Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Rams Match Offer for Butler

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-11-2004, 08:34 PM   #16
EEich
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins009
I think this is good news to be honest. I think the one thing you can find with a 5th round pick is a quality blocking or H-back tightend. That is one of the few remaining holes in our offense. We could also draft a corner. According to Mel Kiper cornerback is the second deep's position in this draft behind WR.
skins009... I think you're living under some kind of delusion that we're likely to get a stud with the fifth round draft pick. On a different thread you mentioned that you'd be willing to give up McCants for a 5th rounder. Rarely will you find someone who will contribute on McCants' or Butler's level out of the gates. Sure, you might get lucky and you may find a player that will develop in a few years... but the chances aren't very good and Joe is obviously looking for players who can contribute immediately.

Last edited by EEich; 03-11-2004 at 08:40 PM.
EEich is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-11-2004, 09:43 PM   #17
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I think this is good news to be honest. I think the one thing you can find with a 5th round pick is a quality blocking or H-back tightend. That is one of the few remaining holes in our offense. We could also draft a corner. According to Mel Kiper cornerback is the second deep's position in this draft behind WR.
I have to completely disagree here. A quality blocking or H-back is probably already on our roster with either Rasby, Sellers, Byron Chamberlain or Bryan Johnson. Not to mention the countless number of undrafted free agents that will pop up in training camp.

While the draft is deep for corners, most of the 2nd or even 3rd tier quality levels of defensive backs will be long gone by the 5th round.

I see the Rams matching this offer as a major blow. Williams likes to have several CBs who can play pass coverage. We needed at least one more outside of Rashad Bauman.

Hopefully, more help will turn up.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 09:52 PM   #18
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Where's the Ade Jimoh Fan Club when ya need em! Step in and defend your man!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 09:59 PM   #19
Portis
Camp Scrub

I think we we need depth after Rashad Bauman. I am not sold on Ade Jimoh. Last season, when ever he come on field he gave away a touchdown. Sorry there is nothing personal but he is just not a player talent wise who can cover a WR in NFL.
Portis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:05 PM   #20
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

This sucks. I was eagerly anticipating Jerametrius Butler Fan Club on our message board

What about Mario Edwards or Will Peterson? What's their status? I know Peterson is restricted so I don't know what we'd have to give up for him
Old 03-11-2004, 10:49 PM   #21
joecrisp
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootsmack
This sucks. I was eagerly anticipating Jerametrius Butler Fan Club on our message board

What about Mario Edwards or Will Peterson? What's their status? I know Peterson is restricted so I don't know what we'd have to give up for him
As far as I know, Edwards is still available. Peterson, as you mentioned is an RFA. Others I believe are still available include:
David Macklin
William Bartee
Juran Bolden
Ralph Brown
Terrell Buckley
Walt Harris
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:02 PM   #22
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Crisp, would you go after any of those guys? And I'm pretty sure Macklin just signed with Arizona
Old 03-11-2004, 11:10 PM   #23
EEich
The Starter

I'd take a look at Mario Edwards.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:34 AM   #24
skins009
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEich
skins009... I think you're living under some kind of delusion that we're likely to get a stud with the fifth round draft pick. On a different thread you mentioned that you'd be willing to give up McCants for a 5th rounder. Rarely will you find someone who will contribute on McCants' or Butler's level out of the gates. Sure, you might get lucky and you may find a player that will develop in a few years... but the chances aren't very good and Joe is obviously looking for players who can contribute immediately.

You have to remember that in Gibbs offense there is rarely more than 3 recievers on the field. We have Coles, gardner, and Jacobs. Jacobs should be a damn good number 3 WR for crying out loud we spent a high second round pick for him. So you can Keep McCants to or you can take a good blocking tightend in the 5th round. I would prefer to spread the talent on my team rather than stacking one position when only a couple can play. I think we can do a lot better in terms of blocking tightends than rasbey. He struggled against d-ends two years ago (part of the reason he was released) and he will be asked to block a lot of d-ends in gibbs offense. (when they are in the one back set and teams blitz up the middle.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 12:38 AM   #25
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

edwards wouldn't be a bad signing as the 3rd or 4th db. any chance we could sign bobby taylor to a semi-decent deal? either one would be good not only because of their abilities but because they'd also be signed away from divisional opponents.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 01:13 AM   #26
EEich
The Starter

Quote:
You have to remember that in Gibbs offense there is rarely more than 3 recievers on the field. We have Coles, gardner, and Jacobs. Jacobs should be a damn good number 3 WR for crying out loud we spent a high second round pick for him. So you can Keep McCants to or you can take a good blocking tightend in the 5th round. I would prefer to spread the talent on my team rather than stacking one position when only a couple can play. I think we can do a lot better in terms of blocking tightends than rasbey. He struggled against d-ends two years ago (part of the reason he was released) and he will be asked to block a lot of d-ends in gibbs offense. (when they are in the one back set and teams blitz up the middle.
Jacobs hasn't shown us anything yet... and besides, he's a Spurrier draftee... doesn't that scare you at least a little? Name one 5th round tight end drafted last year that made a significant contribution to his team.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:35 AM   #27
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

we could get lucky and draft a player like Crumpler who wasn't drafted til the 4th round a couple years ago. granted he didn't begin to shine until last year but I don't think we'd be using that pick on a tight end anyway.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 06:22 AM   #28
joecrisp
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootsmack
Crisp, would you go after any of those guys? And I'm pretty sure Macklin just signed with Arizona
You're right about Macklin; the Cardinals just got him. The Skins won't be going after Bolden, either:

Quote:

NFL | Police & Courts: Juran Bolden - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:57:48 -0800

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports free agent CB Juran Bolden's (Falcons) arraignment on charges of driving a stolen vehicle and marijuana possession has been set for April 8.

As for the other guys, I'd definitely take a look at Bartee, Brown, Buckley and Harris. Bartee and Brown don't have much mileage on them (4 years each), and could still improve. Buckley and Harris are both savvy vets, and Buckley in particular has shown he can shine in the nickel/dime role, even at an advanced age.
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 06:57 AM   #29
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Exactly why I'd look to sign Buckley. He should come comparatively cheap and would slot straight in as a nickel back and probable backup to Springs.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:20 AM   #30
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I think we can do a lot better in terms of blocking tightends than rasbey. He struggled against d-ends two years ago (part of the reason he was released) and he will be asked to block a lot of d-ends in gibbs offense. (when they are in the one back set and teams blitz up the middle.
Wrong again, skins009. Rasby didn't struggle against D-ends. He was the best blocking TE we had on the '01 Schottenheimer team. He was released by Spurrier because Spurrier said he 'didn't need' a blocking tight end -- he needed more wide receivers.

We know how that worked out.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote