Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

John Lynch to be released

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-11-2004, 04:30 PM   #16
jsarno
Franchise Player

well, in a perfect world we could sign anyone we wanted like the Yankees, but this isn't the awful MLB, it's the NFL and we have a cap to worry about.
Ohalete and Bowen are a good safty combo, possibly the best we have had in years. They are the best ever, but for the money they are good. They are both cap friendly and we need that.

Advertisements
Old 03-11-2004, 04:34 PM   #17
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
John Lynch can play safety in the NFL at the highest level of the game. He's shown that; it's not a projection or an estimate; it's a fact.

The Redskins need to upgrade their talent at safety. Anyone who thinks that Bowen and Iffy can play at anything more than 75% of the effectiveness of John Lynch needs some serious therapy. I'm not questioning the hustle and the effort and the good intentions of the safeties on the team last year. I'm saying that if they gave anything near their maximum effort, then they are placeholders at the position and the the answer to the problems.

If Lynch can fit in under the Skins' cap for the next two years, they should sign him immediately - - if not sooner.
Curmudgeon, would you drop Iffy and Bowen and go with Taylor and Lynch at safety? By the way, I was reading your rant today and I'm wondering...which NWBL team are you thinking of buying
Old 03-11-2004, 04:46 PM   #18
johnnyredskin63
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982
bring back stubblefield.
the universe echoes with the voices of billions of redskins fans all over screaming a resounding HELL NO to that prospect.............
i'm open to lynch though,one hell of a player.
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS
always remember ladies and germs-THE COWBOYS SUCK
johnnyredskin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:11 PM   #19
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

smootsmack:

1. I would buy a franchise in the NWBL if it cost me $19.95. Anything more than that and I think it is a bad deal! I'm afraid that I might have to kidnap people and drag them at gunpoint to the arena to watch the games.

2. I would take Lynch and Taylor over Ohalete and Bowen in a flash!

3. I'd take Lynch and either Ohalete or Bowen over Ohalete and Bowen in a flash!

4. I'd take Lynch and any other safety in the NFL who started at least 10 games last year over Ohalete and Bowen with no hesitation.

Let me be unambiguously clear here. John Lynch is significantly better than either of the jamokes that played safety for the Skins last year. That is not intended to demean their effort or their dedication; it simply recognizes the flat- out fact that Ohalete and Bowen are average performers at their position and Lynch is a top-shelf performer.

The only 2 "problems" with John Lynch are:

1. He is 30 years old and at some point will start to slow down. Safeties generally do not excel at their job into their late 30s. He probably has 3 good years left in him - maybe 5 if he is extremely fortunate to avoid injuries.

2. He has played well enough that he is probably expecting a nice pay-day. That is why I said before that the salary cap guru for the Skins would have to assure the coaching staff that Lynch's deal can fit into the salary picture for at least this year and next year.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:29 PM   #20
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Sports, you and I are about the only two people on this board who are willing to tell it like it is regarding Bowen and Ohalete -- you're just nicer about it. I prefer call them Bozo and Dum-Dum.

Somebody earlier said that they were the possibly the 'best we've had in years'. Clearly, that person has been eating those mushrooms you mentioned in another thread and should be sent to the chalkboard immediately.

Bozo and Dum-Dum were consistently beaten, turned around, burned, slapped, caught way out of position, or made bonehead penalties to give their opponents an automatic first down.

Hell, I think even the lowly Matt Stevens was better than they were.

Lynch and Sean Taylor would make our secondary, and our defense as a whole instantly better. I hope Vinny and Danny are on the case, workin' the numbers!
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:40 PM   #21
Scott
Special Teams

I agree that Lynch would be an upgrade, but 1. He will be too expensive, he has not shown a year of diminished skill and therefore will be demanding "in my prime" money" and #2 He is 32 years old, reminds me too much of another DB that we signed and ended up being washed up when he showed up...give ya a hint he fields punts with his facemask
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:50 PM   #22
MTK
\m/

Sounds like he could be headed to the Jets anyway, he's really tight with Herm Edwards
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:00 PM   #23
Ghost
Special Teams

I'd rather have Taylor for roughly the same amount of money.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 12:58 AM   #24
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

if the pay is right I'd love for him to sign on. which safety spot is his strongest? think of how much better he could make taylor if we draft him. heck he could possibly even tutor Bowens and Ohalete enough to make them atleast representable safeties. but I also think his signing would be awesome in that we shored up our safety spot with a big upgrade and allow us to draft winslow or trade down knowing our safety isn't the weakest link on the defense anymore.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:29 AM   #25
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
I'd rather have Taylor for roughly the same amount of money.
True. The guy has been compared to RWilliams - except that Taylor is said to be quicker and possess better cover skills.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:29 AM   #26
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Lynch has said it wasn't about the money. He loves the game so much etc. Maybe he won't be too expensive? I for one would love to have him and Taylor back there. With the 5th rd pick back, do we draft Taylor and a CB and concentrate on shoreing up the DL through FA and undrafted?
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 11:18 AM   #27
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

According to the Orlando Sentinel (Chris Harry is an excellent NFL beat reporter), the Bucs will retain Lynch's rights and hope to trade him. The team gave Lynch's agent permission to shop Lynch around the league and to try to make a deal for him. The Orlando Sentinel says that the Bucs are looking to get a sixth round pick next year for Lynch.

Lynch already offered to take a large salary cut (he was going to make $4.1M next year in Tampa) to stay with the Bucs but the team decided to go with Jermaine Phillips instead.

Next year's sixth round pick is not much of a price for guy who has a couple of good years left in him. And if he was willing to take a large cut from $4.1M to play next year, that sounds pretty reasonable to me...
Old 03-12-2004, 12:08 PM   #28
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

if that's all it takes and he's willing to renegotiate his contract then there is no question u try and make this deal. a 6th rounder for one of the best players at his position? no-brainer imo.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 01:13 PM   #29
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
According to the Orlando Sentinel (Chris Harry is an excellent NFL beat reporter), the Bucs will retain Lynch's rights and hope to trade him. The team gave Lynch's agent permission to shop Lynch around the league and to try to make a deal for him. The Orlando Sentinel says that the Bucs are looking to get a sixth round pick next year for Lynch.

Lynch already offered to take a large salary cut (he was going to make $4.1M next year in Tampa) to stay with the Bucs but the team decided to go with Jermaine Phillips instead.

Next year's sixth round pick is not much of a price for guy who has a couple of good years left in him. And if he was willing to take a large cut from $4.1M to play next year, that sounds pretty reasonable to me...
They will release him they have no leverage, I don't know why they are even bothering to hang on, they won't pay him on his original contract and they won't pay him even if he takes a significant pay cut, everyone know's it, so why would he exept a trade when he can be an unrestricted free agent and go any where he want's? sound's like this new GM the buc's have isn't to bright, or he think's everyone else is stupid.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:42 PM   #30
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

The reasons the Bucs are letting him shop for a deal are several-fold.

1. They don't owe him a dime until he is due to get a roster bonus in mid-May. They will put him on the waiver wire instead of paying him, but until then, they can try for a low round draft pick next year.

2. Other teams that need/want Lynch are motivated to pay a 6th round pick next year and negotiate a new deal with Lynch's agent so that they do not get caught up in any kind of bidding war to sign him as a free agent. For the price of a 6th rounder next year, you are sure to get a solid player at a price that you and he negotiate.

3. John Lynch is providing a home for Herm Edwards' son in Florida as the kid finished high school there. Edwards wanted him to finish school there and left him in Lynch's care when Herm went off to NY. So if you are a team other than the Jets and you want Lynch, it behooves you to make a deal now with the Bucs. I think there is some "bonding" between Lynch and Edwards here...

Be careful about calling the new GM in Tampa an idiot. He is the son of George Allen who has some "Redskins credentials". Lots of folks here might not think that Redskins heroes produce idiotic offspring.