Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins' Secondary Woes

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Redskins' Secondary Woes

Do they actually run deeper than Tryon? You bet!

My thoughts on the matter here.

Quote:
Well, at the end of last year (last 5 games or so), the Redskins' pass coverage units collapsed. Certainly, lack of sacks were a factor in the collapse--and two TD passes against the normally reliable Carlos Rogers didn't help--but the Redskins at one point in the season were doing well at pass defense, and the sacks weren't concentrated in one part of the year, particularly. No, the Redskins pass defense failed due to it's coverage units, and the Redskins didn't really fix the problem in the offseason.
Your thoughts after the jump.

Advertisements
Old 08-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: Redskins' Secondary Woes

No pass rush = no pass defense. But it's not like we don't have question marks. Rogers hasn't put it all together yet. He's played well in stretches but not a whole season. Hall played like shit in Oakland but seemed to play decent when he got here. I think Hall will bounce back and get to his playing level in Atl. Horton should be better but I'm really expecting Landry to start to play at a Pro Bowl level. Smoot is OK. Barring injury and an improved pass rush we should be good in the secondary.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
roth74va
Special Teams

To me....it seems like your over-analyzing a bit, since the Redskins were a Top 5 defense last year, and should be even better this year. I did enjoy the article though, a very good read.
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by roth74va View Post
To me....it seems like your over-analyzing a bit, since the Redskins were a Top 5 defense last year, and should be even better this year. I did enjoy the article though, a very good read.
I think one of the main points I tried to make is that I didn't think we were a top 5 D, but all the same, I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Old 08-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

Barnes looked pretty good to me what do yall think?
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
roth74va
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethiesmanfan View Post
Barnes looked pretty good to me what do yall think?
Which game? First game not so good, second game I thought he was much better. Id say the same thing for Tryon as well, but its still preseason.

If we can stay healthy, I feel like our secondary is fairly solid. But if we have an injury or two, and Tryon/Barnes are forced into duty, things could get ugly quick. I dont like Smoot as a starter, but I feel like he does just fine as the 3rd CB. Hopefully Rogers calf isnt a lingering problem, it sounds way too similar to Springs issues last year. Horton is improving steadily, and Landry is a beast. Like Gtripp said though, Landry is the key and if we were to lose him its gonna be a long season.
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
GMScud
Swearinger

Good analysis. I do however think a much improved pass rush will help the secondary simply because opposing QBs will be rushed into throws (often times for shorter yardage), and hopefully the pressure will affect their accuracy as well. It may not make a huge difference, but it can't hurt.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
firstdown
Living Legend

The offense might not be a dynamic downfield passing attack, and it might never be. But it enters the third preseason game with zero gaping holes.

Good read but you lost me right here.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
SouperMeister
Playmaker

One thing that has bothered me about the D since Sean Taylor's death is that Landry hasn't taken ownership of the deep middle of the field. Compared to being at FedEX and seeing the whole field, TV coverage didn't do justice to how #21 took away the middle of the field. For whatever reason, Landry hasn't delivered enough signature hits and plays on the ball that make receivers/QBs think twice about testing his space. I want to see Kareem Moore get some time at FS, freeing Landry to play close to the line of scrimmage in his more natural SS role. I feel that should be the D's standard safety package on 3rd down passing situations.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
The offense might not be a dynamic downfield passing attack, and it might never be. But it enters the third preseason game with zero gaping holes.

Good read but you lost me right here.
do explain our gaping holes?
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #11
MTK
\m/

Not sure I agree that we have or will have "woes" in the secondary. A good pass rush cures all, and even then, I like the talent in the secondary to begin with.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #12
ChickenMonkey
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
No pass rush = no pass defense. But it's not like we don't have question marks. Rogers hasn't put it all together yet. He's played well in stretches but not a whole season. Hall played like shit in Oakland but seemed to play decent when he got here. I think Hall will bounce back and get to his playing level in Atl. Horton should be better but I'm really expecting Landry to start to play at a Pro Bowl level. Smoot is OK. Barring injury and an improved pass rush we should be good in the secondary.
The secondary is actually going to be a problem, at the nickle spot. Everone underestimated Shawn Springs value to this team, having him here allowed Rogers to play the nickle...Smoot playing the nickle is a liability, it will show up several times this yr and it needs to be addressed.
The Patriots game should give us a good idea of how bad its going to be!
ChickenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #13
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
One thing that has bothered me about the D since Sean Taylor's death is that Landry hasn't taken ownership of the deep middle of the field. Compared to being at FedEX and seeing the whole field, TV coverage didn't do justice to how #21 took away the middle of the field. For whatever reason, Landry hasn't delivered enough signature hits and plays on the ball that make receivers/QBs think twice about testing his space. I want to see Kareem Moore get some time at FS, freeing Landry to play close to the line of scrimmage in his more natural SS role. I feel that should be the D's standard safety package on 3rd down passing situations.
Landry is good. What Sean did was special. It's not like there are any other safeties in the league who commanded that much of the field. Landry won't ever be able to do that.

I think we're slowly forgetting that ST was on the easy way to being the best or quite nearly the best safety in league history. He was probably going to do things for an extended period of time that were simply extraordinary.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #14
GridIron26
Playmaker

Good read! Although I'm not sure if it's all about secondary though.. Every team's secondary have let big plays to happen once in a while.. I guess I would have to pick Hall as an weakness, he is good but he also gambles.. Hall did let some big plays to happen but he got lucky (Eagles game comes to the mind, DeSean dropped the ball two times.) Rogers doesn't do that often, at all? I think the nickel back is our main problem, Smoot lost more than a step as he always give this a huge lofty space between him and WR.. I'm hoping Barnes or maybe Tryon will manage to crack as nickel starter later in the season.. I'm pretty sure Horton will improve with his coverage areas, since he seems to be still a leveled head.. As for Landry, I truly hope he will break out this season or otherwise I would be very disappointed..

Sean Taylor, nobody could commanded the field the way he did.. My heart stops when his name is brought up.. It is one of very disappointing tragic events, he could have been the best one we ever watched in our life time (and he still is to this day).. There will not be someone who we could find to replicate like him.. If he is still here with us, then we would be basically guaranteed to be #1 defense, along with Orakpo and Haynesworth.. Taylor and Landry would have freedom to roam all over the field, which will put fear into every opponents..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #15
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenMonkey View Post
The secondary is actually going to be a problem, at the nickle spot. Everone underestimated Shawn Springs value to this team, having him here allowed Rogers to play the nickle...Smoot playing the nickle is a liability, it will show up several times this yr and it needs to be addressed.
The Patriots game should give us a good idea of how bad its going to be!

I agree. New England's offense doesn't play around like our mickey mouse offense does. It will be a very good test.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote