Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Miguel Tejada traded to Astros.

Other Sports

Old 12-12-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
SkinsLove24/7
Special Teams

Miguel Tejada traded to Astros.

So I don't know if there are any baseball fans out there, I'm sure there are and this just pisses me off. First, because they got not much in return. This guy(Tejada) may be starting to fade in terms of production but he is a flat out leader and cornerstone of the team. They are talking about rebuilding but I honestly would start with this guy. He is the emotional leader and an experienced veteran. Angelos and McPhail are the laughing stock of baseball and as a fan it ticks me off to see this happen. You have a stud like Erik Bedard who may be traded and Brian Roberts who may be trade bait and has said he does not want to be part of a rebuilding team. They are two more guys who are studs, Bedard is flat out dominant and a lefty like that is hard to find, he is the anchor of the rotation and Brian Roberts is as good of a leadoff man as you can find and a fan favorite. I am just pissed what is happening with this organization and a few friends of mine are already planning on going to a few gams with signs or shirts to criticize the team management. Sorry to ramble.

Anyone else feel the same?
SkinsLove24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-12-2007, 11:16 PM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Miguel Tejada traded to Astros.

The Orioles were recently ranked the 2nd worst organization (forget by whom) in all of sports, just behnind the Knicks. Anyhow, it's no secret that Tejada has wanted out for the past three years. Ever since Palmeiro ratted him out, and the team didn't step forward to defend him. Love Tejada and he was great for that franchise, but they had "irreconcilable differences" Plus it's likely, from what I hear, his name will be on the Mitchell Report. The O's have enough of a stigma with steroids
Old 12-12-2007, 11:36 PM   #3
FRPLG
MVP

I've got no idea what this team is doing. They seem to hve no direction. Why would they trade Bedard if they are rebuilding? Isn't the point of rebuilding to keep and develop good young players? I get trading an aging Tejada who is slated to be on "THE REPORT" and who is nose diving in production but I don't have any clue what they are doing otherwise. What a joke. If you look at the Nationals you see a plan at least.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

I dunno what's wrong with the Orioles. I just want them to be a good team and they've been sucking hard recently. It's just a really sad situation there.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:26 AM   #5
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I dunno what's wrong with the Orioles. I just want them to be a good team and they've been sucking hard recently. It's just a really sad situation there.
I know what is wrong with them and it starts with A and ends with ngelos. I think a lot of times owners get undue criticism but in this case the guy is clearly not doing a good job as the owner. I just wish Cal could put together an investment team and buy the org. I am glad he has avoided being part of their front office under Angelos. I think he mght be a decent exec someday when he can do so for a different owner.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:56 AM   #6
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I know what is wrong with them and it starts with A and ends with ngelos. I think a lot of times owners get undue criticism but in this case the guy is clearly not doing a good job as the owner. I just wish Cal could put together an investment team and buy the org. I am glad he has avoided being part of their front office under Angelos. I think he mght be a decent exec someday when he can do so for a different owner.
Maybe Angelos gets off on running a team into the ground? Isn't there someone who can step in and be like hey, quit ruining the team?

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:45 AM   #7
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Last week they were trying to trade Brian Roberts to the Cubs too, did that happen?

I've also heard teams are interested in Bedard. The Reds, Cards, Dodgers, Red Sox, Blue Jays all made offers.

Maybe the O's are trying to be the 2007 Miami Dolphins.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:49 AM   #8
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Maybe Angelos gets off on running a team into the ground? Isn't there someone who can step in and be like hey, quit ruining the team?
Is he married? That would be the only hope for that.

I don't care if the O's stink. I go to Camden Yards every year to see either my team (White Sox) or my wife's team (Yanks). Somehow the Orioles beat both of our teams when we saw them last year, so it would be nice to see our teams actually win for once.

I saw Bedard pitch, he shut out the Sox and beat Buehrle 2-0, who made only 2 bad pitches all game, both Oriole HRs though. Great game.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:48 AM   #9
Southpaw
The Starter

Quote:
I've got no idea what this team is doing. They seem to hve no direction. Why would they trade Bedard if they are rebuilding? Isn't the point of rebuilding to keep and develop good young players?
From what I've heard, Bedard doesn't want to stay in Baltimore, which is a shame because the little bit of interest I had in the O's last season was because of his dominant pitching.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
cpayne5
Playmaker

I can't blame anyone for wanting to get out of Baltimore. As an O's fan, it is really disappointing to see these players leaving town, but I empathize.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #11
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Not a fan of Angelos and the way he's run the O's since buying the team. He needs to stay out of the Front Office. Andy MacPhail should be able to build a winner.

Yep, Bedard has already stated that he will test the free agent market after next season when his contract is due to run out. It's pretty bad when that statement is made at the end of a season that isn't the end of your contract. It's a shame too, as he is the bona fide #1 the O's have been looking for.

The O's held onto Tejada too long. Should have traded him when he was whining about it. Not that I don't like the player, his trade value plummeted after this past year, and that is the reason why he didn't get much in the trade market. However,

Breakdown of the players the O's got in the deal:
Luke Scott: OF, 29, plays all 3 positions, looks like he has some pop (.255/18/64 in 132 games last year), would be a good guy coming off the bench or starting Left Fielder if Jay Payton is traded.

Michael Constanzo: 3B, potential middle lineup hitter (.270/27/86 at AA Reading last year), shaky glove (34 errors last year), will probably start year at Norfolk

Matt Albers: SP, 24, 25-25 career minor league record between rookie and AAA ball, last year was 2-3/3.74/43K/22BB in 9 starts at AAA before being called up to Houston, where he was 4-11/5.86/71/50 in 18 starts (31 appearances). Looks like could be long relief in Baltimore.

Troy Patton: P, 22, #48 of top 50 as ranked by MLN, last year between AA and AAA was 10-8/3.51/94/44 in 24 starts. For the 'Stros, was 0-2/3.55/8/4 in 2 starts (3 appearances). Looks to be long relief with the O's

Dennis Sarfate: P, oldest of the pitchers coming from Houston (26), moved to bullpen in '07 after being a starter for most of his career, was 2-7/4.52/68/47 in 45 apperances (1 start, 4 saves), however, in 7 relief appearances for Houston last year, was 1-0/1.08/14/1. Most likely late innings relief at Baltimore.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:21 PM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Well Tejada and Roberts are both on the Mitchell Report list apparently. And Segui admitted steroid use right? Plus Jason Grimsley, not to mention Palmeiro and Jay Gibbons.

Go O's!
Old 12-13-2007, 05:49 PM   #13
wilsowilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well Tejada and Roberts are both on the Mitchell Report list apparently. And Segui admitted steroid use right? Plus Jason Grimsley, not to mention Palmeiro and Jay Gibbons.

Go O's!
Not to mention Gary Matthews jr. who was below average with the O's and then got all kinds of jacked up and became a great player all of a sudden.

Tejada doesn't surprise me one bit and if Brady Anderson didn't get out of baseball in the nick of time you better believe he would be on this list. IMO.

Peter Angelos ruined my love of the O's many years ago. Go Nats!
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #14
SkinsLove24/7
Special Teams

Quote:
I just wish Cal could put together an investment team and buy the org. I am glad he has avoided being part of their front office under Angelos. I think he mght be a decent exec someday when he can do so for a different owner.

I think that is every Orioles fans dream. Cal is a legend in the area and he is a smart man. He knows talent and could run the team. Plus the fact is that with Cal at the helm, he could do no wrong, whatever he would say or do would be right, because he gets that much admiration and respect in Baltimore.
SkinsLove24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote