think the Skins by 17 points is doable. From there, I think they finish the season with six losses.

Here's to a big, big win in the Motor City this weekend!
Good work 12thMan.......I'm going to contact you about writing an article for my magazine.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
Winning ugly against teams like the Rams and Lions?...That equates to losing ugly to the competitive teams in this league.

How the hell are the Skins close? What have the Redskins shown you the past two weeks that makes them close to anything but the basement of the NFC?

And if this Zorn's biggest game of his career then I feel sorry for Zorn's career. Those are some pathetic expectations you have for Zorn this year.
How do you think we're not close is the question? It's not like the Giants blew us out. We're talking about one, two plays that turned that game. And..umm...we did beat the Rams.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Good work 12thMan.......I'm going to contact you about writing an article for my magazine.
I'm gonna contact him about writing my senior thesis.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Let's do it.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #12
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
How do you think we're not close is the question? It's not like the Giants blew us out. We're talking about one, two plays that turned that game. And..umm...we did beat the Rams.
The Giants beat us by two TD's. Our garbage time, prevent defense TD at the end of the game doesn't count to keeping it close. I don't know if you watched that game but the Skins were clearly dominated.

We needed to rely 100% on Shawn Suisham just to win the Rams game by two points...need I say more?

If you intended to say the Redskins are close to beating the worse teams in the NFL then your statement is accurate.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #13
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Lol us score 44 pts!! Your high, we will win but not by that much.. I say 23-14
Old 09-23-2009, 08:16 PM   #14
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
The Giants beat us by two TD's. Our garbage time, prevent defense TD at the end of the game doesn't count to keeping it close. I don't know if you watched that game but the Skins were clearly dominated.

We needed to rely 100% on Shawn Suisham just to win the Rams game by two points...need I say more?

If you intended to say the Redskins are close to beating the worse teams in the NFL then your statement is accurate.
No I meant it the way I said it. We're close to be a solid 10-6 team. Look, all of this we barely beat a weak team, therefore we can't beat the good teams doesn't fly. You don't know 'til you know. And in the NFL, any given Sunday is true everytime a team kicks the ball off. Hate to sound cliche, but it's true.

Look, you can find a couple of threads around here where I'm ripping Zorn's play calling last week and how this is possibly his most important game. I actually still feel that way, but I also feel that we're not that far off from being a really solid football team. We'll find out though, won't we?
Old 09-23-2009, 08:21 PM   #15
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
No I meant it the way I said it. We're close to be a solid 10-6 team. Look, all of this we barely beat a weak team, therefore we can't beat the good teams doesn't fly. You don't know 'til you know. And in the NFL, any given Sunday is true everytime a team kicks the ball off. Hate to sound cliche, but it's true.

Look, you can find a couple of threads around here where I'm ripping Zorn's play calling last week and how this is his possibly his most important game. I actually still feel that way, but I also feel that we're not that far off from being a really solid football team. We'll find out though, won't we?
I agree with that but the way you go about playing that team plays a huge factor to your future success.

If the Skins lost players during the game due to injury or had some freak turnovers to cause that close game then you could reason that it's not a real indication.

We had our full roster AND a full 60 minutes to show a clearly inferior team who was better that day. That inferior opponent showed us that they are just as good as we are that Sunday. There were hardly any freak turnovers or other game changing plays.

It was straight up with no wild cards and we struggled to edge them out. That to me is an indication of overall strength.