Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

50th running of the Daytona 500!

Other Sports

Old 02-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #16
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

Re: 50th running of the Daytona 500!

I was surprised more wasn't made after the race of Dale Jr's failure to pit those two last cautions at the end of the race. I heard one of the commentators mention Tony Eury Jr. telling Little "E" that he had intended for him to pit on that last caution, but due to all the radio chatter he couldn't get to him in time. Then, on the last couple of laps it looked as if Jr. was going to make a run for the lead when he ducked down low in the draft (who was that he drafted?) but his car drifted up the banking most likely due to old tires. Pretty boring race with the exception of the last 20-30 laps. Great production overall though with all the nastalgic pieces, interviews, etc. I'm very surprised, and fearful being a Chevy fan, of the apparent rise of Toyota. They look very strong and with a determined, yet immature 22-yr. old behind the wheel of one of Joe Gibbs' cars (Kyle Busch), I look for that team to really challenge the Hendricks stable this season.

Advertisements
Old 02-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #17
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I was surprised as to how the COT has levelled the playing field with GM and the rest of the world. Dodge had an amazing showing, and Toyota did the best they ever did.
Dodge really finished strong...but other than Kurt Busch and Kane showing up near the front for brief stints, I hadn't seen any of them all day. I really think that most of this year will be the Gibbs team vs. the Hendricks team...wouldn't surprise me if all 7 drivers made the chase. The COT car definitely puts more in the drivers hands, so the best drivers will rise to the top...regardless of what type of car they're in.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #18
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by canthetuna View Post
really? I never watch nascar, but with jg racing going to toyota, and seeing as how I love Joe, Toyota, Home Depot, and M and Ms... I figured I'd watch. I was not disappointed. I saw the last 47 laps.

It looked to me like tony had a faster car and he was trying to go low to block his teammate which lost him speed, and when the other 2 cars were drafting up top he got passed...

but im really new at the racing thing. i liked it though it looked great in hd.
Good thing you watched just the last 47 laps...as the first 153 were fairly uneventful...

Kyle Busch had probably the strongest car of the day, however Tony was fighting off 2 teammates at the end, and they got a huge push and got past Tony...he was also on the high line, and mentioned that he had a tough time on the high line all day. He dropped down to try and hook up with Kyle Busch for one last push, but they couldn't get it done.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #19
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Good thing you watched just the last 47 laps...as the first 153 were fairly uneventful...

Kyle Busch had probably the strongest car of the day, however Tony was fighting off 2 teammates at the end, and they got a huge push and got past Tony...he was also on the high line, and mentioned that he had a tough time on the high line all day. He dropped down to try and hook up with Kyle Busch for one last push, but they couldn't get it done.

well I'm a racing noob, but it seemed to me like he could've tried to stay in front of the blue cars and they would've pushed him into the win. It looked like he just bailed out of the way.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #20
cpayne5
Playmaker

Tony was outnumbered when he was running up high. Yes, Kurt Busch and Ryan Newman were behind him, but they were teammates (read, drafting partners). They could have passed Tony easily. Tony's only chance was to get his own drafting partner - Kyle Busch. Unfortunately, it didn't work out and the two Penske cars rolled on by the two JGR cars. Ryan Newman is a good guy, though, so it's OK.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #21
jsarno
Franchise Player

Well, Newman won cause his teammate was OK with coming in 2nd. No JGR racer won cause they wanted to win more than be a teammate.
I'd have to wager that Joe Gibbs will bring that up at some point.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #22
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

I think we'll see a pattern of teamwork this year evolve once drivers realize that it's going to take teammates to win races with these new cars. The egos at JGR are going to have to get over themselves to win races. Junior had a pretty strong car as well, but in the end he was by himself as Gordon, Johnson and Cal Naught...I mean Mears were all 3 either off the track or way out of contention.

Kurt Busch said in the post-race article that up until the very end, he was looking for a window to pass Newman. I don't think he was OK with coming in 2nd, but it's something he settled for since he couldn't pass Newman.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote